Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 48,873 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fuhu Nabi2 Back to Stock from scratch in Ubuntu Linux

Tip us?

Ste_J
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Bootloader based on the 2.2 OTA update

Managed to use a combination of the 2.2 back up file which was kindly provided above. Then took the 2.2 OTA from my Nabi (backed out of the update at the reboot stage and then grabbed the OTA from the Nabi) And modified the bootloader file

Used TWRP to restore the 2.2 back up file and just before I rebooted the system I installed the bootloader file. Rebooted and after a while the Nabi fired up into 2.2!!!!!
Next I used Nabilab to load the stock recovery and I am now in the process of doing a full reset

Been at this for hours but I really do need to thank everybody who has helped to get me this far. I really do appreciate it and was on the verge of replacing the nabi with a nexus 7
Attached Files
File Type: zip Bootloader.zip - [Click for QR Code] (743.5 KB, 153 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ste_J For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ste_J
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_J View Post

Managed to use a combination of the 2.2 back up file which was kindly provided above. Then took the 2.2 OTA from my Nabi (backed out of the update at the reboot stage and then grabbed the OTA from the Nabi) And modified the bootloader file

Used TWRP to restore the 2.2 back up file and just before I rebooted the system I installed the bootloader file. Rebooted and after a while the Nabi fired up into 2.2!!!!!
Next I used Nabilab to load the stock recovery and I am now in the process of doing a full reset

Been at this for hours but I really do need to thank everybody who has helped to get me this far. I really do appreciate it and was on the verge of replacing the nabi with a nexus 7
2.2 OTA file https://www.dropbox.com/s/67c3qunnj09cuyd/ota.zip

---------- Post added 16th February 2014 at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was 15th February 2014 at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
Reboot, and rejoice!! OR possibly reboot, then curse aicjofs. Both are possibilities
Big time rejoice mate. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Ste_J For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aicjofs
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 691
Quote:
2.2 OTA file https://www.dropbox.com/s/67c3qunnj09cuyd/ota.zip

---------- Post added 16th February 2014 at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was 15th February 2014 at 11:34 PM ----------

Big time rejoice mate. Thank you
No thanks necessary, I have been somewhat neglectful of UK owners. Sorry about that. Very nice job snagging the blob and making an installer. So that bootloader.zip will be a JB bootloader installer for UK owners correct?
Read my less technical and uncensored ramblings on Nabi Tablet modding
Nab Tab Hacks
The Following User Says Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ste_J
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
No thanks necessary, I have been somewhat neglectful of UK owners. Sorry about that. Very nice job snagging the blob and making an installer. So that bootloader.zip will be a JB bootloader installer for UK owners correct?
Yes it's the blob from the UK 2.2 OTA added to the zip file you gave. Worked a treat on mine

The only snag I have now is that the factory reset failed but it's not a big issue. Factory reset in nabi results in android eating an atom and then dying. Factory reset in TWRP resulted in nothing at all.

Checked for updates and system now saying everything up to date

aicjofs
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 691
Quote:
Yes it's the blob from the UK 2.2 OTA added to the zip file you gave. Worked a treat on mine

The only snag I have now is that the factory reset failed but it's not a big issue. Factory reset in nabi results in android eating an atom and then dying. Factory reset in TWRP resulted in nothing at all.

Checked for updates and system now saying everything up to date
The stock recovery you are using won't work. You must have the jellybean kernel version of the stock recovery. If you used the Nabilab or what not it's the ICS kernel. I can't believe TWRP didn't work. Did you do factory reset from Android? That reboots the tablet to whatever recovery you have installed and will wipe it. Difference is the stock recovery wipes /data/media(internal SD), where a "factory reset" inside TWRP does not. To wipe internal SD also you need to go to advanced wipe and select data. Of course that is dangerous because alot of people have their stock backups on /data/media, and no one including myself has EVER made that mistake and wiped their backup. Hahaha
Nab Tab Hacks

Ste_J
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
The stock recovery you are using won't work. You must have the jellybean kernel version of the stock recovery. If you used the Nabilab or what not it's the ICS kernel. I can't believe TWRP didn't work. Did you do factory reset from Android? That reboots the tablet to whatever recovery you have installed and will wipe it. Difference is the stock recovery wipes /data/media(internal SD), where a "factory reset" inside TWRP does not. To wipe internal SD also you need to go to advanced wipe and select data. Of course that is dangerous because alot of people have their stock backups on /data/media, and no one including myself has EVER made that mistake and wiped their backup. Hahaha
Thinking about it. I updated TWRP on the fly and kept it on throughout. It's still present now and therefore I could not have gone back to stock recovery.

Nabi running a treat at the moment and already getting filled with games

crispy514
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Hi, i'm in a similar position and sure how to do the above

I returned my Nabi to stock 2.0 (UK) using Nabilabs, restored the stock recovery and performed the OTA update to 2.1 (UK). However it fails the part 2 update with the dead android

I have the 2.2 recovery image from above. How do I install from TWRP? (never had to do that before) and how do I install the bootloader?

Sorry to ask but I've been reading all this for days and can't find an easy guide.

Thanks

aicjofs
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy514 View Post
Hi, i'm in a similar position and sure how to do the above

I returned my Nabi to stock 2.0 (UK) using Nabilabs, restored the stock recovery and performed the OTA update to 2.1 (UK). However it fails the part 2 update with the dead android

I have the 2.2 recovery image from above. How do I install from TWRP? (never had to do that before) and how do I install the bootloader?

Sorry to ask but I've been reading all this for days and can't find an easy guide.

Thanks
I'd go about it like this if you already have the original Nabilab(not Nabilab GUI) installed.

Install TWRP

- Download this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=97
- Copy that zip to the Nabi
- Use Nabilab to just put on the old recovery. Nothing else, just install that older TWRP version.
- Now update TWRP to 2.6.3 by going into TWRP and "Install" the zip you downloaded and put on the Nabi.
(setup for next step) - Do a back up of just the boot partition in TWRP. Just check "boot" and nothing else. Note where you are backing it up to(internal or external storage) If you are space limited I recommend external, and if something goes wrong and you can't boot its easier to work with, otherwise you will have to be adb pushing files.

Install 2.2 ROM and bootloader.

- Download this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=85
- In Android(or if you can put you external SD in your computer) Navigate to the folder TWRP/BACKUPS/XXXX. XXX is a serial number unique to your Nabi.
- Make a new folder and call in whatever you want. So it should now look like TWRP/BACKUPS/XXX/yourfolder
- Unzip the file you downloaded in to the "yourfolder" you created above. The files should look like ext4.system.win, emmc.boot.win, ext.addon.win, etc. This should set you up for the 2.2 ROM.

- Download this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=91
- Copy it to the Nabi. This will be for the bootloader update.

- Reboot to TWRP
- Go to restore tab, and find the backup under the "yourfolder" you made and unzipped the files to.
- You should be able to select boot, system, and addon and skip the others.
- If everything restores then go to TWRP install tab, find the bootloader.zip you downloaded and install it.
- Reboot
Nab Tab Hacks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crispy514
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I'd go about it like this if you already have the original Nabilab(not Nabilab GUI) installed.

Install TWRP

- Download this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=97
- Copy that zip to the Nabi
- Use Nabilab to just put on the old recovery. Nothing else, just install that older TWRP version.
- Now update TWRP to 2.6.3 by going into TWRP and "Install" the zip you downloaded and put on the Nabi.
(setup for next step) - Do a back up of just the boot partition in TWRP. Just check "boot" and nothing else. Note where you are backing it up to(internal or external storage) If you are space limited I recommend external, and if something goes wrong and you can't boot its easier to work with, otherwise you will have to be adb pushing files.

Install 2.2 ROM and bootloader.

- Download this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=85
- In Android(or if you can put you external SD in your computer) Navigate to the folder TWRP/BACKUPS/XXXX. XXX is a serial number unique to your Nabi.
- Make a new folder and call in whatever you want. So it should now look like TWRP/BACKUPS/XXX/yourfolder
- Unzip the file you downloaded in to the "yourfolder" you created above. The files should look like ext4.system.win, emmc.boot.win, ext.addon.win, etc. This should set you up for the 2.2 ROM.

- Download this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=91
- Copy it to the Nabi. This will be for the bootloader update.

- Reboot to TWRP
- Go to restore tab, and find the backup under the "yourfolder" you made and unzipped the files to.
- You should be able to select boot, system, and addon and skip the others.
- If everything restores then go to TWRP install tab, find the bootloader.zip you downloaded and install it.
- Reboot
Thank you so much! I had got so far but couldn't get the TWRP I had installed to restore the Addons.. Followed the above and have 2.2UK version with full google store and JB loveliness!

Ste_J
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I am so glad I didn't give you instructions. The above is a much more graceful way than mine which consist of much more swearing, rebooting, late nights and head scratching. You get the same result though!

Tags
fuhu nabi2, nabi 2, original, restore