Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,967 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 2 compatible earphones with fully functional volume controls!

Tip us?

Dumbo53
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default Note 2 compatible earphones with fully functional volume controls!

For someone coming from an iPhone to the Note 2, one of the most distressing things is the lack of earphones with functioning volume buttons. I say this because everyone with an iPhone is used to having a big selection of working headsets that have these controls. Because of the wide variety of android phones and their conficting standards, manufacturers have evidently decided it not worthwhile trying to make android compatible earphones with volume controls since they have assumed they'd have to be device specific, and instead opted for a few single button ones. I found this amazing, incomprehensible and unacceptable. You see, I live with my earphones. Besides listening to music or streaming podcasts, I take all my calls with earphones so that I can keep my hands free, and reaching constantly into my pocket to change the volume won't do.

After a laborious search, I've found earphones that work with my Note 2 (ie 3 button ones with volume controls as well as the pause/play button), but they all have issues or problems from my point of view. Nevertheless, the simple answer starts with looking for ones made by HTC or Samsung. Unfortunately, the ones I found from HTC have really cheap speakers and place the mic/controls near your belly button! They also place the mic at the point where the speaker wires branch rather than the typical spot 6" from the right earpiece on its own wire, so winding up the extra wire is an awkward solution at best (I tried it, ughh!) The Samsung OEM ones that should have come with the phone (I'm on ATT and as everyone knows, they didn't include them in their packaging), are fine with respect to the placement of the mic, but the sound may be iffy for some and I find the volume controls too small and poorly placed - I'm often hitting the wrong button. For me though, there was also another worse problem. I know I'm in a minority here, but I can't stand in-ear sound isolating earbuds. (Note: by in-ear, I mean the type that have flexible plastic tips that snug down into the ear canal a bit.) I find them uncomfortable after a very short time, and when I take calls, I feel like I'm speaking under water, or like I have my fingers in my ears. I actually prefer hearing the environmental sound a bit rather than cutting it off. Stupid me, I just prefer the plain old iPhone earphones (not the new earpods). They're cheap, have ok sound with moderate bass, and do what I want. All you others who don't agree with me, don't despair since what I propose applies equally to you.

My final solution to this nasty impass was to clip off the HTC or Samsung earphones and solder on my old iPhone earpieces. I'm writing all this because I know there are a lot of people more or less in my situation, and I just want to encourage people that it really is not hard at all to do this if you're able to solder at all. And afaik, the same applies to people who prefer in-ear buds, or even hi quality ones. Most earpieces are pretty easy to disassemble - one might have to score/lever the joint a bit, but basically you just give a twist with a pliers to the piece nearest your ear that has the grill or holds the in-ear piece, and the speaker and its wired connections can be pulled out of the housing and have its connections exposed. I was confused at first by the iPhone earphones since when I clipped the wire and examined it, there seemed to be four wires going to each earpiece. I spoke to an audio engineer for advice (who designed circuits, cables etc for the audio industry for 40 years) and his basic take on it was the quality is all in the speakers not in the switch, so you really can just swap them, and the extra wires are just twisted around to support the functioning wires structurally - each speaker really has two wires.

Luckily for me, it cost me nothing extra to try this as I had already bought three different working sets off eBay at $5 - $8 each and I had my old iPhone ones (actually two broken sets - I just used the good speaker from each). Anyway, if anyone's interested below are pics of the three Note 2 compatible types I bought (use them to find ones to buy since links change). Remember, in the end I only needed them for the plug, working switch/mic, and wires - the speakers are thrown away. And also pics of a disassembled iphone earpiece as well as a finished hybrid. The one I did uses the white HTC earphones as a base. I of course shortened the wires going to the earpieces. I don't mind the Samsung one once in a while, so I plan to order another and when it arrives, alter it as a spare hybrid like the other - with iPhone earpieces.

There are several other ones out there that would probably do as well as the ones I bought, but they all have in-ear type earpieces so I didn't order them, and I can't vouch for their volume controls working. I'd guess several will. Sometimes android earphones apparently use the outer buttons to advance or rewind (next track/previous track) so watch out for those. I don't see the point of them since double click/triple click does that for me with all the audio players I've tried (Walkman, PowerAmp, Player Pro) and the volume controls are more important to me anyway. It's also difficult to tell from the eBay pictures if the mic/controls are near the belly button or not, and after buying two that had this design, I didn't feel like trying more at random. If anyone has ordered other ones and found the buttons work (FOR VOLUME CONTROLS!) and especially if they have the better, single wire mic layout, I'd be interested if you'd post the name and pics of what you've tried and found works.

Soldering tips: dip the wire ends in a tiny bit of alcohol and briefly burn off the nylon support strands and coating with a cigarette lighter before tinning the ends and then soldering. If you are timid, cut the wire near the speaker (1") rather than desoldering it. You can then test the whole thing out by twisting wires together rather than straight away soldering your new wires to the speakers. The joint can still be coiled up and hidden in the earpiece housing. It will also keep clear what color wire goes where and if you aren't good with soldering (like me) that also has the advantage of not risking making a total mess of the contacts on the speakers straight away! The "standard" earphone color code is Red pair on Right channel, Blue or Green on Left.

On a related issue on audio on the Note 2, I'd like to mention that I had to use the volume mod (I edited my own default_gain.conf - root required) so that the phone call volume, as well as streaming audio such you get with news apps, was high enough for me - though I also increased the volume for music as well. Also, I recommend using the Equalizer app from the Play store rather than Beats Audio to add some extra bass etc to the earphones since unlike Beats, it is a system wide EQ, so you can improve the sound of podcasts and phone calls as well as your music! Using it necessitates disabling all other EQs.

Love the Note 2 and this forum! Good Luck and I hope this helps someone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebay Earphones.jpg
Views:	3482
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1554290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alterations.jpg
Views:	3095
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1554291  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dumbo53 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RojasTKD
Old
(Last edited by RojasTKD; 11th December 2012 at 05:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 206
Sorry, I only made it half way to the 2nd paragraph. That's a long post.
If I've been helpful please click the thanks button
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RojasTKD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

57hemi
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Didn't read you long post but from the title I use some MEE i9p's the mic works fine but since they don't have a volume button cant answer that part.

iahk
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo53 View Post
I say this because everyone with an iPhone is used to having a big selection of working headsets that have these controls. Because of the wide variety of android phones and their conficting standards, manufacturers have evidently decided it not worthwhile trying to make android compatible earphones with volume controls since they have assumed they'd have to be device specific, and instead opted for a few single button ones.
Isn't Apple the odd one out here? Their inline remotes don't work in other devices, but an inline remote that works for android also works for blackberry devices. The inline remotes made for android devices all work for each android device.. what the buttons actually do is a different story. Oddly, for samsung, the ff and rw buttons control the volume in their devices instead.. but I think this is a more ideal usage of it. Since if you get a rom that has hold volume for ff or rw, you'll have double usage of the buttons. On HTC devices, they work as intended (ff and rw actually ff and rw).
hardware: htc evo 003 (new cam)
rom: miui 1.5.6
kernel: SavagedZen 2.2.0 CFS HAVS

twanskys204
Old
(Last edited by twanskys204; 29th March 2013 at 05:14 PM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 971
I use these scull candys and they function properly...
The Following User Says Thank You to twanskys204 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Cab121
Old
(Last edited by Cab121; 13th December 2012 at 02:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 182
Ok. So out of the replies so far most stated they didnt read it all since its rather lengthy. Props for honesty guys. I did read all of the post. The OP has done his or her homework and confirmed a few suspicions and answered a few questions I had about earbud controls. Along with a very educated way of asking us to give feedback on successful full volume controls and what breand or models we found worked.

I have been useing the Samsung buds that came with my wifes S3. So yea full control on every rom I have used thus far. Hybrid and Jedi.

Great post OP. Everyone else read the entire post before replying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cab121 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RojasTKD
Old
(Last edited by RojasTKD; 13th December 2012 at 04:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 206
I just got the Motorola S11 Flex HD (Bluetooth headphones). They are sweat proof and designed for running and working out. They have a power button, multi-function button, a volume up and down button. I enjoy the freedom of being wireless, especially when running/working out.

Audio quality is ok, probably no worse than the standard headset the come with most devices. They don't compare to my quality headphones (Shure SE530, Klipsch X10). I'm sure you lose some audio quality when making the device sweat proof.

What I wasn't expecting was the built in mic to work as well as they did. I've made three phone calls and they all said I sounded fine and in fact better than my previous BT headset. Now this wasn't in windy or noisy conditions, but still better than I expected.
If I've been helpful please click the thanks button
The Following User Says Thank You to RojasTKD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raduque
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahk View Post
Oddly, for samsung, the ff and rw buttons control the volume in their devices instead.. but I think this is a more ideal usage of it. Since if you get a rom that has hold volume for ff or rw, you'll have double usage of the buttons. On HTC devices, they work as intended (ff and rw actually ff and rw).
That's why I use a 3-button Samsung headphone set and a music player that uses long-press (or multi-press) of the answer/end button to skip tracks.
2004 Ford F150 4.6L V8: Stock... for now
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Microsoft Surface RT 64gb
Asus Transformer TF101 32gb: KatKiss 4.3.1
The Following User Says Thank You to raduque For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[-]awkeye
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahk View Post
Isn't Apple the odd one out here? Their inline remotes don't work in other devices, but an inline remote that works for android also works for blackberry devices. The inline remotes made for android devices all work for each android device.. what the buttons actually do is a different story. Oddly, for samsung, the ff and rw buttons control the volume in their devices instead.. but I think this is a more ideal usage of it. Since if you get a rom that has hold volume for ff or rw, you'll have double usage of the buttons. On HTC devices, they work as intended (ff and rw actually ff and rw).
Its because Apple made the 3rd pin on the headphone jack just a little lower so you can't use their headphones anywhere else except on an Apple device. It forces all the other OEM's to follow suit hence the "lack" of support for Android. Another silly game of having proprietary devices. Haven't you noticed that with there new "lightning" connector? The world is using microUSB Apple for goodness sake!

Because of that, I decided to drop the inline button management and went back to the old school way of doing things (manually), Klipsch Image X10's baby.

If I ever do decide to manage my music, I'll use a stereo bluetooth device with built-in audio controls.

themyst
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Guys, I just bought these for $6.99, voila volume controls. Compared to the OEM ones that came with my friend's Sprint Note 2 and they are identical. Wish I could use my Klipsch over-ears but hey, these sound decent for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0AW0FR3561

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themyst For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]