If your phone is new, or not at the current ZVC, update it to ZVC before rooting!
UPDATING TO ZVB and ZVC - Walkthru style: To do the ota. (I left mine ROOTED, FreeGee installed and NOT installed, usb debugging was on, unknown sources was checked, and totally stock)
1. Accept the update.
2a If FreeGee is installed, run Freegee "Restore"
3. Settings>System Updates>Update Profile, then Update LG Software,
4. Root with fiddy619 Universal
__________________________________________________ ______________ ZVC will allow you to update through TWRP now. You will lose root and unlock and will have to re-root, re-unlock again. You also need a mostly stock ROM
Accept the ZVC update, and your phone will reboot you into TWRP and apply the update.
__________________________________________________ ______________ If you just need/want to update via ZV9 to ZVB/JB and ZVB to ZVC through the update.zip.
You must have a completely stock ZV9 or ZVB. Totally stock.
If you downgraded from ZVB to ZV9 heres some needed info:
If you're stuck at the 4glte screen: To get to stock recovery - Power off phone. You need to hold power button for about 20 sec to get it to turn off. Then press and hold vol down+power - The LG logo will come on, then the capacitive lights. Immediatly let go when the capacitive lights turn on.
It takes a few seconds to work. Data wipe/Factory reset. Reboot.
And if you happen to reboot into Stock recovery after this upgrade? Use the "menu" button on the led lights (far right when holding it) to get it to accept your commands. power button won't work.
ROOT - fiddy619 has made a Root for ALL versions. And it's for Windows and Linux. Here is the thread and downloads.http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post38886073
__________________________________________________ _____________________________ There is also a way to Root/Unlock without a computer. - Do it all on your phone.
Download Framaroot.apk and install on phone. Select SuperSU/Gandolf for Root. Download FreeGee from the Playstore to unlock the bootloader. This isn't for running a factory Rom Long-term. Use fiddy619 Universal. If you're going to be flashing other Rom's, it'll be fine. If this doesn't make sense, then read the Framaroot thread again.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________ Mac/Apple info - Sorry but not a lot of info.
Maybe a VM? Sorry, not an Apple fan
About your only option is to use Framaroot and FreeGee on your phone.
TO UNLOCK ALL BOOTLOADERS
1.Download FreeGee from the Playstore - It pretty much walks you through the Unlock process now.
FreeGee info: BACKUP YOUR EFS!!!
1. Select the "mako" unlock - if you choose "Classic" there is a potential for a softbrick. FreeGee will tell you this. The difference between Classic and mako -
"Classic" will still have the LG boot logo. The unlock may work just fine, but eventually you will be needing the mako unlock. Also you have to navigate recovery blind.
"Mako" has the Google logo on the boot screen. The recovery has a menu. No blind navigating. Recoveries Options.
The recoveries offered in FreeGee are TWRP and CWM. - These versions are REQUIRED to flash KK Rom's The advantages/ Disadvantages: TWRP 2.6.3.? Has bricked a couple phones, but VERY, VERY rarely. Most of us still use it. CWM isn't as backwards compatible with some of the older ROM's. YMMV and Pre 4.4
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing a backup in either CWM or TWRP.
Also save a copy of the FreeGee,TWRP, and EFS_BACKUPS folders to your computer, just in case your SD gets wiped. EFS_BACKUPS will only show up if you flash a CM ROM, or use autoprime's, Backup EFS, or Create flashable EFS .zip
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You should now be Rooted and Unlocked. Now go have some fun.
The most current file is ZVC
__________________________________________________ __________________________________ Using LGNPST to Root/Unlock using ZVC.bin
If you want to start fresh.
Hopefully you will still have TWRP installed. If not, Stock recovery will wipe EVERYTHING!!! I learned this the hard way. Wipes:
In twrp 18.104.22.168, Factory reset. You can also click "Advanced" and check all 4. /system, /dalvik, /cache, /data. It will not wipe SD. (If you wiped /system you'll be warned about powering off. It's OK. Say no to root. Then power off.
Another option we have instead of the huge .bin files is to use Teeny bins located here.http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40169203
You can also use this to install recoveryTWRP 22.214.171.124, then flash a ROM from it. This is the Pre-KK version. You will need to flash the updated versions for KK Rom's
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________ Some troubleshooting ideas:
1.You may have to run as admin/not as admin. So try both if you have problems.
2. Make sure to use USB 2.0 ports. NOT 3.0
3.Try a different USB port on your computer
4.Try a different USB cable
5.Some people may need to use the older LG drivers...see above for links to them. Make sure you reboot after installing drivers
6.If you're stuck at the 4glte screen: To get to stock recovery - Power off phone. You need to hold power button for about 20 sec to get it to turn off. Then press and hold vol down+power - The LG logo will come on, then the capacitive lights. Immediatly let go when the capacitive lights turn on.
It takes a few seconds to work. Data wipe/Factory reset. Reboot.
Our LGOG's, for what ever reason, seem to be finicky. Even if you follow all the steps to the letter, things still might not workout. If that's the case, you just may have to use LGNPST. LG's version of Samsungs Odin. Just an FYI
A flashable zip to Zero and Restore your EFS partitions is here. Thanks autoprime!http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38348745
These are the partitions where your phone stores all the info for 3g,4g calls,etc to work
OLDER ROOT/Unlock Methods for ZV7, ZV8, ZV9, and ZVB
1. Unzip the zip file
2. Make sure USB Debugging is on, and your are in Charge only Mode
3. Run the CurrentRoot.bat, wait for the prompt.
4. Change to MTP Mode
5. Just ignore when your computer asks how to view files on your device.
6. Press enter in the CMD prompt to continue.
ZV7, ZV8. ROOT ONLY.
1. Let phone update to zv8
2. Download Bin4ry v18 - he doesn't want it mirrored so get it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
3. Unzip it
4. Plug your phone into your computer - You should already have the LG Drivers installed.
5. It should automatically select Charge only. If not, select it
6. Open bin4ry v18 file
7. Double click RunMe
8. Select 1 - run normal - you shouldn't have to run as admin
9. It'll ask for a password - ignore it and hit the "RESTORE" button
10. Phone will reboot a couple times then be running
11. Check to see if SuperSU installed in the app drawer
12. Download "Root Checker" from Playstore - select "Grant" when su pops up. It should say "Congratulations"
13. Reboot phone
14. Run Root Checker again - it should run normal - no message (or a very fast message) about phone running slow
15. If Root Checker still runs slow, redo the above. I think Bin4ry fixed this in this version though
You now have ROOT- if you want to UNLOCK the bootloader.
Old recovery info/walkthru
- Walkthru Style
1.Download "FreeGee" from the Playstore - Pay the $1. Support our Devs!!!
2. Open FreeGee, select "Utilities","Backup/Restore EFS." - This backsup 3G,4G,Cell info, partition. If this gets lost..."Hello paperweight"
3. Then select "Unlock My Optimus G." I would suggest selecting TWRP 126.96.36.199 for your recovery. It's the most current, fully functional one. It's also the one in teeny bins. CMW has issues with backup/restore, also very few Devs use it for us so it might not work.
**There is now a warning screen about sbl and that it could brick your device. Select "Agree".
**If this option scares you, then you'll need to use "teeny bins" and LGNPST - see below
9-17-13 If your phone softbricks, use the sbl unlock built into FreeGee - Capacitive menu -> sbl unlock. Follow the directions. This is becoming the preferred way to unlock your phone. teeny bins unlock this way. It's just delivered differently.
11-21-13 The best way anymore is to just use the SBL Unlock in FreeGee menu, or teeny bin SBL unlock bin. You can try the regular way, but you may end up having to work your way back from a softbrick. (I know now.)
4. Select "Grant" when SuperSU pops up
5. Select "YAY" when its done
6. Power off your phone
7. Hold vol up + power until lg logo shows up - Fastboot should show "Unlocked" on the last line
8. Press vol down 2 times, then power
9. TWRP should show up - or CWM if that was your choice
10. At this point, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing a backup in either CWM or TWRP.
11.Also save a copy of the FreeGee,TWRP, and EFS_BACKUPS folders to your computer, just in case your SD gets wiped. EFS_BACKUPS will only show up if you flash a CM ROM, or use autoprime's, Backup EFS, or Create flashable EFS .zip
12. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You should now be Rooted and Unlocked. Now go have some fun.
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?