Unbrick phone part: Rapidly Flashing Red Light.

Search This thread

xj220gt

Dec 28, 2009
Hello all.

This guide will help you if you have:

A phone that will not turn on unless you plug it in and even then only an LG sign shows up followed by either blank/ rapidly flashing red light.

to my knowledge, what happened to put the phone in this state is the battery died while you were flashing a rom or something as such and the phone got confused on if it should be in charge mode or not.

being that the phone has a sealed battery, it is not as easy to pull out the battery as it is on other phones.

Fortunately for us, it is not difficult at all to unplug the battery!

REQ: torx screw driver that will fit but NOT STRIP the screws at the bottom of the phone.
Small phillips screw driver.

**I suggest charging the phone for a good 10 minutes before starting this. just to make sure it has a charge.

Step 1: unscrew the two screws at the bottom of the phone CAREFULLY!

Step 2: with your nails carefully pry up the back cover (inspect the phone carefully and identify the back cover from the rest of the phone.) off starting from the bottom of the phone.

Step 3: peel back the blue tape on the connector and remove the two screws.

Step 4: carefully pry up the connector from the top.

Step 5: plug back in and try powering on. By this point you should know if it worked and you can start putting the phone back together.

This guide is not the best (My first) but if you have any questions send me a message.

Good luck with your phones!

Attachments

• IMG_20121209_205049.jpg
    IMG_20121209_205049.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 11,838
  • IMG_20121209_200015.jpg
    IMG_20121209_200015.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 12,682
  • IMG_20121209_200007.jpg
    IMG_20121209_200007.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 11,911
Last edited:

Fission_Chipz

May 15, 2010
Dekalb, IL
Awesome job, man. should come in handy for me at some point I am sure. I am curious though, those internals look identical to the Nexus 4's (as I guess we should expect) and I know the battery is glued down with the Nexus 4, so is that the case with our LGOG as well?

xj220gt

Dec 28, 2009
Yeah. The battery is glued in. I dont see an issue replacing it though. maybe a heat gun to losen up the glue and you should be good.

And yeah, it is very easy to open up.

cclark1894

Nov 20, 2010
This would have helped me last week. Oh well, got a replacement device and a free LG headset for my trouble.
Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

drwario

Oct 19, 2010
Awesome job, man. should come in handy for me at some point I am sure. I am curious though, those internals look identical to the Nexus 4's (as I guess we should expect) and I know the battery is glued down with the Nexus 4, so is that the case with our LGOG as well?

Yeah the name in system info is even mako just like n4

the best phone ever

C2fifield

Mar 14, 2012
I had this fast flashing "brick"-like issue, but after I let my phone cool, I just held power and vol-up and my phone went straight to the boot loader.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 5006141

Damn, I didn't think it'd be that easy to take it apart. I wonder if it'd be possible to stick a Qi wireless charger pad in there, like the Nexus 4.

Pony Express

Dec 7, 2010
737 miles from where I was
First of all, thanks for the guide. :good:
Here is what caused this to happen on my phone:
(black screen, flashing red light)
With phone off and charger plugged in you should be able to press power for a couple of seconds and it will show the charging progress. When you unplug the charger and press power you should see nothing unless you hold it long enough to power up the phone. Problem was that no matter how long you waited after unplugging the charger you could press power and see the progress ::what::
That causes the battery to drain, completely if left alone for a couple of days resulting in, you guessed it, black screen and flashing red light. After leaving it plugged in for 4-5 hours it regained a full charge and was fine.
This did not occur when phone was on while charging. Needless to say, I exchanged the phone. Hope this helps. :)

t0dbld

Mar 21, 2010
Michigan
Don't assume you have any other pictures

I was considering trying to steal the signal amplifier and the filter from this and put in n4 ... and chance you got any shots of those in the optimus g ?

tiltman71

Jul 10, 2008
I still cant get mine to turn on, I unhooked the battery, still nothing. I hold the power it goes to the lg screen then nothing. I can hold power and volume up and nothing happens. Does anybody have a idea, I want my phone back.
Thanks

amazingbonz

Jan 26, 2013
HELP!

My phone somehow will not turn on or charge! I have tried multiple chargers and outlets, and my phone will not charge or get the red light signaling that it is... There is no damage to the phone other than a small crack done a couple months prior. This happened very suddenly, the phone just ran out of batteries then stopped charging... is it possible to find the same battery as this and replace it?? My phone company said LG would not accept it because of the small crack on the front screen corner. Any help would be very greatly appreciated, really dont have the money to buy a phone off contract...

ngocmekong

Jan 19, 2013
My phone somehow will not turn on or charge! I have tried multiple chargers and outlets, and my phone will not charge or get the red light signaling that it is... There is no damage to the phone other than a small crack done a couple months prior. This happened very suddenly, the phone just ran out of batteries then stopped charging... is it possible to find the same battery as this and replace it?? My phone company said LG would not accept it because of the small crack on the front screen corner. Any help would be very greatly appreciated, really dont have the money to buy a phone off contract...
My phone is same yours. you plug and unplug somes times untill red light flash then push power button. goodluck

Akop87

Jan 17, 2011
Wow looks like there are connectors on the back to go to the inside of the back cover... I wonder if this is compatiable with the orbe!... if not it should be easy to use old Palm Touchstone parts to make it charge wirelessly.

I have the sprint version I am hoping it has the same connectors... You guys see the two prongs on the back cover adn the metal places they attach to??

SnowLeopardJB

May 8, 2011
Wow looks like there are connectors on the back to go to the inside of the back cover... I wonder if this is compatiable with the orbe!... if not it should be easy to use old Palm Touchstone parts to make it charge wirelessly.

I have the sprint version I am hoping it has the same connectors... You guys see the two prongs on the back cover adn the metal places they attach to??

Those prongs are for connecting to the antenna in the back cover, not a wireless charger.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Reactions: DeathmonkeyGTX

thistimearound

Sep 11, 2010
I could use some help guys, if this thread isn't too old. I've searched high and low to the answer here and nothing is working. I've tried download mode, fastboot, recovery, reset, holding power down, plugging it in and unplugging it. I've pulled the plate off of the battery, tried LGNPST, drivers, etc. No go on anything.

The phone is still dead, and will not turn on. The best I've gotten is a solid red light after holding the power button for 15-20 seconds. Then after about 3-5 seconds it resumes flashing (alternating between the red light and the key buttons). If I continue holding the power button down it will repeat this, showing solid red and then reverting to flashing.

I can not get the screen to display anything, not even the charging animation, and none of my computers will even recognize the device. I've been messing with it all day and I'm stuck. If anyone can help me, at all, please do. I hate going to Sprint. Anything but that, please.

duckfart

Mar 9, 2007
Seattle
I could use some help guys, if this thread isn't too old. I've searched high and low to the answer here and nothing is working. I've tried download mode, fastboot, recovery, reset, holding power down, plugging it in and unplugging it. I've pulled the plate off of the battery, tried LGNPST, drivers, etc. No go on anything.

The phone is still dead, and will not turn on. The best I've gotten is a solid red light after holding the power button for 15-20 seconds. Then after about 3-5 seconds it resumes flashing (alternating between the red light and the key buttons). If I continue holding the power button down it will repeat this, showing solid red and then reverting to flashing.

I can not get the screen to display anything, not even the charging animation, and none of my computers will even recognize the device. I've been messing with it all day and I'm stuck. If anyone can help me, at all, please do. I hate going to Sprint. Anything but that, please.

me too.

I was doing the LGNPST and it was stuck at 67% for 15 min so i unplugged and the phone did nothing so I turned it off from recovery and nothing. no power only the power flashes red for a few seconds after pressing.

I am out of town now but if I can get it to turn back on I will send it back since I just received it today.

TangoXray

Dec 27, 2012
McAllen, TX
Unfortunately, my phone is now completely unresponsive. I have had it plugged in to the original wall charger for over two hours and still no power. If i hold down the power button for about 15 seconds while plugged in the red light will blink once every second until i let go. However, if I unplug it and do the same the light will not come on. I'm about to disassemble my brick and see if the battery pull will help any.

Any success stories in detail would be appreciated. Plan B is to send it off to Mobiletechvideos.

Edit: Moving on to plan B....thanks.

Sent from my LGL35G using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ewcrider

Jun 18, 2010
Unfortunately, my phone is now completely unresponsive. I have had it plugged in to the original wall charger for over two hours and still no power. If i hold down the power button for about 15 seconds while plugged in the red light will blink once every second until i let go. However, if I unplug it and do the same the light will not come on. I'm about to disassemble my brick and see if the battery pull will help any.

Any success stories in detail would be appreciated. Plan B is to send it off to Mobiletechvideos.

I did this trick a couple weeks ago when my phone stopped responding. Could only get flashing light while plugged in, and no response when not plugged in. Eventually while plugged in I could get to the bootloader, but could not get to recovery. This fix worked for me, though it may not work for you. You will need a T5 torx (star) screwdriver. Good luck.

Reactions: TangoXray

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all.

This guide will help you if you have:

A phone that will not turn on unless you plug it in and even then only an LG sign shows up followed by either blank/ rapidly flashing red light.

to my knowledge, what happened to put the phone in this state is the battery died while you were flashing a rom or something as such and the phone got confused on if it should be in charge mode or not.

being that the phone has a sealed battery, it is not as easy to pull out the battery as it is on other phones.

Fortunately for us, it is not difficult at all to unplug the battery!

REQ: torx screw driver that will fit but NOT STRIP the screws at the bottom of the phone.
    Small phillips screw driver.

**I suggest charging the phone for a good 10 minutes before starting this. just to make sure it has a charge.

Step 1: unscrew the two screws at the bottom of the phone CAREFULLY!

Step 2: with your nails carefully pry up the back cover (inspect the phone carefully and identify the back cover from the rest of the phone.) off starting from the bottom of the phone.

Step 3: peel back the blue tape on the connector and remove the two screws.

Step 4: carefully pry up the connector from the top.

Step 5: plug back in and try powering on. By this point you should know if it worked and you can start putting the phone back together.

This guide is not the best (My first) but if you have any questions send me a message.

Good luck with your phones!

Those prongs are for connecting to the antenna in the back cover, not a wireless charger.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I did this trick a couple weeks ago when my phone stopped responding. Could only get flashing light while plugged in, and no response when not plugged in. Eventually while plugged in I could get to the bootloader, but could not get to recovery. This fix worked for me, though it may not work for you. You will need a T5 torx (star) screwdriver. Good luck.
    Issue was not with Phone :)

I had the same issue.
    phone was just not ready to boot.
    after connecting to charger, it just flashed RED LED notifications..

nothing was happening to it.

i did everything i could but nothing worked.

finally, i just changed the charger (Adapter) and it worked for me.

i believe, there is some issue with LG Travel Adapters (Chargers)..

THanks everyone, i m using my phone normally becoause of you guys...