XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][Wi-Fi Tether] WiFi Tether on Stock ROM

Tip us?

libbycm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Arrow [MOD][Wi-Fi Tether] WiFi Tether on Stock ROM

Having recently come from several moto phones where it was a 3 second fix with sql lite to enable wifi tethering, I figured it should be about as easy on my new Note... false.

Haven't seen anything related yet, so I found a way to get stock/native WiFi tethering working on the GNII, on the stock rom, without the use of any market apps. Based off other methods I saw for doing the same thing on the GSIII by modifying /system/framework/framework-res.apk to not call the entitlement check app when you fire up wifi tethering.

Directions:
  1. Be on stock ROM build JRO03C.I605VRALJB .. if you are not, it will likely hose your phone
  2. Be rooted..
  3. Backup /system/app/SPG.apk .. then delete it
  4. Backup [B]/system/framework/framework-res.apk[B] DO NOT DELETE IT!!
  5. Download modified framework-res.apk I have created, and copy to internal storage ( /sdcard )
  6. Run these commands with ADB:
    Code:
    adb shell
    shell@android:/ $ su
    shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk
  7. Phone will freeze/lockup/hangup because you just overwrote a open file.. so reboot it or pull battery to reset
  8. Profit

I don't do this stuff everyday, so I take no responsibility if you jack your phone up, but I did this on mine, and works great.. and best part is you can stay stock without messing with crappy WiFi tether apps out there. Also worth noting is any OTA's that come down wire and that are blindly applied will ruin your day as well, so before you apply any OTA, reverse the above directions to put the stock framework-res.apk file back so that everything works.

CREDITS:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to libbycm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbcdave
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I haven't read the whole thread, but just so everyone knows, I'm on beans 1 and widow tether works for me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

franklin270h
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcdave View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but just so everyone knows, I'm on beans 1 and widow tether works for me.

Beans has made the mod on his rom

This is the same mod, but can be applied to pretty much any stock deodexed rom

dalrym05
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin270h View Post
Beans has made the mod on his rom

This is the same mod, but can be applied to pretty much any stock deodexed rom
I have trie fatten hotspot toggle. Fail. Wireless tether. Fail. Built in factory tether starts and stuff connect but consta tly drops out 4g while in use so fail. Even tried ttreve mod from gs3 forum and fail. So what in beans build works? What are you using because I cant get any of them to work and not wanting to do this mod.
Verizon Note 2 root, unlock, CWM Touch, beans custom rom builds. Superior
Verizon GS 3 root, unlock, CWM Touch, beans custom rom builds. Excellent
HTC Incredible 2 CM10 basically mp3 player for the truck. .
Retired Droid X
HTC Incredible
2 samsung crappinates.
HTC Thunderbolt
Iphone3gs
View sonic g tablet

dcdgoth
Old
(Last edited by dcdgoth; 15th December 2012 at 09:54 PM.) Reason: misspell
Thanks Meter 96

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrym05 View Post
I have trie fatten hotspot toggle. Fail. Wireless tether. Fail. Built in factory tether starts and stuff connect but consta tly drops out 4g while in use so fail. Even tried ttreve mod from gs3 forum and fail. So what in beans build works? What are you using because I cant get any of them to work and not wanting to do this mod.
You don't really need this rom to use wifi tether. Just do what I say, and you'll be fine. Google search and download WifiTether_TrevE_Mod_11_22_2012.apk. After you download it, you need to change settings as following otherwise it won't work(rest of other settings are up to you)

Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Setup Method: Netd-NDC (master)
Send Netd Max Client Cmd: Check
Wifi-driver reload: Check
Wifi-driver reload 2: Check
Keep Alive - Connection Checking: Check
Routing fix: Check.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to dcdgoth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

porkandbeans
Old
(Last edited by porkandbeans; 17th December 2012 at 11:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbycm View Post
Directions:
  1. Be on stock ROM build JRO03C.I605VRALJB .. if you are not, it will likely hose your phone
  2. Be rooted..
  3. Backup /system/app/SPG.apk .. then delete it
  4. Backup [B]/system/framework/framework-res.apk[B] DO NOT DELETE IT!!
  5. Download modified framework-res.apk I have created, and copy to internal storage ( /sdcard )
  6. Run these commands with ADB:
    Code:
    adb shell
    shell@android:/ $ su
    shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk
  7. Phone will freeze/lockup/hangup because you just overwrote a open file.. so reboot it or pull battery to reset
  8. Profit
[/LIST]
I followed instructions, but when I do the second ADB commands, I get the error message: shell@android:/ $ su not found at first. I then after command 1, typed su. I then accepted superuser request on phone. I then copied text after the #, then pasted into adb. I did this for each line, then it worked. Thanks.

drtechy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdgoth View Post
You don't really need this rom to use wifi tether. Just do what I say, and you'll be fine. Google search and download WifiTether_TrevE_Mod_11_22_2012.apk. After you download it, you need to change settings as following otherwise it won't work(rest of other settings are up to you)

Yup been using this for a while now. I thought it would be cool to use the native app like the Moto guys do too, but it was much easier to just use the tether app with the right settings lol

SirVilhelm
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:

I've used is tethering app in the past and loved it. Where do you access these settings? Once I am in the app and go to the in app settings I don't see any of these.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Nevermind, found the problem.

Dugall12
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:

This worked perfectly, this has been the best tether method I've used. It doesn't drop signal like other methods I've tried. Thanks for this!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dugall12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mtrain
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:

Just tried this out and it seems this works great.

Tags
galaxy note 2, wifi tether