just wanted to share with you the subject. I'm not a developer, so I cannot go too deeply in the procedure below. what I can ensure is that is working on my personal device, Padfone 2 model A68, bought in Italy with stock firmware IMM76I.WWE_126.96.36.199-0.
should you decide to go for it, remember, I'm just a simple user willing to share a procedure that worked for him, I'm not a smartphone OEM... Accordingly:
I'll not be held responsible if you brick, melt, destroy your device, by following the below procedure... you are the solely and ultimate responsible of your actions and your property.
if after you unlock or root your phone you need to lock it back, or put it in a Virgin "out-of-the-box" state.... cannot help. consider this procedure irreversible.
If you understand the above and concur, well, you can go for the below procedure. otherwise you're kindly requested to stop reading here and NOT continue. tks a lot.
the rooting method is quite straight-forward, getting a stock boot.img and manipulate its ramdisk so that the device can then boot insecure.
A HUGE thanks to Schriss for his strong support in letting me understand what I was doin on my device
And also a thanks to ChainFire and his insecure adbd (here)
WHAT YOU NEED
1. a padfone 2 with more than 70% battery available, and the above firmware installed (you might wanna try also if your device has different firmware, but I cannot garantee on the results you'll get.
2. this INSECURE ICS boot.img
2a this insecure JB boot.img
2b. you might wanna try this TW JB boot.img from TW JB
3. a valid ADB and FASTBOOT package (lots available within XDA, or already available if you have andorid SDK installed from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html)
4. a valid "su" binary, again you can find it in XDA or attached to this post.
5. Valid usb drivers (see mama ASUS website)
6. the infamous "UnLock.apk" (again kindly provided by ASUS)
ONE CLICK procedure (script based) kindly provided by Padfone.cl
STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE (MS WINDOWS OS Only)
0. place all of the files (boot.img, adb and fastboot exe's, SU binary) in one folder of your pc and open a cmd session in it.
1. install drivers at point 5 above
2. Unlock your bootloader: install the apk at point 6. above follows all the instructions to get a bootloader unlocked
3. once done the phone can be put in FASTBOOT mode (black screen with "Fastboot MODE !!!" and ASUS LOGO) , with one of the two methods below.
3a. power off device. then push and hold power on + vol up.
3b. if your device is connected to your pc, verify it is in debug mode (under setup/development) and run "adb reboot-bootloader"
4. if not already done connect the device to your pc and wait the drivers selfconfiguring
5. check if fastboot.exe see your device, type in cmd "fastboot devices", if nothing is shown means you're missing drivers, or using a bad fastboot exe.
6. check if your device boots with the insecure img at point 2. of what-you-need list. type in cmd "fastboot boot boot.img"
6a. if it reboots normally... CONGRATS your device is ok with my boot.img and you can root your phone
6b. if it goes into bootloop or bootlock or in QHUSB_DLOAD state, well sorry you cannot go ahead. just push and hold power on your device. it will reboot using its boot.img Sorry no root for you
7. if you're lucky and you get 6a response, you can now ROOT your device
7a. in cmd session type the below
adb remount (system answer "remount succeded" that's a confirmation you can act as superuser)
adb push su /system/bin/
chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
type exit, to get off the adb shell.
7b. Collect superuser.apk at the end of this post and place it in same folders of adb.
In cmd session type
"adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/app/Superuser.apk"
IF YOU JUST WANT YOUR DEVICE ROOTED PROCEDURE STOPS HERE FOLLOWING IS JUST an ADDED-ON
8. OPTIONAL just in case you want to keep the insecure adbd onboard, not necessary to mantain root condition.
8a. put the device in FASTBOOT mode as above and type in cmd "fastboot flash boot boot.img", this just overwrite your stock boot.img and inoculate the insecure boot.img in your device on a stable basis.
guess it's all.
let me know if it's working for you gentlemen, and remember the disclaimer above and in general just make sure you always know what you're doin... I'll post the boot.img file shortly during today.