Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,222 Members 44,641 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Defect - Plastic around the screen cracking with light use.

Tip us?

hp79
Old
(Last edited by hp79; 12th January 2013 at 07:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Default Defect - Plastic around the screen cracking with light use.

I was cleaning my 9 months old Galaxy Note today, and noticed micro fine cracks, (THREE OF THEM!!) around the plastic that is surrounding the screen. I never dropped it or handled it rough. It was always in a protective case, with a screen protector.
Here's a photo of mine:

There is a similar post for the AT&T model.

Since I got the unlocked international version through Amazon, I have no warranty support at all here in U.S. This sucks.
If I had known about this problem, I would have never bought this phone. I am really pissed, and will not buy any Samsung phones designed this way.

I've read that Galaxy S3 also has this problem. I imagine that Note 2 will probably be the same.

howard bamber
Old
Thanks Meter 169
3 MICRO cracks after 9 months and you say 'do not buy' Seems totally over the top to me.

From the man in your attic...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard bamber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hp79
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard bamber View Post
3 MICRO cracks after 9 months and you say 'do not buy' Seems totally over the top to me.

From the man in your attic...
Maybe it is acceptable for some people... I would definitely not accept anything like this happen to my gadgets. Heck, there shouldn't be any micro cracks even after 2 years. All my gadgets looks new after years. That's how much I'm careful with these things.

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp79 View Post
I was cleaning my 9 months old Galaxy Note today, and noticed micro fine cracks, (THREE OF THEM!!) around the plastic that is surrounding the screen. I never dropped it or handled it rough. It was always in a protective case, with a screen protector.
There is a similar post for the AT&T model.

Since I got the unlocked international version through Amazon, I have no warranty support at all here in U.S. This sucks.
If I had known about this problem, I would have never bought this phone. I am really pissed, and will not buy any Samsung phones designed this way.

I've read that Galaxy S3 also has this problem. I imagine that Note 2 will probably be the same.
You got three, that's THREE tiny cracks on your phone and you're freaking out after 9 months? Also, i have never heard of this before, so this is clearly an isolated incident. I have no cracks and i bet 99.999% of people out there doesn't have it either. Go home son, you're drunk.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

msedek
Old
Thanks Meter 644
Quote:
Maybe it is acceptable for some people... I would definitely not accept anything like this happen to my gadgets. Heck, there shouldn't be any micro cracks even after 2 years. All my gadgets looks new after years. That's how much I'm careful with these things.
Poor wife and kids.. Get over it.. Stuff its just stuff... Enjoy your devices until you get a new one and that's it.. "micro scratch" pfft get a life

Tapatalking on my n7000

Gugelhupf
Old
Thanks Meter 2068
"while being babysitted"
Don't feed the little baby troll :banghead:

sig pic ukicar

hp79
Old
(Last edited by hp79; 12th January 2013 at 07:34 PM.) Reason: moved pic to first post
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
You got three, that's THREE tiny cracks on your phone and you're freaking out after 9 months? Also, i have never heard of this before, so this is clearly an isolated incident. I have no cracks and i bet 99.999% of people out there doesn't have it either. Go home son, you're drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msedek View Post
Poor wife and kids.. Get over it.. Stuff its just stuff... Enjoy your devices until you get a new one and that's it.. "micro scratch" pfft get a life

Tapatalking on my n7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugelhupf View Post
"while being babysitted"
Don't feed the little baby troll :banghead:
Wow, so offensive here. No I'm not drunk. Yes I know it's just a device, albeit a poor quality one. it's not a scratch, it's a real crack. A plastic piece separated into two or more pieces. Big difference there. Third, I'm not trolling so please stop trolling.

I paid $600 for a high end device, and I expect a certain level of quality with that price tag. I'm not as rich as you guys so I take care of my gadgets and use it for at least two years. I found mine having this crack after 9 months of careful use, most likely developed over time. It's just now that I found this while cleaning it.

This is not an isolated issue as I can easily find people with same issues. Here are some of the "0.001% of people" complaining about the cracks because the bad build quality/material.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...t-nowhere.html
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/35091-hai...n-the-sides-d/
http://www.huzoorbux.com/samsung-gal...l#.UMk3SYO5PzQ

I don't understand why you guys are so defensive about this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hp79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gedster314
Old
Thanks Meter 111
I bought my black note in Feb 2012. I just looked at mine with a magnifying glass, no micro cracks in mine. Little rough on one corner where my Macbook Air fell on it, what a heart attack that was. It just ripped my screen protector. I say just throw a tpu cover on it and forget about it.

White historically has issues. The HTC One X had issues with white and I remember the White HTC Vouge for Verizon had a slight cracking issue. I wonder in order to make it white they have to add too much TiO2 in and less plasticizer making it more brittle. I usually try to avoid white phones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gedster314 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
Just checked my black Note, purchased in November 2011. No cracks at all, and I've dropped it a couple of times including one time when I dropped it face down onto a wet concrete floor (the rough type you find outdoors).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

burtcom
Old
Thanks Meter 327
Quote:

I don't understand why you guys are so defensive about this.
You pretty much have to expect rudeness when posting here. Report them or ignore them.

As for the warranty -- are you sure you don't have one? Check with Amazon. I thought anyone selling in the US has to provide the manufacturer warranty.

Of course they might not cover cracks anyway since it would be hard to prove it wasnt dropped.

The Following User Says Thank You to burtcom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
cheap, crack, plastic, screen