Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 36,933 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Tip us?

privatewarrior1
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by intruda119 View Post
Would love to see a bill or picture of this. I have never heard this before.
Me too. It seems people are confused about this throttling issue. Now ATT throttles speed is at around 0.5 Mb/s. Some people may feel that they are unthrottled on such speeds.
Thinking about it: in certain markets, the HSDPA speeds are not that good: averaging 1 Mb/s. So if you're speed drops half that, you may think you are not throttled.

I had experienced this before: Once I did not know I was throttled for 10 days. My speed was OK since I was in a market with bad H+ speeds. The market had good LTE coverage but I had a non-LTE phone. When I called later, my data for that month was at 9 GB. I was surprised because I was able to do regular things. The technician informed me that my account was indeed throttled.

So speeds are in the eye of the beholder.

Jade Eyed Wolf
Old
Thanks Meter 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
Non LTE is 3GB

and LTE is 5GB

I have the international note 2 witch is NON LTE BUT I gave them the IMEI from a Note 1 and i dont get throttled til 5GB
Same here

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I think that if AT&T seems to think that 3GB of data is good enough for HSPA+ users before overage charges or throttling, and considering that LTE is about 10 times faster on average, I don't think it's unreasonable for AT&T to change their plans to allow for 10x more data before throttling or overages.

JonBryant
Old
(Last edited by JonBryant; 6th January 2013 at 08:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by intruda119 View Post
Would love to see a bill or picture of this. I have never heard this before.
Thats this months alone from his phone. Then we have the a shot from the myat&t app. Granted, the dates don't line up but you can see that there is 0 data used so far this month. ATT does not know how much non LTE he is using... Wierd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-06-12-33-46.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1622677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-06-15-15-51.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1622686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill and Usage Reports.png
Views:	902
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1622728  

Dirtydarko
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
I am Jon's buddy and it's true I am apparently not throttled on non LTE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

AT&It's official policy:

"Info for Smartphone Customers With Unlimited Data Plans
Do you have an unlimited data plan? If so, we have information to help you manage your account if you use more than 3GB, which means you are in the top 5% of data users in our network. If you have a 4G LTE Smartphone with monthly data usage over 5GB, you’ll also be interested in this information. You can check your usage for this month by dialing *data# on your mobile phone.

If you have one of our tiered data plans, this information will not affect you.

Background
Soaring mobile broadband usage and the limited availability of wireless spectrum has made it necessary for AT&T to implement a network management program to ensure the best possible service for all our customers."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

UrbanLagoon
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I did 10gb last month, how would I know if I'm throttled? I am on at&t with a lte note 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

BlackPhantomX
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLagoon View Post
I did 10gb last month, how would I know if I'm throttled? I am on at&t with a lte note 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
Speed test typically.

Illford
Old
Thanks Meter 0
talking about that AT&T smart wifi thing, how can I use it to track my data usage without it taking over my wifi in stupid ways?

MattMJB0188
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Throttled me about two months ago and I was getting about 500kbps down. Everything seemed fast but that was because my pings were in the 50s and 60s. Netflix looked like crap though.

I'd be on T-Mobile in a second if they didn't have EDGE in so many places.

KEVK
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlewis0102 View Post
Im on Verizon unlimited. I never been throttled. My usage for this month is 300Gigs.
What the heck are you pushing through your phone? Must be tethering or something...and downloading a lot while tethering.

charley000
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Speeds after throttling?

So when they throttle you, what kind of speeds do you get then? In other words, how much do they slow you down?