Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

[Q] Help with Asus TF201

OP ramez75

7th December 2012, 01:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

78 posts
More
Hi to All,

Well I got an ASUS TF201 March 2012 and I never messed with it much, just net surfing and watching movies and listening to music....

I wanted to get rid of some apps that I dont use at all e.g Amazon Kindle but found out with research that I can do that. Also tried to use apps like Titanium Backup again I couldnt. I am new to the Tablet world this is my first. So I did some research and terms of root, unlock etc came up. So I know the difference between them. In order not to lose my warranty and since I just want to be able to delete certain unwanted apps and add other apps, I just want to for now root my TF201.

Did more research but I still cant get an answer or get some of the methods to work for me.

Below is the specs for my Asus TF201
1. So I have JB (Android Version 4.1.1), dont know if it came with it or got updated like I said I didnt mess with the tablet alot
2. Build #: JRO03C.US_epad-10.4.2.17-20121018

I plugged in the USB to my Windows XP laptop for the first time today and ofcourse I am missing the drivers. I went to ASUS website and couldnt figure what I need.

1. Does anyone have the ASUS Sync that I need on my laptop
2. Also does anyone have the drivers that I need on my laptop so my ASUS is recognized. I installed some drivers from the xda forum to use the DebugFS Root but got a message that I need to install the latest drivers. Does anyone have them or can tell share a link for me to get them.

All I want basically is to have the current drivers on my laptop and the ASUS Sync thing and be able to ROOT my tablet. Most of the threads I read are for the Android Version ICS 4.0.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated

Thanks

RB
7th December 2012, 09:26 PM   |  #2  
Texas
Thanks Meter: 256

1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramez75

Hi to All,

Well I got an ASUS TF201 March 2012 and I never messed with it much, just net surfing and watching movies and listening to music....

*SNIP*

1. Does anyone have the ASUS Sync that I need on my laptop
2. Also does anyone have the drivers that I need on my laptop so my ASUS is recognized. I installed some drivers from the xda forum to use the DebugFS Root but got a message that I need to install the latest drivers. Does anyone have them or can tell share a link for me to get them.

All I want basically is to have the current drivers on my laptop and the ASUS Sync thing and be able to ROOT my tablet. Most of the threads I read are for the Android Version ICS 4.0.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated

Thanks

RB

Asus Suite including Sync:
http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...te_v1_0_41.zip

I just went through the unlock part yesterday so fresh in the mind it ASSUMES AN SD CARD IS INSTALLED and WINDOWS OS!

Asus Unlock Tool:
http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...ice_App_V6.apk

Get TWRP for TF201Jellybean:

TWRP Page

On that page are instructions including a download link for JB BOOTLOADER ONLY! MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT TWRP FILE FOR YOUR DEVICE. THE ICS ONE IF YOU ARE ON ICS, OR THE JB ONE IF YOU ARE ON JB:
http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/tf2...-tf201-jb.blob

I got ADB from several sources but this "root method" http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460 from bin4ry is what I have been using: (And no, it doesnt work for the prime because the exploit he uses to run the device in emulator mode doesnt work for us)

Download bin4ry's root tool to get the ADB file

When that is downloaded you can compare the MD5 hash because its a good idea to do that. You can find something like winMD 5 generator:
http://www.winmd5.com/download/winmd5free.zip

Use it to generate an MD5 hash of the TWRP download to what it saysthe files MD5 hash is on the download web page. If I remember correctly I had to manually type in the MD5 hash from the page because it was an image I couldnt just copy. Or you can just visually verify with the one generated by winmd5.

Then I downloaded Ultimate Backup Tool from here:
http://goo.gl/iOUwe

Unzip it so you have fastboot.exe

Rename the TWRP you downloaded to TWRP.blob and copy it to where you have fastboot unzipped.

Finally download SuperSU zip file from:
http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn...arm-signed.zip

Now we need to unlock the device. Copy the unlocker APK to the SD card. Run a file explorer on our tables and browse to the SD card (/Removable/MicroSD). Tap the APK to install. Once installed run the Icon for the unlocker and follow directions. There are several warnings etc.. You will need wifi connected and it will unlock your device and VOID YOUR WARRANTY!.

The unlock will take a few minutes. When it is successfull you will see a notice on device boot up that says the device is unlocked.

Once unlocked, power it off. Once off power it onby holding BOTH volume down and power buttons. When you see the menu appear the first option is RCK. press Volume Down to change the cursor to be over the USB logo (two presses of the button) and press volume up. This puts your device in fastboot mode

Back on your computer you should hopefully see a successfull driver install. I got drivers from downloading and installing the Android SDK so you may or may not need to do that. Android SDK

If all is prepared and you are in fastboot with drivers loaded:
On your computer hold shift and right click on the folder where fastboot and the twrp.blob file are and you will see a context menu. Click on "Open Command Window Here"

if you don't get the command window here option then you will have to open a command prompt. open the run dialog and type CMD and hit enter. This will get a dos command windows. Use the change directory (CD) command to change the current folder in the DOS window to where your fastboot file and TWRP.blob are.

In the command window paste:

fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery twrp.blob

and hit enter

Let it runs its course. When done I had a black screen with ASUS in the middle and a blue-ish bar across the bottom that was filled. I had to hold power until it rebooted.

Once I confirmed my Stock OS loaded I copied the Super SU zip file we downloaded above over to the device via the USB cable to the root of my SD card. Once the copy complets shutdown the device again.

Once off, power it on and press and hold both the power buttons and volume down again. When the menu appears you should already have RCK (recovery) hightlighted so press volume up to load TWRP recovery.

Once TWRP loads the top left option is "Install" tap that.

You will see a few choices, select the radio button to install from SD card (external source it may say). Tap the super su zip file: Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to choose it.

Slide the slider at the bottom to the right.

This will flash superSU to your device. When done, reboot (should only take a few seconds).

When you boot up SuperSU is installed.

To test root with ADB:

Your tab must be plugged in to the USB port of the computer of course.

If you installed the SDK tools it is there or use the one from bin4ry's root tool as follows:
Unzip the downloaded root tool from bin4ry mentioned above. Use the command windows to change directory of the unzipped folder and further in to the "STUFF" folder. type:

adb shell

<hit enter>

after a few seconds you should see a $ prompt and your are in to the console of your tablet.

Type:
su root

<hit enter>

Superuser will prompt you to grant root permissions and I set the setting so it doesnt prompt me every time.

Your prompt will change to # and thats it, you are root.

I don't seem to have the command sudo on my tab so every time in a terminal I want root I will type that su root to get the # prompt.

Any apps that need root can now ask for it, you will get that same "Grant" prompt and do so if that is what you want.

ADB will now yield Root when you type: SU root and hit enter (grant root privs in the popup)etc...

Edits:
I have editted this based on questions below to make it more complete..
Last edited by hx4700 Killer; 9th December 2012 at 03:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hx4700 Killer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th December 2012, 01:04 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

78 posts
More
First Thank yo uso much for taking the time and sharing the good info. Ofcourse there is alot of foreign terminology you have used and I will need to read you reply a number of time till it soaks in and I am sure I will have follow-up questions.

So it seems the only way I can get to root my TF201 (running JB) is to unlock it which means losing the warranty. Well if thats the only route then so be it....

I guess first thing is to successfully unlock the TF201

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

Asus Suite including Sync:
http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...te_v1_0_41.zip

I just went through the unlock part yesterday so fresh in the mind it ASSUMES AN SD CARD IS INSTALLED and WINDOWS OS!

Asus Unlock Tool:
http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...ice_App_V6.apk

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/93

On that page are instructions including a download link for JB BOOTLOADER ONLY!:

When that is downloaded you can compare the MD( its a good idea to do that). You can find something like winMD 5 generator:

Use it to generate an MD5 hash of the TWRP download to what it says on the web page. If I remember correctly I had to manually type in the MD5 hash from the page because it was an image I couldnt just copy. Or you can just visually verify with the one generated by winmd5.

Then I downloaded Ultimate Backup Tool from here:
http://goo.gl/iOUwe

Unzip it so you have fastboot.exe

Rename the TWRP you downloaded to TWRP.blob and copy it to where you have fastboot unzipped.

Finally download SuperSU zip file from:
http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn...arm-signed.zip

Now we need to unlock the device. Run the unlocker tool you downloaded. For here its fuzzy for me because I found the APK file I got from the Asus download and copied it over to my tablets SD card via USB. Then I used the built in file browser to find it on my SD card and ran it. By whatever means you will need to run the unlocker tool on your tablet to unlock. You will need wifi connected and it will unlock your device and VOID YOUR WARRANTY!.

The unlock will take a few minutes. When it is successfull you will see a notice on device boot up that says the device is unlocked.

Once unlocked, power it off. Once off power it onby holding BOTH volume down and power buttons. When you see the menu appear the first option is RCK. press Volume Down to change the cursor to be over the USB logo (two presses of the button) and press volume up. This puts your device in fastboot mode

Back on your computer you should hopefully see a successfull driver install. I got drivers from downloading and installing the Android SDK so you may or may not need to do that. Android SDK

If all is prepared and you are in fastboot with drivers loaded:
On your computer hold shift and right click on the folder where fastboot and the twrp.blob file are and you will see a context menu. Click on "Open Command Window Here"

In the command window paste:

fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery twrp.blob

and hit enter

Let it runs its course. When done I had a black screen with ASUS in the middle and a blue-ish bar across the bottom that was filled. I had to hold power until it rebooted.

Once I confirmed my Stock OS loaded I copied the Super SU zip file we downloaded above over to the device via the USB cable to the root of my SD card. Once the copy complets shutdown the device again.

Once off, power it on and press and hold both the power buttons and volume down again. When the menu appears you should already have RCK (recovery) hightlighted so press volume up to load TWRP recovery.

Once TWRP loads the top left option is "Install" tap that.

You will see a few choices, select the radio button to install from SD card (external source it may say). Tap the super su zip file: Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to choose it.

Slide the slider at the bottom to the right.

This will flash superSU to your device. When done, reboot (should only take a few seconds).

When you boot up SuperSU is installed. ADB will now yield Root when you type: SU root and hit enter (grant root privs in the popup)etc...

8th December 2012, 04:02 AM   |  #4  
Texas

1,218 posts
Yes, unlock it. There is no root method for tf201 on JB outside of unlock. An exploit may come up some day but nothing soon I would wager.

I tried to organize it by Al the stuff you need to download first. Then steps to use what you downloaded. It you follow it precisely things would become clearer.
8th December 2012, 05:44 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

78 posts
More
Hi,

Ok I was going through the instructions and downloading all the necessary files and I ran into an issue with downloading the TWRP for JB. Well the link you have allows me to download either the *.img or the *.blob extensions. So I went ahead and downloaded the *.blob extension. I did the MD5 as you recommended and visually checked it with the image on the website and they dont match. I got the below

"b6bae17dac81a126d5d3ad8e27fd5007" which is entirely different than the one on the webpage. I also tried the *.img and no luck there. So I stopped. What do I do now where can I get the TWRP

Thanks

Quote:

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/93

On that page are instructions including a download link for JB BOOTLOADER ONLY!:

When that is downloaded you can compare the MD( its a good idea to do that). You can find something like winMD 5 generator:

Use it to generate an MD5 hash of the TWRP download to what it says on the web page. If I remember correctly I had to manually type in the MD5 hash from the page because it was an image I couldnt just copy. Or you can just visually verify with the one generated by winmd5.

8th December 2012, 06:09 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

78 posts
More
hx4700killer

I did some googling and found the below link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1510737

the link has "Direct apk link (dropbox)"....Is this what you referred too? I downloaded the file, should I move it to the SD card and run it from within the tablet?. Is there a way to run an apk file.

Also

I downloaded Android SDK on my laptop. I run the eclipse.exe as per the instructions on the website but nothing happens

Thank you

RB
8th December 2012, 09:35 PM   |  #7  
Texas

1,218 posts
Download the APK from the link I gave above. It comes straight from ASUS. I had gotten it 2 months ago and I guess I thougth I had run an installer and copied the APK from there but it is in fact just an APK to download directly.

When you copy it to the SD card nothing is needed to run it. Just tap on the file in a file explorer on the tablet and it will install itself. once installed run the installed unlock app and follow the directions.
The Following User Says Thank You to hx4700 Killer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th December 2012, 10:24 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

78 posts
More
The link from ASUS has a zip file. So i did download it and extract it to the SD card. Moved the SD card to the tablet but there is no apk file.....Also do i use the twrp file even if the md5 didnt match.

Thanks

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda app-developers app
8th December 2012, 11:46 PM   |  #9  
Texas

1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramez75

The link from ASUS has a zip file. So i did download it and extract it to the SD card. Moved the SD card to the tablet but there is no apk file.....Also do i use the twrp file even if the md5 didnt match.

Thanks

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda app-developers app

The second link that says it is for the unlock tool is the APK.
9th December 2012, 12:15 AM   |  #10  
OP Member

78 posts
More
Ok the unlock worked successfully. So my TF201 is unlocked.

Following the rest of your post, next thing on the hit parade is to have the correct TWRP for JB (Open_recovery_TWRP.blob). At this point the MD5sum using WinMD doesnt match the image on the website. Do I still go ahead and use it or will it cause issue....

Ofcourse I dont understand what is the use of the MD5sum number

Thanks

Quote:

Download the APK from the link I gave above. It comes straight from ASUS. I had gotten it 2 months ago and I guess I thougth I had run an installer and copied the APK from there but it is in fact just an APK to download directly.

When you copy it to the SD card nothing is needed to run it. Just tap on the file in a file explorer on the tablet and it will install itself. once installed run the installed unlock app and follow the directions.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread