Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,851 Members 47,041 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

i wanna root my sg3... is it worth it?

Tip us?

daikayroxx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default i wanna root my sg3... is it worth it?

i dont know if i should root my sg3 or not! kinda scared, and whats the best program to root this device without crashing? and what are the chances to get the jellybean update... (im a verizon customer) .. lol anyways any kind of info helps.. thnx!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

x714x
Old
(Last edited by x714x; 5th December 2012 at 07:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 266
You don't need to root to get a stock jellybean release on your phone. You would use a program called odin and put your phone into download mode and it will flash the system on your phone. If you don't like it or need to warranty your phone you just odin back to a official verizon release.

You can follow this guide, you would need 1,2,and 8. Then just follow the steps included. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1974114

Rooting is something you would do if you wanted to run apps or alter system files that require special privileges to access, read or write. A good reason to root is flash a custom recovery. The custom recovery will allow you to make backups of your phone. If something breaks on your system you can simply restore a backup in like 10 mins and its good as new

If you want to flash a rom then you will need to rooted AND have your bootloader unlocked. Its a pretty easy process to do everything as long as you pay attention. I.e. don't flash a rom meant for another carriers S3 or the international S3 cause you will hard brick your phone and have to mail it to someone with like $60 to get it fixed :P A good rom to try first would be CleanRom imo. There are many guides around this forum, just read em and reread em then go at it. If you are unsure about something then ask before you do it.

P.s. Backup your imei...... here is a great guide on how to do everything... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1762709
T-Mobile LG G2 | T-Mobile HTC One M8
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to x714x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

codidley
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I just recently had to make the same decision! Finally, after a good bit of research and youtube video watching, I decided to go ahead with the root process and couldn't be happier! Especially with Verizon being so far behind right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to codidley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bobAbooE
Old
Thanks Meter 307
It's so easy to do. Just read and follow all the steps.

Just my 2 cents,I couldn't imagine having a non rooted phone. Even if you don't want to flash a rom, getting the bloat off is worth it. Some apps can be disabled now but a few still linger.

yarsh
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I may still have 'noob' status on this forum, but I have been lurking here for years. And I have rooted all of the Android phones that I have had (Droid Incredible, Thunderbolt, and now GS3). I don't do much with my rooted phones, but being able to run a version of the operating system (JB) that seems like it will never make it out of Verizon R&D is totally worth it.

The root method for the S3 is incredibly easy. And there is plenty of help on these forums. Just make sure you read the info before moving forward, and all should be well.

sipock97
Old
Thanks Meter 86
I would say go Root. I too have been following the forums, and you will find an incredible amount of information on this site. Helpful people as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

funnyperson1
Old
Thanks Meter 127
I'd say go for it, why wait for the jelly bean update when you can get it from leaked ROMS already.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
Samsung Galaxy Note II SCH-i605 - Sophisticated 3.1
Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon SCH-535 - CleanROM 8.1

drbveb88
Old
Thanks Meter 1,279
I would definitely root. There are so many roms, mods, themes that you can flash and it seems like something new every week. Plus this maybe one of the easiest phones to root that there is. There many guides that will help you and the community is wonderful.

You have v6 camero dont you want the v8 top of the line?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
Sent by my Note 3...for recreational use only!!

NeoMagus
Old
Thanks Meter 470

DONATE TO ME
Make sure you do your research before hand, there is more than enough info on here but really there is no reason not to unless your phone was given to you by your job or something
Nexus 7 16GB C8 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
Nexus 7 32GB v2 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy Nexus 32GB 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy SIII 32GB 4.4.4 CM11 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy Note 3 NC2 4.4.2 / Rooted

"Executing sudo command."

imtoomuch
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by x714x View Post
You don't need to root to get a stock jellybean release on your phone. You would use a program called odin and put your phone into download mode and it will flash the system on your phone. If you don't like it or need to warranty your phone you just odin back to a official verizon release.

You can follow this guide, you would need 1,2,and 8. Then just follow the steps included. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1974114

Rooting is something you would do if you wanted to run apps or alter system files that require special privileges to access, read or write. A good reason to root is flash a custom recovery. The custom recovery will allow you to make backups of your phone. If something breaks on your system you can simply restore a backup in like 10 mins and its good as new

If you want to flash a rom then you will need to rooted AND have your bootloader unlocked. Its a pretty easy process to do everything as long as you pay attention. I.e. don't flash a rom meant for another carriers S3 or the international S3 cause you will hard brick your phone and have to mail it to someone with like $60 to get it fixed :P A good rom to try first would be CleanRom imo. There are many guides around this forum, just read em and reread em then go at it. If you are unsure about something then ask before you do it.

P.s. Backup your imei...... here is a great guide on how to do everything... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1762709
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

I rooted my Droid Incredible and my Kindle Fire. Both were easy with a tutorial. It made the Kindle Fire a whole new device. I was waiting to root my S3 until after Verizon released the JB update, but seeing the quoted post above, it looks like I don't have to wait for Verizon.

I believe there is a one click root method for the VZW S3 so there's really no reason not to root!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2