Tip us?

Skunk Ape1
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 4780

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWC59382 View Post
Thanks man! Followed the guide on GalaxyS3Root.com after updating Jelly bean and it failed. This one works perfectly on my AT&T GS3! Cheers!
No problem... the at&t guys on Android Central have been using my guide to root their phones for quite some time now. So I know it works. Glad you were successful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skunk Ape1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arasarn
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Anyone try this on a rogers GS 3?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

Skunk Ape1
Old
Thanks Meter 4780

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by arasarn View Post
Anyone try this on a rogers GS 3?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app
I haven't heard but it should work on the Rogers I747. Let us know...

The Following User Says Thank You to Skunk Ape1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vancitygl
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Any chance you could make a guide for mac users? Much thanks!

Skunk Ape1
Old
Thanks Meter 4780

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancitygl View Post
Any chance you could make a guide for mac users? Much thanks!
Sorry I don't have a Mac. I only know that you need a program called hiemdall. Don't even know if you use the same files. I can't in good conscience, put out a guide completely blind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skunk Ape1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smelenchuk
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Ape1 View Post
Don't even know if you use the same files.
Yes and no - you need to extract the individual files from the .tar image in order to use the image with Heimdall. Unfortunately, not having gone through the entire process myself in that fashion, I can't really comment on which files match up with which Heimdall options, though I may look more in detail into that at a later date.

vancitygl
Old
Thanks Meter 2
No worries Skunk Ape1. I just haven't been able to find a guide for 4.1.1 on mac.
smelenchuk if you do please let me know your findings! Thanks man

Judge Joseph Dredd
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Thanks Meter 21358
RC great work here, worthy of a sticky, so Stuck and Thank you.

Control Operator 1: Do you require backup? Judge Dredd: No.

You require Assistance, just @ or send it, to my Inbox.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge Joseph Dredd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smelenchuk
Old
(Last edited by smelenchuk; 19th December 2012 at 01:11 AM.) Reason: Works for me...
Thanks Meter 192
Okay, I've taken the time to tinker with Heimdall a bit to get the partition identifiers from my own phone (which matches up from the info from this old thread), and have put together the following, which seems to work for me. This was with Heimdall 1.4-rc1; I think earlier versions don't accept numeric identifiers.

You'd probably better have a plan on hand to get things back to normal if this doesn't work (I'm not responsible for your bricking your own device if this doesn't work).

You'll need to extract the .tar image before using this; if you're at a command line,
Code:
tar xf <image>.tar
should suffice to do that. You'll end up with the following files:
Code:
aboot.mbn
boot.img
cache.img.ext4
NON-HLOS.bin
recovery.img
rpm.mbn
sbl2.mbn
sbl3.mbn
system.img.ext4
tz.mbn
Afterwards, boot your phone into download mode (from a powered-down phone, Vol Down + Home + Power Button until you see the Samsung logo) and make sure you're completely ready and have backups and all before you run the following (I'm not going to be held responsible for you bricking your own phone and being unable to recover from it afterwards):

Code:
heimdall flash --1 NON-HLOS.bin --3 sbl2.mbn --4 sbl3.mbn --5 aboot.mbn --6 rpm.mbn --7 boot.img --8 tz.mbn --14 system.img.ext4 --17 cache.img.ext4 --18 recovery.img
You should be able to get away with flashing only some of those images instead of all of them (in particular, if you have a third party recovery from somewhere, you might want to omit the recovery image); that said, if you're only flashing some of the specified images as opposed to all of them, I'm almost certain it will trip the flash counter. (I don't know if flashing *everything* will trip the flash counter or not, though, seeing as I deliberately did not flash the recovery during my own test for ease of restoring my phone to its normal happy state.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smelenchuk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skottyboi34
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Already hit the thanks button once, but wanted to formally thank you for this super easy root/recovery guide! Less than 5 minutes and done! Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe