screen protector. Yay or Nay?

Do you have a Screen protector installed?

• Yes, Can't go without one

Votes: 69 28.8%
  • No, I like my screen naked

Votes: 168 70.0%
  • Other like Crystalusion

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

jackie_jagger

Jul 23, 2010
Vancouver, CA
So I'm just wondering how is everyone using their tablets.

Screen protector or no or are you using an alternative method like crystalusion.

Pros of a naked screen:
  • Better screen display quality.
  • the true naked feel

Cons of no screen protector:
  • risk of scratches
  • constantly wiping fingerprints.

what is the community doing now, let's collect few response and try to put them in one place.

orellius

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary
Will be putting a Ghost Armor (screen only) on this week when it comes in, got a kiosk in Calgary to order it in.

tietherope

Aug 29, 2010
Toronto
I put the SGP screen protector on and I like it. I don't notice a drop in quality at all as it's not a matte protector. With that said fingerprints are just as bad as the naked screen.

www.spigen.com

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Naked :) But Crystalusion does sound very interesting...

Edit: It sounds really interesting actually :) I almost want to buy it and just put it all over my entire Nexus 10, but would it affect the grip-ability of the back too much?

Last edited:

daLareid

Nov 28, 2012

Edit: It sounds really interesting actually :) I almost want to buy it and just put it all over my entire Nexus 10, but would it affect the grip-ability of the back too much?

to be honest, i can't go on with an unprotected device, like yourself i just read about this crystalusion for the first time ever and it does sound pretty amazing, could anybody who's used this liquid glass please care to share their input about it please?

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
to be honest, i can't go on with an unprotected device, like yourself i just read about this crystalusion for the first time ever and it does sound pretty amazing, could anybody who's used this liquid glass please care to share their input about it please?
It seems to be about $21 to order it ($18 off ebay); seems like a 1-pack-1-device kind of thing though... (I have quite a few things I'd love to use it on, but can't really spend around $20 per device though)

I emailed the manufacturer of Crystalusion about my concern with the rubber back grip; hopefully they respond with something positive though :)

LowSky

Mar 24, 2011
Poughkeepsie
I've tried protectors before and they all seem to stink. They feel like rubber or take scratches poorly and dirt builds up around their edges.

My Galaxy S3 and my Asus TF201 never got a scratch. My TF201 did shatter but no screen protector was going to stop that.

daLareid

Nov 28, 2012
It seems to be about $21 to order it ($18 off ebay); seems like a 1-pack-1-device kind of thing though... (I have quite a few things I'd love to use it on, but can't really spend around $20 per device though)

I emailed the manufacturer of Crystalusion about my concern with the rubber back grip; hopefully they respond with something positive though :)

Try their website, 6.99£ + shipping
http://www.crystalusion.com/order.html
although I'm guessing shipping may be higher for us not in the UK.

jackie_jagger

Jul 23, 2010
Vancouver, CA
Will be putting a Ghost Armor (screen only) on this week when it comes in, got a kiosk in Calgary to order it in.

I've never been a fan of Ghost Armor - they've always been super rubbery in texture which is a huge turn off.

I put the SGP screen protector on and I like it. I don't notice a drop in quality at all as it's not a matte protector. With that said fingerprints are just as bad as the naked screen.

www.spigen.com

I've used SGP products before and heard good things about their screen protectors but they seem rather pricey.

to you both, here is this thread I found on xda about the same, maybe you'll get an idea of what people have felt after using it. This is apparently the US equivalent.

EDIT: I found it on sale at ncix Canada for about $15

one use per pack is indeed a bummer but then again so are all screen protectors.

Last edited:
Reactions: daLareid

daLareid

Nov 28, 2012
I've never been a fan of Ghost Armor - they've always been super rubbery in texture which is a huge turn off.

I've used SGP products before and heard good things about their screen protectors but they seem rather pricey.

to you both, here is this thread I found on xda about the same, maybe you'll get an idea of what people have felt after using it. This is apparently the US equivalent.

one use per pack is indeed a bummer but then again so are all screen protectors.

Thank for the heads up on the thread, after reading I feel less appealed to Crystalusion, best keep it simple with screen protectors.

nissmo66

Dec 8, 2012
naked...gorilla glass 2.

I will put a case on, but I'm not concerned about the glass. Having owned other gorilla glass products I've never had a scratch..

Kookas

Jun 27, 2012
Crystalusion sounds interesting, but I'll say it again that we need that self-healing stuff. Anyone have any idea about if/when we might see self-healing coatings?

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
Here's some questions I emailed to Crystalusion and the responses I got:

Q: My main concerns are how the liquid glass might affect the grip-ability of the Nexus 10 backing with it being rubber.
A: Even though it can be applied on the rubber and would not damage it in anyway. Crystalusion specifically has been designed to treat hard surfaces and therefore in your case would be better suited to protecting your screen. I say your case since it can be applied to the back of devices like the iphone etc...

Q: Another concern is how the liquid glass might affect speaker grills and the very tiny gaps between where the screen and sides meet, and for the buttons (volume and power). Ports are also a slight concern, and the bottom of the Nexus 10 also has an area for POGO pins.
A: We have solved this problem with our application method. Crystalusion comes in a pre-coated micro fibre cloth to specifically avoid the problem you are talking about. Even though the liquid itself wouldn't damage the inside parts of your device.

Q: Would the liquid glass prevent contact on the POGO pin area?
A: No this would not happen.

We have several customers who have applied Crystalusion to their tablets however I am not sure whether these have been Nexus 10s... Also just to let you know as a raw chemical Liquid Glass ranks higher in strength than guerilla glass does, and with Crystalusion specifically the main benefits being it is anti-bacterial as well as being an award winning nano-technology in addition to other features such as anti-abrasion.

telveer

Dec 10, 2008
My vote is nay. Get a good case. The screen is gorilla glass and pretty tough. If the case does not protect the screen, I doubt a screen protector will

- tv

jackie_jagger

Jul 23, 2010
Vancouver, CA
naked...gorilla glass 2.

I will put a case on, but I'm not concerned about the glass. Having owned other gorilla glass products I've never had a scratch..

fair enough. I went at least 6 months without a screen protector on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 until I got bugged of wiping finger prints. that was it.

Crystalusion sounds interesting, but I'll say it again that we need that self-healing stuff. Anyone have any idea about if/when we might see self-healing coatings?

soon.

Here's some questions I emailed to Crystalusion and the responses I got:

That is pretty interesting. Check my previous link for a similar product which guarantees the same but for 6 months while crystal does for 1 year.

My vote is nay. Get a good case. The screen is gorilla glass and pretty tough. If the case does not protect the screen, I doubt a screen protector will

- tv

fair enough. I wonder when will those smart cases come out.

beerope

Aug 6, 2012
How stupid can one be to not cut away the top right corner flap and use the original protector without hindering the experience?

Reactions: gmfeny

bonefan03

Jun 30, 2010
Although economical, the plastic screen that comes with the nexus 10 probably won't protect against scratches. But it could work if you're careful

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

Reactions: michaelearth

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

www.spigen.com

How stupid can one be to not cut away the top right corner flap and use the original protector without hindering the experience?
    Although economical, the plastic screen that comes with the nexus 10 probably won't protect against scratches. But it could work if you're careful

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium
    Naked. I've never, ever used a protector for any of my devices and the glass on them was/is like factory new. Even my Nexus S 4G which is in and out of pockets is flawless. I've always considered them a waste of money on modern glass and through six devices now I've yet to be proven wrong..

That is like saying "I've never had an accident in my life, so I will not buy car insurance."
    You can't plan to avoid an accident - someone else could smash into you!

I used to not bother with screen protectors as I changed devices frequently, till I scratched one of my screens. Scratches affect resale value, so depending on how and where I use which device, I may install a screen protector.

The screen that got scratched was Gorilla Glass. When I got my S3 which has GG2, I didn't install a screen protector. There is now a nice scratch on it. Same thing happened to a friend - deep scratches.

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/6259/20120715131719edit.jpg

But just like car accidents, it depends on how and where you use your device. If you only drive on quiet country roads at low speeds, insurance may be unnecessary. If you can avoid things like sand or diamond rings, both of which can scratch gorilla glass, a screen protector might be unnecessary. It's cheap insurance though.
    I'm certainly not one of the "most" you speak of. If my screen were to get a little scratch on it I doubt I would notice. To me it's like the clear covers that my mom put on the living room furniture. It protects the upholstery from damage but it also prevents one from appreciating the beauty and feel of the actual fabric. And then the springs and padding wear out or the style becomes outdated so you take off the plastic and you have a broken down piece of furniture that looks great for the thrift shop. Of course, plastic covered or not I wouldn't sit in it with tools sticking out of my pocket or with lots of dirt and grime on my clothes. I'd rather enjoy the beauty and color as the designer intended.

I'm not sure if furniture covers are really a legitimate comparison here :p

My screen cover is almost indistinguishable from the original surface. Pair this with the fact that the tablet lives in a case and the edges wouldn't be visible anyway (not that they are apparent or obvious otherwise) and the point is moot.

As far as the feel? I have found the surface to be slicker than before and easier to use because of the screen protector I chose. I use swype style inputs, so the comparison for me was like night and day. Without the cover, it was more effort to slide a finger around without encountering noticeable friction.

They may not be for everybody, but I think they are a pretty great way to protect an expensive device without any significant drawbacks.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app