Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Discussion][ROM][S4][WIP] CM10.1 on HTC One S

OP fipsib

13th December 2012, 06:29 AM   |  #21  
klutch's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bronx,Ny
Thanks Meter: 47
 
672 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
More
well it seemz that 10.1 experimental had a issue and did eveything wipe ect... i just rather wait for the next update , i thought i bricked it n checked everything n i was doing it right but its the build that he may not working properly, so like i said its much better to wait for the next one and go back to the one u had backed up
Last edited by klutch; 13th December 2012 at 06:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to klutch For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th December 2012, 06:33 AM   |  #22  
rugmankc's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,848
 
7,575 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by klutch

well it seemz that 10.1 experimental had a issue and did eveything wipe ect... i just rather wait for the next update , i thought i bricked it n checked everything n i was doing it right but its the build that he mad not working properly, so like i said its much better to wait for the next one and go back to the one u had backed up

gotcha--there is always a rom or two that doesn't want to play nice on some phones no matter what we do
13th December 2012, 03:03 PM   |  #23  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
Why is it so difficult to get a working version of cyanogenmod? Just curious as to why every new release is utterly broken.
13th December 2012, 03:25 PM   |  #24  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
My CM10 has been working great since I starded flashing CM Roms. Like 2 months ago.

Sent from my HTC One S
13th December 2012, 03:37 PM   |  #25  
rugmankc's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,848
 
7,575 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
That's why they call it development and it is free to you--

I question your comment "every" release is broken

If you are about talking cyanogen in general, the nightlies work fine for me and most folks

If talking about this one, READ xkonni's comments in his CM10 thread. He said he probably uploaded this too early. But, WE are appreciative he did so we can get a taste of JB4.2 as it gets DEVELOPED--

Except for camera and bluetooth it works very well, not a daily for most, but not intended as one--

The technicals are beyond me to answer that part of your question, but enjoy these builds and respect the hard work the devs put in to these roms, working 100% or not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rugmankc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th December 2012, 05:09 PM   |  #26  
el_smurfo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,121
 
3,341 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHou

Why is it so difficult to get a working version of cyanogenmod? Just curious as to why every new release is utterly broken.

1. AOSP is not device specific, so every single handset needs to have it's specific drivers and associated tweaks imported by hand, one by one, by one or two dedicated developers, entirely in their spare time.

2. Utterly broken is just stupid. This build is 95% working only a few weeks after release to AOSP. The camera and bluetooth functions are always hard to get because the code is usually closed source for the hardware layers. If I didn't have a toddler I wanted to photograph, this would be my daily driver right now.

3. Most would find it very hard to get motivated to spend their free time delivering up awesome ROMs only to be told they are "utterly broken". I'd suggest you rewrite your comment as follows: "Why is it so difficult to get appreciation for devoting ones free time to developing awesome ROMs. Just curious why so many users are utterly rude".
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to el_smurfo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th December 2012, 05:58 PM   |  #27  
Darknites's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,427
 
5,856 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_smurfo

1. AOSP is not device specific, so every single handset needs to have it's specific drivers and associated tweaks imported by hand, one by one, by one or two dedicated developers, entirely in their spare time.

2. Utterly broken is just stupid. This build is 95% working only a few weeks after release to AOSP. The camera and bluetooth functions are always hard to get because the code is usually closed source for the hardware layers. If I didn't have a toddler I wanted to photograph, this would be my daily driver right now.

3. Most would find it very hard to get motivated to spend their free time delivering up awesome ROMs only to be told they are "utterly broken". I'd suggest you rewrite your comment as follows: "Why is it so difficult to get appreciation for devoting ones free time to developing awesome ROMs. Just curious why so many users are utterly rude".

Agreed, I have no real issues with AOSP roms.
13th December 2012, 06:37 PM   |  #28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 490
 
2,116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
I think the issue is about curiosity as to WHY they are broken, i.e. the camera was fixed in 4.1.2 so why is it broken in 4.2? To be honest I'm quite curious about that as well. Or eg the headset detection - this existed in 4.1 but was fixed, so I would have thought it should continue working on 4.2...
13th December 2012, 06:49 PM   |  #29  
el_smurfo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,121
 
3,341 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubtronic

I think the issue is about curiosity as to WHY they are broken, i.e. the camera was fixed in 4.1.2 so why is it broken in 4.2? To be honest I'm quite curious about that as well. Or eg the headset detection - this existed in 4.1 but was fixed, so I would have thought it should continue working on 4.2...

I suspect because the device specific parts of the One S have not been merged into the 4.2 branch. I don't think AOSP contains any proprietary code, while any handset hardware requires these binaries and hardware interface layers.
13th December 2012, 07:37 PM   |  #30  
tnpapadakos's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 1,031
 
2,890 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubtronic

I think the issue is about curiosity as to WHY they are broken, i.e. the camera was fixed in 4.1.2 so why is it broken in 4.2? To be honest I'm quite curious about that as well. Or eg the headset detection - this existed in 4.1 but was fixed, so I would have thought it should continue working on 4.2...

this used to irk me too
now i think of aosp as the OS
then there's the hardware specific files like libs and such...i think of these as the drivers

not even Windows has all the drivers you'll ever need included

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
10.1, cm10.1, cyanogenmod, discussion
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes