No registration required

[Q] Unlock US Cellular Galaxy S3 To Use On GSM

OP Konner27

8th December 2012, 07:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
More
Hi, first off I know that this is the Verizon section but there isn't a spot for U.S Cellular. OK, I have received a Samsung Galaxy S3 Model Number

SCH-R530 because the screen is barely cracked. The person got a new one and now I have this one. I have I Wireless for cell service which is a T-Mobile

affiliate. I Wireless uses GSM and I have a Mini SIM card in my Galaxy Nexus. When I dial the *#06# on the Galaxy S3 a MEID number comes up. When I

take the battery off and look there there is one IMEI and 2 MEID serial numbers. If I am correct I think IMEI is for GSM. This Galaxy S3 also has a SIMcard in

it which I thought CDMA doesn't use. It is a micro SIM and says US Cellular 4G LTE on it. Is there any way I could unlock this Galaxy S3 to use on my GSM

network? Please help. Thanks
9th December 2012, 04:17 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
More
Up
Up
9th December 2012, 06:54 AM   |  #3  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 118

625 posts
Cdma only uses sim card for LTE. Just pointing it out lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
9th December 2012, 06:59 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
More
So this Galaxy S3 won't work on my network?
9th December 2012, 07:42 PM   |  #5  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 277

963 posts
More
It will work for gsm networks but you have to be rooted, edit the apn and i beleive you can only run 2g data. There is a thread about it somewhere around here on a howto for tmobile. And to the other person who said the sim is only for lte is correct, for verizon that is

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
9th December 2012, 08:00 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
More
So do you think it is worth it doing all that or just keep using my Galaxy Nexus?
30th January 2013, 03:43 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 55

393 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by x714x

It will work for gsm networks but you have to be rooted, edit the apn and i beleive you can only run 2g data. There is a thread about it somewhere around here on a howto for tmobile. And to the other person who said the sim is only for lte is correct, for verizon that is

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Could you point to that thread please? Because I have a NOTE II US CELLULAR that I would like to unlock to use on AT&T. I don't mind if I get 2G data. Thanks
30th January 2013, 03:50 AM   |  #8  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 277

963 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo2211

Could you point to that thread please? Because I have a NOTE II US CELLULAR that I would like to unlock to use on AT&T. I don't mind if I get 2G data. Thanks

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...light=t-mobile I would try it on a rooted JB rom from US Cellular, dont use the verzion rom of course
26th February 2013, 04:47 AM   |  #9  

3 posts
Any one has tried and succeeded?
7th May 2013, 06:10 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 5

9 posts
If you root it then upgrade to AOKP 4.1.2 custom ROM or any other custom or stock style ROM thats 4.1.X (Jelly Bean), then there is a REALLY easy trick. I know it's harder for US Cellular only because they are still using 4.04 ICS which doesn't support the menu you need to do this, you need JB for this trick, if you have it stock like on T-mobile then no rooting or upgrading needed, but US Cellular it is. I used it to unlock my tmobile, and my friend and mom both have us cellular. After you Unlock it you can always go back to stock if you want, just make sure and after you root but before you upgrade the ROM you do a nandroid backup to go back to. After you have a Jelly Bean ROM installed,
1. Type *#197328640# and it brings up the factory service menu (very usefull)
2. Select (1) UMTS
3. Select (1)Debug Screen
4. Select (8) Phone Control
5. Select (6)Network lock
6. Inside the Network lock menu, Pick option (3) Perso SHA256 off, Passed that is a screen that says something like "no options in this menu, current command is 11863", Wait for 30-60 secs, from there hit the menu button on bottom left of phone to bring up options, Select "Back".
7. The last command should have brought you back into the Network Lock menu, at the bottom is (4) NW Lock NV Data Initialize, Select it. You might be asked a saftey are you sure, some people not, after it begins that process wait a good 60 sec the reboot. Thats it! Phones Unlocked

It would be good for you to root and upgade a custom JB 4.1.x or higher ROM anyways as they have support and menu options for working on all CDMA/GSM/LTE Networks. Even if you unlock your phone using the IMEI number and paying 20$ for the unlock code, you will still need JB. They also have apps on the play store specifically for galaxy s3's, capable of unlocking for allot cheaper if your phones rooted.
Good Luck!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dallinsg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread