Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 44,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S3 device status detected as "modified" after JB update yesterday night.

Tip us?

Tony_YYZ
Old
Thanks Meter 95

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadigre View Post
I suspect that they are checking not just the presence of "rooting" app in the system folder, but also other "rooting" files anywhere else on the phone... I'm sure they do this because just by removing my microsd card, even if the only files present were music and jpg file, the status went from modified to normal.

So a temp unroot might not necessarily fix this problem for you.
Hmm, hopefully the answer surfaces from one of the devs soon.
CANADA | ROGERS | NEXUS 5 | D820 | KK 4.4.4 | Stock w/Root & Xposed
Nexus 7 FHD Tablet | FLO | KK 4.4.4 | Stock w/Root & Xposed

http://www.infowerxsolutions.com - Check us out for cheap US roaming plans (Canadians)

yulet
Old
Thanks Meter 98
I have ROOT but my Device Status is Normal

Sent from my SGH-I747M

zadigre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulet View Post
I have ROOT but my Device Status is Normal

Sent from my SGH-I747M
which su binary are using (supersuser or supersu)?

I think that supersu has an option to hide the root availability... is this the one that you are using?
Videotron - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900W8 (HLTE - CM 11 nightly or Temasek builds) & Galaxy NOTEPRO 12.2 WiFi (stock TW ROM)
The Following User Says Thank You to zadigre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

howlingmoon12
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsupnow View Post
Yea mine was modified going into the ota update it updated fine then after when you checked software update it said it was modified and that updates were no longer available

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium
Sam here, as far as I can tell it wasn't as a result of the SD card. It was fine when I had stock unrooted Rogers ALH1, but it changed to modified when I flashed the root injected Rogers ALH1 for the no counter trip thread, and it was in ODIN too.
Galaxy S4 (4.2.2) Stock-Rogers
Galaxy S3 (4.1.1) Stock -Rogers-Unlocked
Galaxy S2 LTE/Skyocket (4.0.4 Stock)-Rogers-Unlocked
Desire HD (2.3.6 Stock HK) -Telus - Unlocked
Xperia X10 (2.3.3 Stock Global) - Rogers - Unlocked

acloaf
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadigre View Post
which su binary are using (supersuser or supersu)?

I think that supersu has an option to hide the root availability... is this the one that you are using?
I'm also rooted on the JB update and status shows normal. I'm using supersu but can't find an option to hide. With rooted ics it always showed modified.

I wasn't sure if it was connected to the flash counter in some way since I'm not at 0 anymore but apparently that's not the case.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

caha2639
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by acloaf View Post
I'm also rooted on the JB update and status shows normal. I'm using supersu but can't find an option to hide. With rooted ics it always showed modified.

I wasn't sure if it was connected to the flash counter in some way since I'm not at 0 anymore but apparently that's not the case.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app
It's all based upon files in /system ALSO flash counter.

Modified, meh.

Just if you DO NOT root and updated to JB 4.1 and it now shows modified...that's weird.

Yet most of the time when you flash to a rooted version and it says modified thats cause of /system files and flash counter.

zadigre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by caha2639 View Post
It's all based upon files in /system ALSO flash counter.

Modified, meh.

Just if you DO NOT root and updated to JB 4.1 and it now shows modified...that's weird.

Yet most of the time when you flash to a rooted version and it says modified thats cause of /system files and flash counter.
My phone has a stock rom and flash counter is 0.
This morning, I had all my music files on my microsd card... Status was modified. I removed all files, reboot... Status normal. Yes this is weird.
Videotron - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900W8 (HLTE - CM 11 nightly or Temasek builds) & Galaxy NOTEPRO 12.2 WiFi (stock TW ROM)

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,168

DONATE TO ME
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions go in Q&A
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

tvf_tez_e
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same weird problem too. I bought my phone 4-5 days ago from a famous shop. It was totally new and unused, never rooted, never flashed anything, no simlock, no root required app installed AND no sdcard. These days it is mostly Modified, rarely it turns to Normal after restarting the device...

zadigre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
I don't know what was really going on... I removed one song, got the "Normal" status. I removed some other files, got "modified". ReAdd the first file that was removed, got the "Normal" status again.

What I've decided to do is put my memory card in my MacBook Pro. I got an error that the card wasn't readable. My MacBook is supposed to support SDXC standard with and extFAT formated card... so it looks like that my card had a problem. I decided to reformat the card with FAT32 even if SDXC card are supposed to be extFAT. I put the card back into my phone. I synched all music files.... and I got the "normal" status again. I modified my playing list in iTunes... I synched again... status stil shown as "normal".

So I don't know what was the problem exactly... I suppose that the file system on the card was damaged in some way... but I really do not know what caused this problem at first.
Anyway it works fine now... so this is the most important thing.