Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,290 Members 45,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Android is upgrading:Starting Apps" Every reboot.

Tip us?

Piz3r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Never integrated sysdalvik w/ titanium backup. I've also rebooted the phone without clearing dalvik, and never had cwm. Probably a few things I should have mentioned earlier, but they never crossed my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Piz3r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Fixed the problem. Turns out you do need to re flash the whole phone. Reset to factory in recovery, then wipe the cache AND the dalvik, then reset to stock using ODIN. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU RESET TO FACTORY. The phone will remain soft bricked otherwise. A tutorial can be found here: http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-un...y-s3-sgh-i747/. The only tried and true way to get the bug out. As far as I know. If anyone has any more ideas as to how this problem occurs, I'd still like to hear them.

Sent from my rooted SAMSUNG SGH-I747. THANKS CHAINFIRE!!

themadproducer
Old
Thanks Meter 1,282
I rarely reboot these days. I do my CWM backups online.
But when I do reboot, I do get that updating message and have been seening that from as far back as I can remember. It bugged me at first but not now. For me, it only does it for about 2-4secs so I don't bother trying to fix it.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I747m - 2gb Ram/LTE, Stock Rom Rogers LH1, ICS rooted CWM 6.12 (as of February 10 2013)

FearBubbles
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the cause in my case but I don't have the solution. I flashed a mod I found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2044449, apn_editor_1.1.zip. Now every reboot I get Android Is Upgrading.... Starting apps.
How do I stop the phone from trying to add this mod?

massivebanana
Old
(Last edited by massivebanana; 16th October 2013 at 07:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Just got the same problem. Had super SU on the phone (soft root), so i tried to fully root (i installed xblasttools, and had to flash pa-icons, so i could change the color of the battery, but i couldn't because it said signature failed). Downloaded philz kernel/root, flashed with recovery. Then i uninstalled the Super su rebooted and there it was; Andriod is upgrading ...

I'm on 4.1.2, Samsung GT-i9100. Help !

P.S Uninstalled the superuser that i got with the phil kernel and installed Super SU. Also i did wipe the davlik and cache. Same stuff.

gc84245
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I got the Android is upgrading message before. It was because I tried to convert a user app to a system app. Converted it back to a user app and it went away. I think it had something to do with having an apk file but no corresponding odex file for that app in /system/app

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to gc84245 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

magix01
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I have found why this happens, issue is with lucky patcher, when you patch application it creates <appname.odex> this odex file is somehow diffrent than real odex, so when you wipe dalvik cache it caches all your apps and then you have Android is starting apps on each boot. The solution is to delete all apps odexes wich you patched, reboot phone, this time it will not display "android is starting apps" and will work until you delete dalvik again. It is possible to apply patch with Lucky Patcher to dalvih cache instead of creating odex, but you loose your crack when you wipe dalvik again.

This is the solution, if someone have better way of doing it post here, also sorry if thread is old.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to magix01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coffee black
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by magix01 View Post
I have found why this happens, issue is with lucky patcher, when you patch application it creates <appname.odex> this odex file is somehow diffrent than real odex, so when you wipe dalvik cache it caches all your apps and then you have Android is starting apps on each boot. The solution is to delete all apps odexes wich you patched, reboot phone, this time it will not display "android is starting apps" and will work until you delete dalvik again. It is possible to apply patch with Lucky Patcher to dalvih cache instead of creating odex, but you loose your crack when you wipe dalvik again.

This is the solution, if someone have better way of doing it post here, also sorry if thread is old.
Thank you for pointing out Lucky Patcher. The "android is starting apps" notification started when I deodexed my rom. I uninstalled those patched apps, reinstalled and re-patched normally with Lucky Patcher 3.9.9.1 and that notification is gone.

magix01
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee black View Post
Thank you for pointing out Lucky Patcher. The "android is starting apps" notification started when I deodexed my rom. I uninstalled those patched apps, reinstalled and re-patched normally with Lucky Patcher 3.9.9.1 and that notification is gone.

Next time just cut odex files to other location, reboot phone and copy odexes back, this should be alot easyer
The Following User Says Thank You to magix01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iamth3man
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Try to reflash your rom that may help some how

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app