View Poll Results: Do you have a Screen protector installed?
Yes, Can't go without one 69 28.75%
No, I like my screen naked 168 70.00%
Other like Crystalusion 3 1.25%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

screen protector. Yay or Nay?

OP jackie_jagger

11th February 2013, 12:25 PM   |  #71  
Flag England, UK
Thanks Meter: 9

23 posts
More
I wasn't going to get a screen protector for mine but it's never been naked because I still haven't removed the one that came pre-applied to it in the box. I've even cut off the little tab on the top-right so it looks & acts like a real screen protector. It was free & already applied so why remove it if you're just going to try and fit one yourself anyway? Crystalusion Liquid Glass does sound interesting though.
Last edited by Grimthorr; 11th February 2013 at 12:34 PM.
12th February 2013, 02:21 PM   |  #72  
Thanks Meter: 5

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimthorr

I wasn't going to get a screen protector for mine but it's never been naked because I still haven't removed the one that came pre-applied to it in the box. I've even cut off the little tab on the top-right so it looks & acts like a real screen protector. It was free & already applied so why remove it if you're just going to try and fit one yourself anyway? Crystalusion Liquid Glass does sound interesting though.

Have to agree; these liquid preparations do sound interesting. But I'd be willing to be that they're all some sort of siloxane derivative (aka Rain-X). And I'd also be willing to wager that Rain-X is way less expensive, particularly if you've already a bottle of it in your garage. I bet they'd also make life interesting if you applied one then decided to put a conventional protector on shortly after without buffing the liquid protector film off.

But here's my only other concern: if a piece of silica sand / hard metal / whatever comes at your screen, do we all _really_ believe that a few-nanometers-thick coating of siloxane is going to avoid a scratch??

These liquid-only screen protectors, I think, probably have some benefit as far as fingerprints go, but I highly doubt that any of them have one iota of strength against a true mechanical scratch.

Comments?
17th February 2013, 01:38 AM   |  #73  
Hells Kitchen, NYC
Thanks Meter: 55

379 posts
Re: screen protector. Yay or Nay?
You're totally correct. All RainX does is help keep fingerprints off. I'm not concerned with scratches. My fingertips are pretty smooth and I never subject it to a hard stare. I don't use my tablet anywhere there would be danger of physical harm.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium
17th February 2013, 04:40 AM   |  #74  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 121

624 posts
No point really. I use screen protectors on my phones because those go everywhere and in and out of pockets, bang on tables, friends handle them, occasionally goes in my gf's purse etc.

My tablet? Just goes into my micro fiber padded netbook bag so I don't need a screen protector.

Maybe if I had a 7 inch tablet.
17th February 2013, 10:20 PM   |  #75  
Thanks Meter: 5

19 posts
This weekend I installed a 3M Natural View screen protector on my 10. It's supposed to make fingerprints fade over time (big deal) but also promised a ”crystal clear” appearance in a dry-application film. That was the main selling point for me. It was also available at my local Staples, at a price well below the Zagg hanging next to it on the shelf.

Impressions-- actually, it's quite good! All the usual caveats apply with dust and such, so be prepared to deal with peeling back as you go to deal with bubbles. But the overall clarity is excellent. It's slightly draggy, but nothing close to the Zagg I have on my Rezound. It also covers both the front cam and the light sensor, and I've seen no ill effects from either.

All in all, better than a ”3-fer” cheapo protector. Worth a look see if you're dubious about a wet-app or a cheaper dry-app protector.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
20th February 2013, 05:38 PM   |  #76  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 9

192 posts
More
My N10 is naked because it never leaves my house and i have no kids.

My N4 is currently naked and i love the screen feeling. Had my SGS2 in a screen protector for a year and never noticed till I got my N4 how much I missed the naked feeling of a phone screen. Have a spigen on order and will be my last try. If I dont like it il just keep it naked and enjoy 100% of my phone till the next nexus is out.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
27th May 2013, 03:38 PM   |  #77  
Thanks Meter: 14

166 posts
Whatcha guys think about the Armorsuit shield protector?

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-Mili...bxgy_pc_text_z
27th May 2013, 03:53 PM   |  #78  
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
[QUOTE=abejoker;41892901]Whatcha guys think about the Armorsuit shield protector?

It's what i'm using now and it does a good job.It will get deformed a bit if you carry it in your back pocket or in a pocket with keys but it holds up well and is easy to install. I put the Ringbo ultimate clear on my s3 and it is a lot tougher but it's also a lot thicker. It's also harder to get on without dust or lint under it. It depends on which you prefer but i like the armorsuit the best. i was talking about my s4 in my pocket. i've also had it on my nexus since i got it and I love it on that.Best case i've used overall.
Last edited by badhabit_wb; 28th May 2013 at 12:34 AM.
27th May 2013, 06:04 PM   |  #79  
Hells Kitchen, NYC
Thanks Meter: 55

379 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abejoker

Whatcha guys think about the Armorsuit shield protector?

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-Mili...bxgy_pc_text_z

It looks as good as any and seems like a reasonable price but they all remind me of covering suede furniture with plastic. After the springs are all worn out and you have to replace the basic piece, it looks brand new but you have missed the comfort and feel the original and specifically designed material. I seems to be replacing my devices about every 2 years so why should I not just USE it. I protect my tablet with an i-Blson case.
27th May 2013, 06:07 PM   |  #80  
Thanks Meter: 14

166 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryp7

It looks as good as any and seems like a reasonable price but they all remind me of covering suede furniture with plastic. After the springs are all worn out and you have to replace the basic piece, it looks brand new but you have missed the comfort and feel the original and specifically designed material. I seems to be replacing my devices about every 2 years so why should I not just USE it. I protect my tablet with an i-Blson case.

So basically it is better to have a case and no screen protector for you? Seems reasonable.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread