Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Remove Nav Bar Permanently

Tip us?

scaleman75
Old
(Last edited by scaleman75; 17th January 2013 at 08:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default getting your submenu back in Google play or whatever app

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkilo View Post
I had noticed this, but not the part about the menu working with the bar there. perhaps we could mod the framework-res.apk to set the height to 0 or something then we would not need to do the qemu.hw.mainkeys=1..
If you change
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

I use button savior you will get your submenus back, ok lost the three dots in Google play for applications and this fixed my issue. Instead of

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 , I used qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 after I originally set at 1, hope it helps.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleman75 View Post
If you change
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

I use button savior you will get your submenus back, ok lost the three dots in Google play for applications and this fixed my issue. Instead of

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 , I used qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 after I originally set at 1, hope it helps.
I forgot to mention I froze the soft key bar service and disabled the startup too, as well as keeping qemu.hw.mainkeys at 0. Note the bar will be there if
You go to Kiindle store but only the favorite icon will show up.
The Following User Says Thank You to scaleman75 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shacho
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemeila View Post
At Your Own Risk!!! I Am Not Responsible For Anything You Do To Your Device
So if you are like me you're tired of looking at the gaudy version of a nav bar and soft keys that amazon has come up with. So I started looking around for a way to modify the soft keys to look more like stock android. I may at some point dive into the framework and rewrite portions to do this, but in my search I came across an old method for removing the nav bar altogether. It is a very simple build.prop edit and at the same time adds some screen real-estate. I've confirmed this does work on this device, check out the screenshots below.

How to(rooted device):
1- You will first need a soft key/nav buttons app(once this is done the stock keys will be gone, and kinda hard to navigate without some). I like using Button Savior, it allows you to place the soft keys anywhere around the perimeter of the screen, and has multiple themes you can use. Also if you have the paid version you can change the number and position of buttons
2- Using a file manager navigate to /system/build.prop file
3- Open build.prop with a text editor, scroll to the end and on a new line enter:
Code:
Select Code
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
4- Save and reboot.

Now there are ways to do this with launchers but it will not be permanently removed and will still show up in apps.
To get stock keys back just delete the line you entered in the build.prop and reboot
Where did you get your predator wallpaper from? I definitely would like to add it to my collection.

haraop
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can you please tell me the theme and options you're using right now?

SKORPiO1975
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Re: Remove Nav Bar Permanently

I seem to have missing menu button in Play Store. When I press Menu on button savior, nothing happens. Am I the only one?

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
N5 on Cata+franco
N7 on stk+Franco (cata badly needed)

scaleman75
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Missing Navigation Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKORPiO1975 View Post
I seem to have missing menu button in Play Store. When I press Menu on button savior, nothing happens. Am I the only one?

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

It will be missing until you freeze and disable softkeys as long as soft keys is running it will be disabled.
Please make sure you have an alternative button active like button savior before disabling it or freezing it.

SKORPiO1975
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Re: Remove Nav Bar Permanently

Quote:
It will be missing until you freeze and disable softkeys as long as soft keys is running it will be disabled.
Please make sure you have an alternative button active like button savior before disabling it or freezing it.
Thank you for your answer but I have a lame question, how do I disable softkeyes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
N5 on Cata+franco
N7 on stk+Franco (cata badly needed)

scaleman75
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Missing Navigation Bar

Quote:
If you change
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

I forgot to mention I froze the soft key bar service and disabled the startup too, as well as keeping qemu.hw.mainkeys at 0. Note the bar will be there if
You go to Kiindle store but only the favorite icon will show up.
I use System Tuner that I downloaded, not sure what everyone else uses? Be careful very powerful tool go to startup within program and make sure you are rooted and find the process softkeys and click to go to more details and at bottom option to freeze, I recommend this because if John don't like it you can go back and click boil and get it back to where you we're. Again caution I am not the best expert like everyone here everyone here so not responsible if it doesn't work or damage to your unit, I know this option works for me. Hope it works for everyone else.

hellbrandt
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Landscape problem

The problem I found with landscape mode (which I prefer) was that after setting qemu.hw.mainkeys = 0 and freezing softkeys (using Titanium Backup) the drop down notification and the keyboard both thought the screen was the same width as when the nav bar was there, so they are both too narrow.

The solutions are close, but not quite there yet.

persano
Old
Thanks Meter 250
is there an app like button savior but with ics softkeys ?

onemeila
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 237

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by persano View Post
is there an app like button savior but with ics softkeys ?
Button savior, I believe, has an ics theme. Maybe just on paid version though