Tip us?

Florendroid
Old
(Last edited by Florendroid; 12th January 2013 at 02:37 AM.) Reason: update
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353
Default Metar widget for pilots

Hi everyone !

I'm proud to present my 1st app on the playstore. This is a simple widget to display METAR data ( aviation weather ) right on your homescreen.
You can also check TAFs and quick access your favorite weather and navigation website.

Check it out. Hope you'll like it. Here's the link :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GFyd2lkZ2V0Il0.

And now is also available the donate version with added features :

-3 widgets -> fancy one similar to the free version with extra data
->simple one with raw text
->tiny widget to save space on screen
-you can save up to 5 airports to scroll through on widget
-PIREPs access from widget
- choose your own widget background and text color/transparency
-4 different widget skins ( one of which transparent)
-5 different colors for the METARs/TAFs list and PIREPs list
-possibility to search for airports with METARs within 50NM of another airport ( in case your home airport doesn't offer METAR data for example)

here is the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...V0ZG9uYXRlIl0.

New versions are up for both free and donate widgets with possibility to change units ( SM -> Km and inHg -> hPa)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Florendroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sayuuk
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florendroid View Post
Hi everyone !

I'm proud to present my 1st app on the playstore. This is a simple widget to display METAR data ( aviation weather ) right on your homescreen.
You can also check TAFs and quick access your favorite weather and navigation website.

Check it out. Hope you'll like it. Here's the link :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GFyd2lkZ2V0Il0.
Hi,

first of all: thanks!
This is the first useful METAR widget that I've found.

Still, it would be even better (for me) with some improvements:
- Toggle RAW METAR (I prefer it without symbols etc), which would also allow
=> 4x1 Widget size

I'd like a 4x1 version with relatively small text (still readable on my SGS2 ), with one hitbox to refresh it and another one to open the detailed version and access the settings.
(If you could scroll it, it would be even better)

Again, thanks so much for publishing this!!

Cheers
Stefan
Nexus 7 3G <- Samsung Note 10.1 <- Nexus 7 3G <- Sony Tablet S

Motorola Razr i <- Samsung Galaxy S3 <- Samsung Galaxy S2 <- Nokia E6 <- LG Optimus 7 <- Nokia E71 <- Motorola Milestone <- Blackberry 8900 <- Nokia 5800 <- HTC TyTN II <- Blackberry 8100 <- HTC Magician <- Motorola Talkabout 180

Florendroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353
Hi Stefan.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Funny that you posted it almost at the same time I published a donate version of the app which features an additional widget with raw data !
With the donate version you're also able to add up to 5 airports to scroll through on the widget.
However the raw data widget is still a bit big in my opinion so as you suggested I'm probably gonna reduce the size of the text to make it a bit smaller.
I've updated the OP. You can take a quick look for all the extra features of the donate version.

Thanks again for downloading. Feel free to report any bug.

Meanee
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Great app, will definitely give it a shot. So far, only used AirWX, which was not updated in ages.

Kudos for giving us a free one as well. God knows flying is expensive...

As a suggestion, maybe "Closest METAR reporting station" option? For example, my home field, KLDJ, does not report METAR. But KEWR does, and it's closest. So pulling up KLDJ should give a closest station available. I know ForeFlight does this.

Florendroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanee View Post
Great app, will definitely give it a shot. So far, only used AirWX, which was not updated in ages.

Kudos for giving us a free one as well. God knows flying is expensive...

As a suggestion, maybe "Closest METAR reporting station" option? For example, my home field, KLDJ, does not report METAR. But KEWR does, and it's closest. So pulling up KLDJ should give a closest station available. I know ForeFlight does this.
Thanks.
I'm also working on this option. I already coded it but there's still a tiny bug I have to fix. I'll do my best to do it fast but holidays are gonna be busy for me.

and I agree flying is soooo expensive !

deadpixell
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I like it. I think you said in the donate version that raw data is available in the widget correct?

I'm also curious if the widget could potentially be able to cycle through your 5 airports selected?

Overall big fan, the other app I've been using has never had a widget and I'm glad to someone still pilot apps for android!

doaneramma
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I'll give it a go. I have been using aviation tools, but I'm always looking at new Aviation Apps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-20-22-45-29[1].jpg
Views:	242
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1580639  

Sayuuk
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florendroid View Post
Hi Stefan.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Funny that you posted it almost at the same time I published a donate version of the app which features an additional widget with raw data !
With the donate version you're also able to add up to 5 airports to scroll through on the widget.
However the raw data widget is still a bit big in my opinion so as you suggested I'm probably gonna reduce the size of the text to make it a bit smaller.
I've updated the OP. You can take a quick look for all the extra features of the donate version.

Thanks again for downloading. Feel free to report any bug.

Donated

The 4x2 is fair enough, but as you said, you could make it smaller by working with "hitboxes", which might need some explanation for new users though.

If you add a big one in the middle that opens the detailed view (which I love btw, seeing the last 3 METARs as well is extremely useful), a small one for reloading and another small one for switching to the next airport, you should be fine and save some space.

Since it is already very nice for me (and will stay on my homescreen from now on), I'd also like to request some more color options:
- "pick your own color" (I'd like... black)
- transparency setting for the widget
Just to make it blend in with the other widgets I have.

Thanks again
Stefan
Nexus 7 3G <- Samsung Note 10.1 <- Nexus 7 3G <- Sony Tablet S

Motorola Razr i <- Samsung Galaxy S3 <- Samsung Galaxy S2 <- Nokia E6 <- LG Optimus 7 <- Nokia E71 <- Motorola Milestone <- Blackberry 8900 <- Nokia 5800 <- HTC TyTN II <- Blackberry 8100 <- HTC Magician <- Motorola Talkabout 180
The Following User Says Thank You to Sayuuk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

grunera
Old
(Last edited by grunera; 21st December 2012 at 10:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
I'll try it ASAP, thank you for this app!
Friends with Apple/IOS will move to android

EDIT: is there any chance to have visi in Km instead of SM and baro in Mb instead of inHg??
I'm french, sorry for that

suzihayabusa
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default QNH

Great widget. Thank you for it. Just a question though.
Any chance the QNH can be switched into mBar?

Tags
app android, aviation, [2.1+], [app]