9th December 2012, 03:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Winchester
Thanks Meter: 240

296 posts
Donate to Me
More
At Your Own Risk!!! I Am Not Responsible For Anything You Do To Your Device
So if you are like me you're tired of looking at the gaudy version of a nav bar and soft keys that amazon has come up with. So I started looking around for a way to modify the soft keys to look more like stock android. I may at some point dive into the framework and rewrite portions to do this, but in my search I came across an old method for removing the nav bar altogether. It is a very simple build.prop edit and at the same time adds some screen real-estate. I've confirmed this does work on this device, check out the screenshots below.

How to(rooted device):
1- You will first need a soft key/nav buttons app(once this is done the stock keys will be gone, and kinda hard to navigate without some). I like using Button Savior, it allows you to place the soft keys anywhere around the perimeter of the screen, and has multiple themes you can use. Also if you have the paid version you can change the number and position of buttons
2- Using a file manager navigate to /system/build.prop file
3- Open build.prop with a text editor, scroll to the end and on a new line enter:
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
4- Save and reboot.

Now there are ways to do this with launchers but it will not be permanently removed and will still show up in apps.
To get stock keys back just delete the line you entered in the build.prop and reboot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012.12.09-10.17.22.jpg
Views:	2816
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1550550   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012.12.09-10.41.42.jpg
Views:	2381
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1550551   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012.12.09-10.42.29.jpg
Views:	2114
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1550552  
Last edited by onemeila; 9th December 2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: picture rotation
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to onemeila For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th December 2012, 06:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag Vero Beach Fl.
Thanks Meter: 36

145 posts
More
Remove soft keys
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemeila

So if you are like me you're tired of looking at the gaudy version of a nav bar and soft keys that amazon has come up with. So I started looking around for a way to modify the soft keys to look more like stock android. I may at some point dive into the framework and rewrite portions to do this, but in my search I came across an old method for removing the nav bar altogether. It is a very simple build.prop edit and at the same time adds some screen real-estate. I've confirmed this does work on this device, check out the screenshots below.

How to(rooted device):
1- You will first need a soft key/nav buttons app(once this is done the stock keys will be gone, and kinda hard to navigate without some). I like using Button Savior, it allows you to place the soft keys anywhere around the perimeter of the screen, and has multiple themes you can use. Also if you have the paid version you can change the number and position of buttons
3- Open build.prop with a text editor, scroll to the end and on a new line enter:

Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
4- Save and reboot.

Now there are ways to do this with launchers but it will not be permanently removed and will still show up in apps.
To get stock keys back just delete the line you entered in the build.prop and reboot

Hello
Just wanted to say thanks for the above info. It all works great and the extra room on the screen is appreciated. By the way, I am using CM 10 rom on my RAZR M, and it works great there as well. Doesn't work perfectly on the stock RAZR M, although both soft keys and header info (3G/4G-signal strength, etc).are removed as well, but there is a System.UI closing warning. However, it does work on the stock if the added directions are removed from build.prop in text editor, but NO reboot. Otherwise the stock keys return.
11th December 2012, 08:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 5

31 posts
Works on 7" KFHD, too. Just set up, very cool. Big thanks

Sent from my rooted Kindle Fire HD
The Following User Says Thank You to ayaxxa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th December 2012, 05:20 AM   |  #4  
Flag Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 84

381 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemeila

How to(rooted device):

Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
4- Save and reboot.

Works fine on my recently re-rooted 7.2.2 - went ahead & sprung for the pro so I could remap the phone key to something useful ("calling home", going to the original home so I can read books. I sometimes forget that's what I originally bought it for).

Thanks.
12th December 2012, 05:49 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 5

31 posts
Sadly, i must say that i detected an issue. Some apps that are coming with an own menu-button lost this button, e.g. Aldiko (app to read books) or google chrome. In chrome, the menu can be accessed with the menu-button that comes with button saviour, but the menu of Aldiko can't be accessed at all.

Sent from my rooted Kindle Fire HD
12th December 2012, 06:29 AM   |  #6  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 47

129 posts
Donate to Me
More
This will work for me until cm 10 comes out. Confirmed working on Kindle Fire HD 7". This also fixes the issue of the keyboard in landscape mode.
13th December 2012, 01:00 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 12

40 posts
Wow, this is the greatest thing I have done to my kindle yet, make sure to install button savior first or else you are gonna be having a hard time fixing it. Couldnt access my root to change the build prop back to install button savior, luckily i was able to download the apk file on my computer and transfer it over and install it. Set it to appear when i swipe from the right corner...and goes away after 5 seconds..different themes... and alot of options when it comes to using custom triggers. Found a pro version on google, works flawless.
15th December 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #8  
Flag shropshire uk
Thanks Meter: 825

812 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the tip, but can I suggest the better looking ltm launcher.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355606667448.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1566130

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
20th December 2012, 11:52 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

32 posts
Nice tip, I used button saviour previously on my HTC Desire and found it to be a great piece of kit, but I've noticed that while using it on my Kindle, particularly in portrait mode, when the button saviour bar is closed there is a flicker lower down the screen which is very annoying. Its as though it repositions itself at the bottom of the screen before closing. I'm using the pro version as well, so it's not got anything to do with that.

For now I've gone back to the default nav bar - it is annoying that there is no autohide for that really as otherwise it does the job. There must be a way to autohide it as some apps do that.
20th December 2012, 05:28 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
I also had the no menu button problem. I had to go back to stock nav bar till that is figured out..oh well

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk HD

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread