Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,728 Members 44,255 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[CWM Script]Galaxy S3 CWM Wifi Bluetooth Tethering Install Script

Tip us?

linuxboxsolution
Old
(Last edited by linuxboxsolution; 30th July 2012 at 11:21 PM.) Reason: grammatical error
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Angry [CWM Script]Galaxy S3 CWM Wifi Bluetooth Tethering Install Script

Enable Wifi & Native Blue Tooth Tethering on Galaxy S3

*****Disclaimer: This has only been tested on ATT's Version of the Galaxy S 3 if it works on other Galaxys S 3 providers please let us know. But be warned that this may not work on your device if not using an ATT Samsung Galaxy S3.

Special Thaks: I want to thank Clubtech for providing the framework that allows the Tethering in the first place. I only built the script to make it an easier install for everyone. Which was per a request of the community.

Original Post For Clubtech's Enabling Wifi Tethering Tutorial

Requirements:
-Rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 (ATT Version has only been tested)
-Busybox installed on your Phone
- ATT Android STOCK ICS 4.0.4 (To check this go to Settings-->About Device-->Android Version and you'll see version 4.0.4, If you do not have ICS 4.0.4 I do not recommend trying this mod unless you possibly want a bricked phone.)
-Ensure your Build Number IMM76D.I747UCALG1 (To check this goto Settings-->About Device-->Build Number under this section you will see IMM76D.I747UCALG1.)

Steps:

1. Download the Clockwork Mod Install Script Here! (You do not have to register to download the file just click the download button)
2. Copy the script to your Internal SDCard on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Phone (you may have downloaded this file on your phone already just ensure its in the root directory of the Internal SDCard (/mnt/sdcard)
3. Reboot Phone in to Recovery Mode (Remember you will need Clock Work Mod Recovery to Install This)
4. Scroll Down to Install .zip from sdcard and click either home or power button
5. Scroll Down to Install .zip from Internal SDCard and click either the home or power button
6. Scroll Down to the line that starts with Yes blah,blah,blah (This is ensuring that you want to apply this zip. Make sure this is what you truly want to do)
7. Once installation is finished reboot the device
8. Once device is rebooted goto: Setting-->More Settings-->Tethering and Portable Hotspots Now you see that your device has Bluetooth Tethering there as an option and you will now notice if you start the Portable Wifi Hotspot your phone does not tell you to call ATTs 611 to enable this service.
9. Have fun tethering with your Galaxy S3 but remember if you aren't Grandfathered into ATTs Unlimited Data Limit then this means you do have a Data Limit and at the moment the highest they offer I believe is 2GB so any tethering being done on your phone will use your allocated Data Usage in a month and you may incur overage charges at $10.00 for each GB over 2GB. Even if you go 1MB over the 2GB data plan you will be charged the $10.00 so you might as well use the rest of the 1023MB available to you.

If you have any questions on this script please let me know. If you like this and find it usefull give some thumbs up please.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to linuxboxsolution For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DudeWatsThat
Old
(Last edited by DudeWatsThat; 29th July 2012 at 01:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 26
In other words this allows free tethering right? How does this make ATT not notice it?

--Update---

Tested it works as advertised. BTW if you can reply to my Qs.
Nexus 5:PA
Kernel:Franco

linuxboxsolution
Old
(Last edited by linuxboxsolution; 29th July 2012 at 01:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
In a sense yes. This allow you to bypass calling ATT and paying to have the ability to tether. Tethering still uses your allotted Data Usage. So in a way it's free and not free. Well however Clubtech obtained the file to open up the Tethering I do not know. But most likely because removing the old framework-res.apk from the phone and installing the new one is essentially removing ATTs code from the framework-res.apk. They may have a backup somewhere in the system that will allow them to detect tethering this I'm not sure of because I don't have access to this info. But from what I understand is they have to block it immediately because the only way they can tell data is being used on there network by a specific device is through the IMEI number so they can't tell what's behind the device being tethered to because it still shows data is being streamed from the device with IMEI xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I was thinking that the code that was in the old framework-res.apk allowed the phone to contact ATT somehow to see if this specific IMEI can have tethering enabled. That's only a thought though

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWatsThat View Post
In other words this allows free tethering right? How does this make ATT not notice it?

--Update---

Tested it works as advertised. BTW if you can reply to my Qs.
The Following User Says Thank You to linuxboxsolution For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DudeWatsThat
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxboxsolution View Post
In a sense yes. This allow you to bypass calling ATT and paying to have the ability to tether. Tethering still uses your allotted Data Usage. So in a way it's free and not free.
Not much of a problem since I have 3GB for the month, tethering would be a once or twice a month kinda thing for a very short period. Thanks for answering my Qs!
Nexus 5:PA
Kernel:Franco

drothenberger
Old
Thanks Meter 467
Default Which framework?

Which framework did you apply the mod to?

This is very important, since this script can only be run for people running a ROM whose framework is identical to the one you applied the mod to. There are already recovery scripts around for applying this mod (with the cell standby power reporting fix, too) for UCALEM (here, in the thread you mentioned in your OP) and UCALG1 (here, in the mods section).

mscott998
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I have the latest stock Rom. Ucalg I think. Can I use this or do I need to wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

drothenberger
Old
Thanks Meter 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott998 View Post
I have the latest stock Rom. Ucalg I think. Can I use this or do I need to wait.
You can use the one in the "mods" section at the bottom of this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=28672465

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

linuxboxsolution
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
My phone is updated to the most recent release from ATT 4.0.4 and the framework works fine for me. Sorry about not explaining that in my initial post i'll edit that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drothenberger View Post
Which framework did you apply the mod to?

This is very important, since this script can only be run for people running a ROM whose framework is identical to the one you applied the mod to. There are already recovery scripts around for applying this mod (with the cell standby power reporting fix, too) for UCALEM (here, in the thread you mentioned in your OP) and UCALG1 (here, in the mods section).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott998 View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
Quote:
You can use the one in the "mods" section at the bottom of this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=28672465

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

drothenberger
Old
Thanks Meter 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxboxsolution View Post
My phone is updated to the most recent release from ATT 4.0.4 and the framework works fine for me. Sorry about not explaining that in my initial post i'll edit that now.
Thanks for updating the initial post, but there are two "stock AT&T 4.0.4" releases, I believe. I think both UCALEM and UCALG1 are 4.0.4. It might be good specify the Build Number (I747UCALEM or I747UCALG1) instead, just to be sure. I know they updated the framework as part of the LG1 update.

linuxboxsolution
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Thanks for updating the initial post, but there are two "stock AT&T 4.0.4" releases, I believe. I think both UCALEM and UCALG1 are 4.0.4. It might be good specify the Build Number (I747UCALEM or I747UCALG1) instead, just to be sure. I know they updated the framework as part of the LG1 update.
Taking Care of now thanks for the warning.

Tags
att, galaxy s3, galaxy s3 tethering, samsung, tether att galaxy s3