Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Rogers Galaxy S3 4G/LTE but I'm stuck on Edge?

OP Serephral

8th December 2012, 06:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

9 posts
Hey guys, I'm using the Galaxy S3 and my current carrier is Rogers. I've always been on 4G in the area that I'm in, and with the countless roms I've installed I've never come across any problems. Today I was trying out some new roms, but when I flashed them, I noticed that it swapped from 4G to E(aka Edge). Even if I flash back to my nandroid backup or even a fresh install if the previous rom I was using, I'm still stuck on Edge. Now even though it says I'm connected to Edge, never mind reduced speed, my internet just doesn't even work at all. For some reason even if I'm connected to wi-fi, no matter what I do it says there's no connection. I've read about flashing modems, which I have tried and it seems I'm doing it wrong? I put it on to my sd, boot in to recovery and flash it, but whenever I do I just go in to an endless boot loop. I've spent the past six hours pulling out my hair and trying to get this fixed but no solution yet, so now I've put my hope in to you guys! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sorry if I can't reply back right away, I'm currently doing night shifts at work and even though it's 9:45am here, it's technically my bed time, so I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Some extra information if it may help - The rom I was using that worked properly was Triune 2, I've played around with a few roms since, but the one that originally swapped my 4g to Edge was Mark of the Dragon 3.0.
8th December 2012, 07:44 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 192

495 posts
More
I can think of two possibilities:

1) Some ROMs will reset your phone's internal network settings to only use specific types of networks (e.g. when I first got my phone, the CM10 build I flashed at the time disabled LTE). You can check this by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, going into "Phone information", and scrolling down to "Set preferred network type"; you'll want one of the LTE settings.

2) Reportedly, your phone's IMEI will sometimes be erased during a ROM update (check this in the Settings -> About phone -> Status menu, or in the same "Phone information" menu as above). Check here if that happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to smelenchuk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2012, 11:03 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Hey, I gave number 1 a shot and everything was fine, so I took a look at option 2 and my IMEI isn't gone, but it's showing "0". I searched online and it seems like "0" means it's been deleted, so I'm about to give it a go and see if I can get it up and running. Anyways, thanks for the reply! I'll post and update on how everything works out.

*UPDATE* Alright, problem fixed! I'm back at 4G, everything is running smooth and fast! Took a little bit but everything is working fine, and now I know how to fix this problem if it should arise again, thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!
Last edited by Serephral; 9th December 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Update
10th December 2012, 04:02 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Hey, I'm back again. Well, I thought the problem was fixed, I was back on 4G all day until a little after I started work at around 10:30pm when my network swapped back to Edge and it's been there since(now 6:57am). My IMEI is still intact as well. I've tried flashing back to stock with odin and injecting the file to see what happens but no luck. Unfortunately I haven't reached the 10 post marker which means I can't ask for help on that part of the forum yet, so here I am in your hands once again, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!
10th December 2012, 10:16 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 192

495 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephral

Hey, I'm back again. Well, I thought the problem was fixed, I was back on 4G all day until a little after I started work at around 10:30pm when my network swapped back to Edge and it's been there since(now 6:57am). My IMEI is still intact as well. I've tried flashing back to stock with odin and injecting the file to see what happens but no luck. Unfortunately I haven't reached the 10 post marker which means I can't ask for help on that part of the forum yet, so here I am in your hands once again, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

Out of curiosity, have you checked the "set preferred network type" setting again?

I've also heard recently that there may be some problems with Rogers APNs in non-standard ROMs, so it might be worth checking your APN settings.

Or, it could be an LTE network outage, unlikely as that seems...
The Following User Says Thank You to smelenchuk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th December 2012, 04:21 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Yes I have and everything is fine. However, I was looking around at a few things some other people have done, not with the exact problem I have, but similar, I tried something out and it worked. Dial *#197328640#>UMTS>DEBUG SCREEN>PHONE CONTROL>NETWORK CONTROL>BAND SELECTION>LTE BAND PREFERENCE>LTE ALL, let it sit there for about 30 seconds and then reset the phone. Do it again, go in to BAND SELECTION and then choose AUTOMATIC, wait 30 seconds and reboot your phone again. I'm back to 4g and actually, it seems faster than when I originally had 4G, but I think I'm just used to how slow Edge is now :P. Although the other fix got me back to 4G as well, but then it swapped back to Edge so I'll wait for at least 24 hours before I can confirm it completely fixed. Once again thanks for the response! Most helpful forums I've been on!
Last edited by Serephral; 11th December 2012 at 10:13 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serephral For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th December 2012, 11:44 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
It hasn't been 24 hours but I thought I'd report back while I'm on my break. I'm still at 4G so things seems to be going well, hopefully it won't go back as it seems like it will stay at 4G. So, unless I'm having troubles again, rather than waiting the 24 hours and posting an update, think of it as a good thing that I don't report anything(or at least I will, since it's my phone :P) Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!
11th December 2012, 11:29 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephral

Yes I have and everything is fine. However, I was looking around at a few things some other people have done, not with the exact problem I have, but similar, I tried something out and it worked. Dial *#197328640#>UMTS>DEBUG SCREEN>PHONE CONTROL>NETWORK CONTROL>BAND SELECTION>LTE BAND PREFERENCE>LTE ALL, let it sit there for about 30 seconds and then reset the phone. Do it again, go in to BAND SELECTION and then choose AUTOMATIC, wait 30 seconds and reboot your phone again. I'm back to 4g and actually, it seems faster than when I originally had 4G, but I think I'm just used to how slow Edge is now :P. Although the other fix got me back to 4G as well, but then it swapped back to Edge so I'll wait for at least 24 hours before I can confirm it completely fixed. Once again thanks for the response! Most helpful forums I've been on!

I just switched to Fido (uses the same towers as Rogers) and this advice is what got my LTE working.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
12th December 2012, 02:56 AM   |  #9  
Flag windsor
Thanks Meter: 21

148 posts
More
Thanks do much for this, I had the exact same problem after flashing MiuiAndroid and Wicked Sensations. Don't know which one effed it up but it was definitely one of those two. Also, I Don't think it is a placebo effect on the speed increase, cause mine is blazing fast after implementing this fix. You should maybe re-title the thread so others in this situation can find this fix, good find and thanks again!
12th December 2012, 04:41 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
Just want to confirm that this particular code can only be entered from a stock dialer? I I tried entering it from cm10's dialer and it doesn't do anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread