5,598,657 Members 39,928 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google wallet working on Note 2

Tip us?

WarlockLord
Old
(Last edited by WarlockLord; 3rd May 2013 at 04:36 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 632
Default Google wallet working on Note 2

DO NOT USE THE ZIP ON 4.1.2 based ROMS. For 4.1.2 roms: Copy wallet R96 into /system/app and set permissions appropriately. Files from the new Sprint leak appear to fix the "reader not detected" problem (since wallet will be officially supported on the sprint variant) and I will upload a new zip shortly. (Unless someone has time to do it sooner)

For 4.1.1 roms:

Thanks to Its Twix for the write up & ogdobber for the technical support and making the zip

A Complete and Utter Idiot's Guide to Getting Google Wallet Working on the Verizon Note II, Running Touchwiz ROMs:

1) Create a Nandroid backup in Recovery.

2) Flash NoteII-lib_nfc-fix-r87.zip from custom recovery and wipe Cache.

2) Run Google Wallet and see if it works. If you haven't setup Google Wallet before, it will most likely crash at "Setting up Google Wallet. This may take 5 minutes." *If you have already setup Google Wallet and get a crash error after switching ROMs, look for the other guide at the bottom*

3) If it crashes, use Root Explorer (I refer to Root Explorer because that's what I use but you can use any file explorer that can change permissions and mount system) to Mount system R/W and remove the Wallet apk from system/app

4) Edit build.prop (in the system folder) to be a Galaxy Nexus (CHANGES MADE BELOW).
ro.product.model=Galaxy Nexus
ro.product.name=yakju
product.device=maguro

5) Save and Exit then long press build.prop and make sure permissions are Owner: R/W Group: R Others: R

6) Reboot

7) Download Google Wallet from the Play Store

8) Set up Google Wallet and register a card. Once it finishes registering the card the app will reset.

9) When it resets and asks which account you would like to use for Wallet, close the app.

10) DELETE (not uninstall) the Wallet apk from data/app

11) Navigate to where you saved the modified Wallet zip and extract the files.

12) When the extraction completes, go to the extracted files location.

13) Copy the com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel.modaco.1.5-r87-v15.apk file and paste it in /system/app (make sure you have system mounted R/W).

14) Long press on the wallet apk file you copied and set permissions to Owner: R/W Group: R Others: R

15) Reboot

16) Run Wallet and go through the setup. It should work now instead of crashing.

17) Reboot

18) Run Wallet. If it still works after the reboot, change your build.prop back to where it was originally (CHANGES BELOW).
ro.product.model=SCH-I605
ro.product.name=t0ltevzw
product.device= t0ltevzw

19) Make sure the build.prop permissions are still Owner: R/W Group: R Others: R

20) Make another Nandroid backup.

21) Go try it out!

NOTE: Google Wallet is not usable everywhere that Bling/PayPass is! Just because it doesn't work at one place does not mean it won't work at another!
Merchants where it is (most likely) guaranteed to work can be found here: http://www.google.com/wallet/how-it-works/in-store.html. Some other places that are not listed there may still work (e.g. McDonald's). Sadly. some places you will go do not even have their Bling/PayPass system on or working so make sure it's actually working before you come back here saying your transaction didn't work.

Hope this helps. Sorry it's so thorough, I just wanted to help out some of those that might not be so used to this sort of thing.

If you are changing to a new ROM and having issues:

1) Flash the modaco r87 zip in the OP and try to run it.

2) Try to add an account. It will probably crash at Adding Account.

3) Change build.prop to be a Galaxy Nexus and fix permissions (follow step 4 of the first guide).

4) Reboot

5) Run Wallet and it should be working again. If it works, change your build.prop back to what it was originally and fix permissions (follow step 18 of the first guide).

6) Go try it out!

If you get an error about Insufficient secure element permissions, reflash the Modaco apk and reboot.

On Beans build4 there is an issue with adding cards. Keep trying and close the app occasionally when trying and it should add the card successfully.
The Following 79 Users Say Thank You to WarlockLord For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scottyr44
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlockLord View Post
Picked up my note 2 last night. Got google wallet working, activated, and my cards added. But, when I hold the phone to a paypass reader, the wallet app activates and tells me to check with the cashier to see if the transaction went through (but it didn't).

Thoughts?

Nfc.apk and NfcTest.apk or something else?
Word on the street is Verizon disabled it, pending their own app for the same purpose to make more money

R3define
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Your farther then I got. Ha. Downloaded it and it said not compatible with this device. Hope you can figure it out soon.
VZW Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Unlocked
CM 11.0 KitKat

HTC Droid DNA
Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
Motorola Bionic
Samsung Droid Charge
Droid X2
Droid X
Droid 2
Samsung Omnia

WarlockLord
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 632
Yes, but Verizon only disabled access to it from the market and left out some libs. I'm past that part already, just gotta figure out how to trigger the transaction now.

Zues532
Old
Thanks Meter 25
I will definitely be following this thread. Good work getting this far!

WarlockLord
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 632
Thanks, I was actually responsible for getting wallet working on the GS3 and then some scumbag make a video and took credit for it. Very upsetting. This time I'll make the video myself and give it to the tech sites lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WarlockLord For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Deckoz2302
Old
Thanks Meter 1660

DONATE TO ME
Ganster. Did you copy all the libs over or add anything to framework?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

WarlockLord
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckoz2302 View Post
Ganster. Did you copy all the libs over or add anything to framework?

Nothing to framework.... some libs yes. I could only get one specific version of wallet to load the secure element applet, so I used that and then afterwards I upgraded the wallet version to R87.

Made normal changes to build.prop so it thinks its a GNex. Lots of tinkering and playing though, and even if I can get it fully working, it seems the process to get it working on this device will be more complicated than the S3

Deckoz2302
Old
Thanks Meter 1660

DONATE TO ME
Is snote still working for you since you changed the build.prop to nexus or no?

WarlockLord
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckoz2302 View Post
Is snote still working for you since you changed the build.prop to nexus or no?

I changed it to Nexus just to add the cards. Once the cards were added, I changed it back.

Because this is a modified wallet, it doesn't do the device check on every run. But, in the background, it transmits the value in build.prop to google to get the OK to add the card, and if what is transmitted is not valid, google doesn't allow you to add cards.

The Following User Says Thank You to WarlockLord For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]