Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,988 Members 53,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WARNING: Once youre unlocked dont use odin to flash custom ROMs.

Tip us?

AdamOutler
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9,610

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevd View Post
That's what I figured , I thought I'd ask the dumb question to explicitly clarify it.
Heimdall is great for kernel developers. It allows them to rapidly deploy a kernel to a device as part of the build process. The problem comes when the general populous uses Odin packages all the time. I put this information out for the masses. Until now, Odin was the standard. The standard has changed. This is a notification. If you NEED Odin or heimdall, you'll know it.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
Wanna see the longest Linux BASH script ever made? click here.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vanilla gorilla
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Re: WARNING: Once youre unlocked dont use odin to flash custom ROMs.

Hey I used the one click exynos exploit to root and then fixed the exploit. I then prepped for the ota by removing root without disabling the exploit. So now I cannot accept the ota (not such a bad thing) but then I wanted to root and unlock my btloader with the casual method. No go. It seems as if the exploit is caising me some issues. So I have read that I may jave to just go back a o stock via odin. I was just wondering if there was a anything else I could do.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
HTC SENSATION
-stock

SGS-VIBRANT
ROOTED 1st Method
C/W Recovery
*SOLD

HTC-G1
ROOTED-AMONRA
Latest SuperBad/CM
OC'd 576
*DROWNED

ILMF
Old
Thanks Meter 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gnone View Post
In context, imnuts has put out a Recovery flash-able version of CWM. If one tries his CWM but wants to go back to TWRP then currently it seems that one need to ODIN it. To Adam Outler's point it would be safer to have a Recovery flash-able version of TWRP. [?]
get GooManager from the play store. Run it. When it opens, hit your menu soft key and select Run OpenRecoveryScript. It will install the latest TWRP. Worked for me. I am rooted and unlocked. Had to update to the latest TWRP in order to flash Adryn's safe update zip.

unlocked Note2
unlocked note2

bulabone
Old
(Last edited by bulabone; 30th January 2013 at 12:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMF View Post
get GooManager from the play store. Run it. When it opens, hit your menu soft key and select Run OpenRecoveryScript. It will install the latest TWRP. Worked for me. I am rooted and unlocked. Had to update to the latest TWRP in order to flash Adryn's safe update zip.

unlocked Note2
Tried this... says "there are no recoveries found for your device" should we still not flash recoveries with ODIN?

EDIT: i just downloaded the flash-able zip from TWRP's website and flashed the new version in TWRP
The Following User Says Thank You to bulabone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

italbomber
Old
Thanks Meter 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejron View Post
Thanks for your hours of work. People WILL screw this up, unfortunately.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
Fortunately for me someone local didn't read the thread (didn't know what he was doing either) and used Odin in the improper way and "bricked" his phone. Had the yellow triangle to return to Verizon. I bought it for $300 and used Odin to get back to stock then Adams root and unlock method with the help of d.m.x.YouTube video and PROFIT! thanks for all of your hard work. Greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
ROM: CleanROM 1.1
Phone/Device: VZW HTC One Max
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.2

peaveyone
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Noob Questions

First of all, Thank you...this stuff is awesome.

I used this tool to unlock my phone which also installed a recovery. Is there any way to get into recovery from the phone while it is on? I used to have an option on another phone using CWM that said reboot into recovery. I can turn my phone off then hold down the key sequence and restart it into recovery but was hoping to get there the other way.

Next, everything I read says don't use ODIN after using this tool....being a noob i still have to ask.... the toolkit that was designed for this phone appears to use ODIN for many of its functions. (3.0 found in another thread). Is this toolkit safe to use or is it considered a custom ROM. Again, I apologize if this is a total noob question.

RomsWell
Old
Thanks Meter 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaveyone View Post

I used this tool to unlock my phone which also installed a recovery. Is there any way to get into recovery from the phone while it is on? I used to have an option on another phone using CWM that said reboot into recovery. I can turn my phone off then hold down the key sequence and restart it into recovery but was hoping to get there the other way.

Next, everything I read says don't use ODIN after using this tool....being a noob i still have to ask.... the toolkit that was designed for this phone appears to use ODIN for many of its functions. (3.0 found in another thread). Is this toolkit safe to use or is it considered a custom ROM. Again, I apologize if this is a total noob question.
There are a few apps out there that have extended power options. Rom toolbox off the top of my head. And maybe other called fast reboot or quick reboot maybe

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

tfly212
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaveyone View Post

You can try QuickBoot from the Play store...it gives you direct access to recovery. Many of the ROMs build this into the power menu (when you hold down the power button you will have extra choices - with Beans you can "restart" and then you have the option to go to recovery. Now that you are unlocked, ODIN should only be used if you ever need to go back to pure stock for a warranty return, service etc.

As for the toolkit, you can use it, but you probably won't need it as most of the functions, or at least the ones you are likely to use as someone new to tinkering with an android phone, can be accessed in recovery. It is not a ROM, but a program you run on your PC to facilitate actions on the phone.
AllianceROM 24
Devices previously Rooted and Rommed: Charge, Captivate, Nook Color, Lenovo IdeaPad A1, DINC, Razr Maxx

Arrio
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
I wish I could've seen this thread earlier...
My recovery broke earlier due to some random mod flashing,
I couldn't boot, nor go into recovery, so I used Odin to flash Stock rom,
but I think I flashed the wrong file, and now my phone can't use internal storage, connect to network at all....

I wish someone can help me out, I have spent 9 hours straight trying to figure this out.

kintwofan
Old
Thanks Meter 2,844

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrio View Post
I wish I could've seen this thread earlier...
My recovery broke earlier due to some random mod flashing,
I couldn't boot, nor go into recovery, so I used Odin to flash Stock rom,
but I think I flashed the wrong file, and now my phone can't use internal storage, connect to network at all....

I wish someone can help me out, I have spent 9 hours straight trying to figure this out.
Have you tried to reflash the correct file what was the file name you used

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2