Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,920 Members 42,399 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Tip us?

OwenW71
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

I'm having the dreaded 'SD Card Unexpectedly Removed' issue. The card seems to work fine in other devices, but my Note 2 cannot deal with it. Mine is a SanDisk 32GB Class 4. It was working fine for weeks, and now all of a sudden, it loses the card every time the phone goes to sleep. Once the phone wakes up, it flashes the warning, then says 'Preparing SD Card', and it works fine until the phone goes to sleep.

I noticed that many Verizon Note 2 users are having the same issue...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...y-removed.html

Is anyone else seeing this problem?
SGH-T889, rooted, CWM, debloated stock ROM
SGH-i897 build 1105, LANIGHT v6.5, Devil Kernel, Voodoo App (Backup)
HTC Aria CM7 (AT&T, sold)
HTC Wildfire(Bee) rooted, no ROMs (Alltel, sold)
HTC Touch Diamond CM 6.1 (WinMo, Alltel, sold)

kpursuer
Old
Thanks Meter 6
It did happen to me with my sandisk 32GB class 4 card. I swapped it with a 16 GB card from a 2 year old
moto droid unused in my basement dump and it worked. It has been over 3 wks now and no issues. I dont think it is a device fault but sense that many note 2 users have bumped into this issue lately..something fishy.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

lazirahs
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi guys.. I've same issue last night.. All data missing.. Cannot open on computer also.. Any solution?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

eijisawakita
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I had this problem also. I had 32 gb class 10 sandisk sdcard 1st time I bought this phone. It was working fine for the 1st 3 weeks but after that I got that dreaded message everytime I wake my phone. I thought its my phones hardware but when my brother and I swapped cards, that message never appeared again. I currently have a 16 gb class 10 sd. My brother has tmobile galaxy s2, that message showed after 2 days of using that card. I reformatted that card and checked it for errors multiple times. There was no problem. I dont know probably some samsung phobes have issues about sdcard 32 gb and above. I have read it in galaxy s3 forums also.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Esevw
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I'm actually having a similar problem with my sn2 not reading my 32gb SanDisk card, I'm going to try to reformat it and see what happens. Just got the phone two days ago.
Previous phones

G1---HTC Hd2---HTC HD7---Samsung Galaxy S2--Galaxy Note 2

Esevw
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I fixed my problem by installing the new twrp 2.3.2.3 recovery using goo manager. I followed these instructions from the twrp website.
In goo manager tap menu on your phone and hit install openRecoveryScript, tap yes, verify filename displays your devices name and hit yes. The file will download and install on your device, now reboot.

Hopefully this helps people
Previous phones

G1---HTC Hd2---HTC HD7---Samsung Galaxy S2--Galaxy Note 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Esevw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

havocd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have a sandisk 64gb class 10 I havent had this problem as of yet...

OwenW71
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

The Following User Says Thank You to OwenW71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jacky37
Old
Thanks Meter 13
My Sandisk class 10 32gb card died on me too. Went to best buy exchanged for another one, reformat it. ... so far so good.

OwenW71
Old
(Last edited by OwenW71; 8th December 2012 at 05:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.

The Following User Says Thank You to OwenW71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]