Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,474 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Jelly Bean Lockscreen Circle Notifications?

Tip us?

1000cleverlines
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Jelly Bean Lockscreen Circle Notifications?

I've been doing some searching around the web and haven't been able to find a fix for this yet. I flashed the latest Jelly Bean leak last night and noticed that the circle notifications on the lockscreen are gone (the ones for missed calls/new messages). I saw a fix for the Galaxy Note II that involved changing a file name and that would bring those back. Is there any way to bring them back on the S3?

pkd600
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000cleverlines View Post
I've been doing some searching around the web and haven't been able to find a fix for this yet. I flashed the latest Jelly Bean leak last night and noticed that the circle notifications on the lockscreen are gone (the ones for missed calls/new messages). I saw a fix for the Galaxy Note II that involved changing a file name and that would bring those back. Is there any way to bring them back on the S3?
Simple fix. You need a File Explorer app that has Root permissions, access to Root directory, and can mount System files as writable (I recommend ES File Explorer).

In you file explorer, navigate to "/system/csc/" and rename "customer xml" to "customer xml.bak".

Restart your phone. The Lock icon and "verizon wireless" text will be gone from your lockscreen, and the bubble notifications will be back.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pkd600 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Brian Gove
Old
Thanks Meter 328
I've tried that using CleanRom5 and it didn't work for me :-/
-PLEASE check out this Guide before asking how to do something(Your answer could be there already)

Devices:
  • Thumb and Pinky
  • Tin Can and String
  • Nokia Dumbphone
  • Motorola Droid X

Current:
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII
  • Google Nexus 7
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014

pkd600
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gove View Post
I've tried that using CleanRom5 and it didn't work for me :-/
Did you restart your device afterwards? It is working just fine for me right now on CleanRom5.

raider5oh
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I'm having the problem too. I tried the fix posted above with no luck after restart.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
HTC Thunderbolt rooted with Verizon's bloatware removed!

pkd600
Old
Thanks Meter 163
I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but this solution definitely works and has been done by hundreds of people successfully.

My guess is that you don't have the proper root permissions to change the file name (it's a system file). Do it using ES File Explorer. Go into the ES File Explorer settings, go into the Root Settings, and check all of the boxes. Then rename the file. It works on CleanRom 5, I am 100% positive of that.

I have no yet flashed CleanRom5.5, but I am 99% positive this same solution will work on that as well.

Brian Gove
Old
Thanks Meter 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdykstra View Post
I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but this solution definitely works and has been done by hundreds of people successfully.

My guess is that you don't have the proper root permissions to change the file name (it's a system file). Do it using ES File Explorer. Go into the ES File Explorer settings, go into the Root Settings, and check all of the boxes. Then rename the file. It works on CleanRom 5, I am 100% positive of that.

I have no yet flashed CleanRom5.5, but I am 99% positive this same solution will work on that as well.
I've used root explorer in ROM toolbox and ES both. I've followed the steps outlined above, doublechecked that the rename took and rebooted several times. And this is the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355284331043.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1556507  
-PLEASE check out this Guide before asking how to do something(Your answer could be there already)

Devices:
  • Thumb and Pinky
  • Tin Can and String
  • Nokia Dumbphone
  • Motorola Droid X

Current:
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII
  • Google Nexus 7
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014

Outlaw621
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdykstra View Post
Simple fix. You need a File Explorer app that has Root permissions, access to Root directory, and can mount System files as writable (I recommend ES File Explorer).

In you file explorer, navigate to "/system/csc/" and rename "customer xml" to "customer xml.bak".

Restart your phone. The Lock icon and "verizon wireless" text will be gone from your lockscreen, and the bubble notifications will be back.
This worked for me on Stock-Rooted. Thank you.

xM Minton Mx
Old
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I've used root explorer in ROM toolbox and ES both. I've followed the steps outlined above, doublechecked that the rename took and rebooted several times. And this is the results.
Your using aosp msg app. Or gosms. I'm unsure but the looks of your screen shot that's the problem. You have to be using the tw mms app. Hope that helps :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to xM Minton Mx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pkd600
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Yes, the bubble notifications ONLY work with the TouchWIZ messaging and dialer apps.