Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,276 Members 39,509 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.1+] Silence -- a scheduler for changing your ringer and other settings!

Tip us?

skmpowdjy
Old
(Last edited by skmpowdjy; 10th February 2013 at 04:52 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Default [APP][2.1+] Silence -- a scheduler for changing your ringer and other settings!

--+ Silence +--

Hello! I'm posting to tell you all about an app that some friends and I have just released to the Google Play Store, called Silence!

Silence allows you to toggle your sound and system settings automatically over scheduled intervals.

With this app, never again will you have to worry about silencing your phone during that important meeting, or even missing calls and texts later in the day because you forgot to turn the volume back up. Simply put in your schedule, choose your toggles, and forget about it. Let us do all the work for you.

Features:
- Simple, intuitive Holo-themed interface
- Schedule events that occur once, or repeat on certain days of the week
- ...or, use your events from Google Calendar*!
- Change your ringer, notifications**, media, or alarm volumes over scheduled intervals
- Turn Wi-fi, Bluetooth, mobile data***, and airplane mode**** on and off
- Change your settings back automatically when the scheduled event ends

The permissions requested are required to be able to change the state of your phone automatically. The ad-supported, free version of Silence uses internet permissions only to display advertisements. We do not collect any data from you.

Feel free to contact us with any suggestions, concerns, or feedback! If one of the toggles isn't working for you, please send us an email with your phone model and Android version so we can fix it!

* Calendar support only in Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and up. We are working on support for older devices!
** Notification volume and ringer volume are combined in Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and up. If you are running a custom ROM which splits them back into separate volumes, check the appropriate option in the settings menu to set each volume separately.
*** Mobile data toggling is only supported on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and up. This toggle is in BETA so unfortunately does not support the "change back" option for now. If you find this toggle does not work on your device, please email us with your phone model and Android version so we can fix it!
*** Airplane mode is not supported in Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean r2) and up.

What's new
v2.0
- New look and feel
- Support for repeating events "until" a certain date
- In addition to ringer, you can now also toggle notification*, media, and alarm volumes
- Set specific volume levels for each sound toggle
- Integration with Google Calendar events*
- Added the ability to toggle mobile data* (beta)

* For certain Android versions only; see above description for details.

v1.0
- Initial Release

Things to look forward to:
- The ability to "whitelist" certain contacts, so that their calls always come through no matter what the phone is set to
- A homescreen widget which allows for quick activation of a preset profile
- An option for 24-hour format
- Other suggestions from our users!

** Unfortunately, we cannot support GPS toggling nor airplane mode on 4.2+. Access to these settings are restricted to system apps, even when rooted. **

Screenshots:

Download on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bs.silence.ads

Silence is all about being simple and easy-to-use, not to mention being totally convenient. We'd greatly appreciate it if you'd take a few minutes to check out the app. Please leave any feedback and/or suggestions for us! Thanks!
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to skmpowdjy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skeswa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default A rarely well-designed app

The other day, while browsing the newest offerings of the android market, I noticed Silence and decided to give it a shot. Rest-assured it was a worthy investment of my time. Tasker may have better functionality, but Silence has a sheek user experience that is difficult to find anywhere else. I recommend Silence as the next Utility app to add to your arsenal.

magn2o
Old
Thanks Meter 261
Beautiful app! Any chance of getting a whitelist to allow certain contacts to ring through when silenced, or possibly a ring-threshold (eg. If the same number calls x times in y minutes then ring regardless of settings)?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magn2o For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jesus_c
Old
Thanks Meter 290
+1 for white / black lists and ability to change more options
F. E. Location based toggle Wifi, nfc based toggles

vbauer86
Old
(Last edited by vbauer86; 10th December 2012 at 10:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 93
Can you implement the feature that calls are allowed while notification and other sounds are muted like ''quiet hours'' in cm10?

I think noone wants to miss an important call during the silent shedule.

greetz

€ Maybe some translations too, so this app would become more popular

andrewb_nz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbauer86 View Post
Can you implement the feature that calls are allowed while notification and other sounds are muted like ''quiet hours'' in cm10?

I think noone wants to miss an important call during the silent shedule.
I agree I love the quiet hours feature in CM Roms I cant do without it which means currently I will only install a CM based rom

drtrask
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Suggested feature/option

This seems like a great utility, but it still requires a couple "switches" to truly live up to its name ... specifically:
  • Ability to toggle/adjust notification volume
  • Ability to toggle/adjust alarm volume

Additionally, it would be great if you could backup/restore settings to/from the SD card. This way, you could transfer settings between devices ... or through an OS flash.

stegg
Old
Thanks Meter 46
why don't add a root-feature for 4.2 users? so airplane and wifi switches will work
Samsung Note 10.1" 2014 --- stock KK rooted
Huawei G700 --- stock 1.15 JB rooted
Nook ST --- stock rooted 1.21

Get 5GB extra storage space when using this referral link for 15GB free space at copy.com:
https://next-d.copy.com?r=GLAxcH for a total of 20GB

al16000
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Maybe beyond the scope of what you want to do - but would you be able to add a feature that could integrate with Google Calendar and silence when you have a 'busy' appt? That would be really nice for non-weekly meetings, etc. I use Tasker to do this now, but it would be nice to have an easier interface to work with. Just an idea - appreciate what you have done!

painter_
Old
Thanks Meter 151
It would be great if you could grab the free / busy information from the native calendar app and set up a profile based on schedule.

The Following User Says Thank You to painter_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]