Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more
Post Reply

[SOUNDS][CWM] NEW! Android Sounds Compilation - Flashable - v1.4 (05/03/2014)

OP AntoniusMaximus

13th December 2012, 10:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Brussels, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 71
 
67 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Hello everyone,

I spent some time extracting ROMs and having a look at their sound files to make a compilation of my own. I also gathered a small list of sounds from freesound.org and added them in.

After countless hours of searching, choosing, reorganising, renaming and tagging, I put together most of the ringtones, alarms and notifications coming from Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc. I omitted quite a few, because I followed some strict rules to make the set as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

Some highlights regarding the content :
  • Most AOSP sounds up to KitKat
  • Most Samsung, Motorola, HTC and LG sounds
  • Fallout Level Up sound, Katniss whistle sound from Hunger Games, Bombay Sapphire advertisement music, etc...
The rules of selection were :
  • No licenced music
  • No lyrics
  • Audible sounds, focused on treble rather than bass (for phone speakers)
  • No high-pitched horrors (CyanogenMod, I'm looking at you)
What does this package do?
  • It removes all ringtones, notifications and alarms from your device
  • It replaces them with this rather large compilation, most likely containing the sound files that were previously erased
  • It sets the right permissions so that sounds are playable
  • It prevents duplicate sounds
All right, but technically speaking, what does this package do?
  • rm -rf /system/media/audio/ringtones /system/media/audio/alarms /system/media/audio/notifications
  • Package extracted to /system
  • chmod -R 644 /system/media/audio/ringtones /system/media/audio/alarms /system/media/audio/notifications
Why not just put those sounds in the SDCard?
Well, for one I like to keep my SDCard as clean as possible. Also, you'll end up with duplicates conflicting with the sounds already present in /system/media and I have no patience to weed them out systematically. Plus, I really like the idea of flashing a ROM, then flash this package right over it to replace the default sounds. As I said, most of the stock sounds from Google, HTC, Samsung et al. are in the package already.

Isn't this going to blow up my system partition?
I tried it on a Galaxy Gio with CM10 and /system still had several megabytes free. The package can be flashed on most devices, I believe, but exceptions can occur if you are the proud owner of a device with a very small system partition.

Screw your damn package, I don't have enough space and/or I am not about to root my phone to flash this stuff!
No problem, you can still download it and extract the Notifications, Alarms and Ringtones directories to your SDCard. The ringtones will be visible by your phone/tablet either instantly or upon the next media scan. Keep in mind it's very likely you'll get duplicates, and if it annoys you, you can always weed them out with a file explorer.

Are you going to update this package?
Yes, occasionally, when I hear something cool and fit to be used as a phone or tablet sound. I do this mostly for myself, but I thought I could share for those who don't like to spend time sorting out their notifications and ringtones...

Can I add stuff to the package?
Yes, definitely. Just use a decent program like 7zip to open the file, and add stuff to whichever directory in system/media. It will be treated by the script just like any other file.

Can I suggest new sounds?
Of course, I'd be happy to add anything that sounds cool. However, I will still veto horrible stuff - I know it's subjective, so if you really need it please see the question above.

Enough talk, where can I get it?
Here - Big enough for you?

Don't hesitate to provide me with suggestions, feedback, remarks, insults, etc.

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
--
Last edited by AntoniusMaximus; 7th March 2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Version 1.4 uploaded (fixed)
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to AntoniusMaximus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2014, 07:39 PM   |  #2  
Ariesdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saskatune
Thanks Meter: 350
 
393 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
Unhappy ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoniusMaximus

Hello everyone,

I spent some time extracting ROMs and having a look at their sound files to make a compilation of my own. I also gathered a small list of sounds from freesound.org and added them in.

After countless hours of searching, choosing, reorganising, renaming and tagging, I put together most of the ringtones, alarms and notifications coming from Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc. I omitted quite a few, because I followed some strict rules to make the set as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

Some highlights regarding the content :

  • Most AOSP sounds up to KitKat
  • Most Samsung, Motorola, HTC and LG sounds
  • Fallout Level Up sound, Katniss whistle sound from Hunger Games, Bombay Sapphire advertisement music, etc...
The rules of selection were :
  • No licenced music
  • No lyrics
  • Audible sounds, focused on treble rather than bass (for phone speakers)
  • No high-pitched horrors (CyanogenMod, I'm looking at you)
What does this package do?
  • It removes all ringtones, notifications and alarms from your device
  • It replaces them with this rather large compilation, most likely containing the sound files that were previously erased
  • It sets the right permissions so that sounds are playable
  • It prevents duplicate sounds
All right, but technically speaking, what does this package do?
  • rm -rf /system/media/audio/ringtones /system/media/audio/alarms /system/media/audio/notifications
  • Package extracted to /system
  • chmod -R 644 /system/media/audio/ringtones /system/media/audio/alarms /system/media/audio/notifications
Why not just put those sounds in the SDCard?
Well, for one I like to keep my SDCard as clean as possible. Also, you'll end up with duplicates conflicting with the sounds already present in /system/media and I have no patience to weed them out systematically. Plus, I really like the idea of flashing a ROM, then flash this package right over it to replace the default sounds. As I said, most of the stock sounds from Google, HTC, Samsung et al. are in the package already.

Isn't this going to blow up my system partition?
I tried it on a Galaxy Gio with CM10 and /system still had several megabytes free. The package can be flashed on most devices, I believe, but exceptions can occur if you are the proud owner of a device with a very small system partition.

Screw your damn package, I don't have enough space and/or I am not about to root my phone to flash this stuff!
No problem, you can still download it and extract the Notifications, Alarms and Ringtones directories to your SDCard. The ringtones will be visible by your phone/tablet either instantly or upon the next media scan. Keep in mind it's very likely you'll get duplicates, and if it annoys you, you can always weed them out with a file explorer.

Are you going to update this package?
Yes, occasionally, when I hear something cool and fit to be used as a phone or tablet sound. I do this mostly for myself, but I thought I could share for those who don't like to spend time sorting out their notifications and ringtones...

Can I add stuff to the package?
Yes, definitely. Just use a decent program like 7zip to open the file, and add stuff to whichever directory in system/media. It will be treated by the script just like any other file.

Can I suggest new sounds?
Of course, I'd be happy to add anything that sounds cool. However, I will still veto horrible stuff - I know it's subjective, so if you really need it please see the question above.

Enough talk, where can I get it?
Here - Big enough for you?

Don't hesitate to provide me with suggestions, feedback, remarks, insults, etc.

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
--

This got me really excited as I have been trying to figure out a way to get my sounds into our ROM...

I edited the zip and added my ogg sounds and flashed and it didn't change anything?

So I tried flashing your zip as is and it also didn't change anything?? What am I doing wrong? Its flashing fine...but everything is still the same upon reboot...?

any help would be great as I want to figure out how to make this work...I noticed you have CWM in brackets in the OP...Is it not compatible with aosp based ROMs??
The Following User Says Thank You to Ariesdroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2014, 11:00 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Brussels, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 71
 
67 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariesdroid

This got me really excited as I have been trying to figure out a way to get my sounds into our ROM...

I edited the zip and added my ogg sounds and flashed and it didn't change anything?

So I tried flashing your zip as is and it also didn't change anything?? What am I doing wrong? Its flashing fine...but everything is still the same upon reboot...?

any help would be great as I want to figure out how to make this work...I noticed you have CWM in brackets in the OP...Is it not compatible with aosp based ROMs??

All right, I have redone the script using busybox instead of mounting proprietary partitions. Re-download and try it out, it worked well on my Galaxy Note 2.
7th March 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #4  
Ariesdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saskatune
Thanks Meter: 350
 
393 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoniusMaximus

All right, I have redone the script using busybox instead of mounting proprietary partitions. Re-download and try it out, it worked well on my Galaxy Note 2.

Cool, would that mean people need to have busybox installed? I do myself as I always have it....but just wondering...
7th March 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Brussels, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 71
 
67 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariesdroid

Cool, would that mean people need to have busybox installed? I do myself as I always have it....but just wondering...

Yes. Fortunately it's rather easy to install.
8th March 2014, 12:35 AM   |  #6  
Ariesdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saskatune
Thanks Meter: 350
 
393 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
thanks!!Its working now! going to edit it tonight add some of sounds...thanks again...

Sent from my unknown using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
8th March 2014, 01:01 AM   |  #7  
dave2metz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Clearwater, Florida
Thanks Meter: 175
 
1,158 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Hey there. Thanks for the great sounds package. So can I just flash this on top of my current rom? I have a Nexus 5 running SlimKat 4.4.2. I wasn't sure if this is meant to be flashed right after a fresh rom install...Also, can I use TWRP Recovery instead of CWM? Thanks a lot!
8th March 2014, 05:45 AM   |  #8  
Ariesdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saskatune
Thanks Meter: 350
 
393 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoniusMaximus

Yes. Fortunately it's rather easy to install.

Indeed...thanks so much for this! Its working perfect.

I have a weird issue though. I've created about 15 notifications and 20 ringtones and I have them named. When I copy them into the zip they are still named properly, but when I open up the sound options in the rom, they show up as long numbers.... like a ringtone called Groove is showing as 1626253535446353500005353. lol. Do you have any idea why that would happen?? I know its something to do with my files. I edited the sounds in cool edit, exported as .mp3 and then converted them to .ogg ....the strangest thing is some of them stay named properly and some of them turn into the long numbers??

that's the last thing I need to figure out in order to make this perfect. The sounds still play fine...its just kind of annoying that the names don't show up properly...
8th March 2014, 06:24 AM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag Brussels, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 71
 
67 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2metz

Hey there. Thanks for the great sounds package. So can I just flash this on top of my current rom? I have a Nexus 5 running SlimKat 4.4.2. I wasn't sure if this is meant to be flashed right after a fresh rom install...Also, can I use TWRP Recovery instead of CWM? Thanks a lot!

Yes, flash it on top of anything fresh or not fresh. Keep in mind this is a replacement package, which means it will delete all of your ringtones, alarms and notifications! It will replace them with what's included in the package. As I said above, if you wish to add any custom files, just open the zip and put anything you want (.ogg or .mp3 only) in the appropriate directories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariesdroid

Indeed...thanks so much for this! Its working perfect.

I have a weird issue though. I've created about 15 notifications and 20 ringtones and I have them named. When I copy them into the zip they are still named properly, but when I open up the sound options in the rom, they show up as long numbers.... like a ringtone called Groove is showing as 1626253535446353500005353. lol. Do you have any idea why that would happen?? I know its something to do with my files. I edited the sounds in cool edit, exported as .mp3 and then converted them to .ogg ....the strangest thing is some of them stay named properly and some of them turn into the long numbers??

that's the last thing I need to figure out in order to make this perfect. The sounds still play fine...its just kind of annoying that the names don't show up properly...

Android will use file names as a last resort. Instead, it reads the file's ID3 Tag (for mp3) or Vorbis Comments (for ogg). All my files has been properly tagged. I suspect your files have bad comments.

Download this free program, mp3tag. It is extremely useful, and not just for ringtones. Put all of your custom files in the same directory and open that directory with mp3tag... I'm pretty sure that despite your clean file names, the tags are all messed up.

As usual, keep me posted. And if you have any sound suggestions, I'm also all ears.

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
--
8th March 2014, 07:22 AM   |  #10  
Ariesdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saskatune
Thanks Meter: 350
 
393 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoniusMaximus

Yes, flash it on top of anything fresh or not fresh. Keep in mind this is a replacement package, which means it will delete all of your ringtones, alarms and notifications! It will replace them with what's included in the package. As I said above, if you wish to add any custom files, just open the zip and put anything you want (.ogg or .mp3 only) in the appropriate directories.



Android will use file names as a last resort. Instead, it reads the file's ID3 Tag (for mp3) or Vorbis Comments (for ogg). All my files has been properly tagged. I suspect your files have bad comments.

Download this free program, mp3tag. It is extremely useful, and not just for ringtones. Put all of your custom files in the same directory and open that directory with mp3tag... I'm pretty sure that despite your clean file names, the tags are all messed up.

As usual, keep me posted. And if you have any sound suggestions, I'm also all ears.

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
--

Hmmm...So what exactly do I have to do to tag them properly? Is it that part of the program where you stamp them? I tried renaming them and stamping them all and they are still showing up as huge numbers even though I removed the huge numbers and replaced them with the tone name? confused...lol...im brand new to these types of files....do I have to buy a tag?? I just don't understand how some of them are working and showing up fine and others aren't...when I edited them all in the same program and exported and converted them all the same way....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
audio sounds ringtones notifications alarms
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Android Themes by ThreadRank