5,595,645 Members 44,222 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide / Tool][10/15/12] - Update to Official Jellybean Then Root or Custom ROM!

Tip us?

scrosler
Old
(Last edited by scrosler; 17th October 2012 at 03:50 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 47235

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up [Guide / Tool][10/15/12] - Update to Official Jellybean Then Root or Custom ROM!

I wrote this guide do to the general lack of information for users about the Jellybean update. This guide is basic in nature and will provide you with all the tools and links you need to update from an ICS based ROM to the official JB ROM then re-root or prepare for custom ROM.

If you already have the Official JB Update simply unlock it and proceed to Section #2. This guide was intially intended for those who cannot update because of Asus stupid lock out program once you unlock.

Warning
I have tested this guide on my device multiple times and never have one single issue. I cannot say it will work perfect for you! I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong including but not limited to; A $500 brick! The economy imploding worse, Nuclear war, End of the world on 12/12/12!

Pre-requisites
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Custom Recovery
  • Any version of TF700T
  • Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC

General Overview
  1. Flash Asus JB update
  2. Flash TWRP 2.2.3
  3. Flash SuperSU or Custom ROM
  4. Profit!

Please do not be afraid to ask for help!

This guide was written for people who need help. I didint write it for myself because I already know how to do it, lol

Quote:
Donations gratefully accepted but never expected!
Please hit Thanks and Rate the thread 5 Stars

-Scott
The Following 78 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
(Last edited by scrosler; 15th October 2012 at 12:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 47235

DONATE TO ME
Section 1 - Flash Asus JB update
  • Obtain the appropriate Jellybean update from the Asus Support Site HERE
  • Go to Downloads and pick the local / region specific update file for your device. For the intent of this guide I will focus on the US Based variant but all other devices will follow the exact same steps.
  • After you download the Jellybean update you must extract the zip file in the zip (I dont know why they did this!). The name of the first zip file will be "US_epad_user_10_4_4_16_UpdateLauncher.zip"
  • The zip file inside of that will be "US_epad-user-10.4.4.16.zip" This is the file we will flash to update to JB!
  • To do this open the first zip file with your zip [rogram of choice, (as you can see I use 7zip) and pull out the only other zip file in there (US_epad-user-10.4.4.16.zip).
  • Once you have that file copy it to you internal SD card. Although, untested, external SD should work too.
  • Now.... Reboot to recovery. To do this power down the device, and then Hold Volume Down and then press power untill you get a menu that says press XX key to boot to recvoery.
  • Once in recovery you MUST wipe data before you continue!
  • Now flash the ROM file you just copied like it was a plain old fashioned custom ROM or Root.zip. Just select it and flash!
  • Once the flash is done reboot. Dont be scared... This will take a LONG time... Maybe in upwards of 3 to 5 minutes. This is normal. Its completely rebuilding the device!
  • Once the device is all booted up and you are at your desktop we can proceed to Section 2.
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
(Last edited by scrosler; 7th December 2012 at 10:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 47235

DONATE TO ME
Section 2 - Flash TWRP 2.2.2.3
  • First we need to obtain TWRPREcovery. You are free to use any version you want, including ClockworkMod (although I highly discourage CWM and recomend TWRP).
  • You can find TWRP HERE. Remember I recommend the 2.2.2.3 version. 2.3.0.0 gave me some issues.
  • Now that you have the file download you need to rename it to "recovery.blob" for use with my tool!
  • Now download the attached tool and unzip it. It contains the fastboot and ADB files you will need to flash the recovery.
  • Next place the recovery.blob in the folder
  • Turn on USB Degging in the developer menu of the device. This is very important otherwise you will be just sitting there forever, lol
  • Now initiate the "Recovery Install Tool.bat" file. This will reboot you to bootloader and flash the recovery for you ;c)
  • Done!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Install Recovery.zip - [Click for QR Code] (348.3 KB, 6227 views)
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
Thanks Meter 47235

DONATE TO ME
Section 3 - Flash SuperSU or Custom ROM
Needless to say I am partial to custom ROMS ;c) But I know some may be content with just flashing root so I will show you how to obtain the correct root file and or ROM and give a brief over view on how to flash them. This section will be pretty routine and will not contain a lot of new info for most of you!
  • Obtain my favorite root app, SuperSU, from HERE
  • Copy to storage
  • Reboot to recovery
  • Flash and Be rooted!
  • Same steps for a custom ROM. The best Custom ROM can be found HERE! ;c)
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
Thanks Meter 47235

DONATE TO ME
Section 4 - Thanks!
  • Thanks to Dess_troy for making TWRP for our devices!
  • Thanks to Chainfire for the root app!
  • Thanks to all the Developers on XDA that have taught me (in one way or another) everything I know!
  • Special Thanks to all the CleanROM users who have inspired me to push CleanROM to be the premier custom ROM for your Android Device!
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
Thanks Meter 47235

DONATE TO ME
Please feel free to rebuild this for the Linux or Mac platform and re-distrubute!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BlastTyrantKM
Old
Thanks Meter 91
So, the very first step is unlocking the bootloader, correct?

Sent from my S2 Skyrocket using XDA app
The Following User Says Thank You to BlastTyrantKM For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eckka
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Pre-requisites
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Custom Recovery
  • Any version of TF700T

-Scott
A number of people have asked and I have usually replied that it is possible to use the Asus provided UnLock tool - the one on the website that says is only compatible with ICS - with a tablet that has been updated to JB.

In short the Unlock tool works in Jellybean!

You might want to add this as an addendum to your original post.

Cheers,

Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to eckka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dan.kels.r
Old
Thanks Meter 49
i apologize for my beligerant question but if i want to try the new cwm touch recovery, do i just rename it to recovery.blob? when i downloaded it it was the usual iso. when renamed it didnt change anything so i dont wanna brick my tab. figured id ask first. thanks for the awesome walk through tho man. i really apreciate it. loving your roms. have 2.0 downloaded already. also can you pm the link to your tf300 kernel you used? i need to show off some high quadrant numbers lol
Device:HTC One X|Tegra 3 Quadcore @ 1.5GHz |ULP GeForce @ 520MHz|
ROM: EndeavorX|3.17.401.2|Sense 4.5|Android 4.1.1
Kernel: XMisters #106 Hardcap, s2w, gaming rig
Recovery: TeamWin Recovery Project 4.1.10
HBOOT: 0.94.0000|***UNLOCKED***|ENDEAVORU PVT SHIP S-ON RL

BlastTyrantKM
Old
(Last edited by BlastTyrantKM; 15th October 2012 at 03:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 91
Default Confused...

How do I get a custom recovery on my tablet before this whole process? I've read thru some threads, do I need to be rooted first on ICS before starting this process of updating to JB? I'm not getting the official ASUS JB OTA...I've checked for the update about 500 times, I'm just not getting it.

At this point, I have an unlocked but unrooted, and wiped stock TF700T on ICS. Whats my next step?

The Following User Says Thank You to BlastTyrantKM For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]