XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Hack] Kindle Guide for Transformation to Android Tablet

Tip us?

ng1and
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsmaniatico View Post
This is an easy thing to fix. Go to system/app and cut move kindleforoter apk to another folder, and reboot your kindle fire 2 and install kindle app from the the Play Store. Have fun and Enjoy your reading
Thanks dcsmaniatico, it worked

fastvan67
Old
(Last edited by fastvan67; 22nd December 2012 at 03:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
I have installed the Kindle HD drivers, I downloaded QemuRoot, Root_With_Restore, adt bundle and also found Google USB Drivers.

Running WinXP Pro SP3 on my PC

After installing the drivers, my computer recognizes the Kindle like it should. I then tried QemuRoot and then tried Root_With_Restore. See below the screen shots of what I got for this attempt. I then tried to install adt bundle. I clicked the SDK Manager and all I get is a flash on the screen then nothing.
Yes I Enabled ADB and even tried the "Allow installation of applications" under the Device tab. Still nothing. What else should i try?

kaymado
Old
(Last edited by kaymado; 22nd December 2012 at 04:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
This is an easy thing to fix. Go to system/app and cut move kindleforoter apk to another folder, and reboot your kindle fire 2 and install kindle app from the the Play Store. Have fun and Enjoy your reading
I'm not sure why would you install kindle reader, when you have a kindle! but
I'm using ADW and I use Amazon home icon to load stock launcher. I can also go directly to my Amazon Docs (my own ebooks). No need for Amazon kindle app...

By the way blackle works great as default search. Still trying to get voice search to work.

Sent from my KFOT using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvan67 View Post
I have installed the Kindle HD drivers, I downloaded QemuRoot, Root_With_Restore, adt bundle and also found Google USB Drivers.

After installing the drivers, my computer recognizes the Kindle like it should. I then tried QemuRoot and then tried Root_With_Restore. See below the screen shots of what I got for this attempt. I then tried to install adt bundle. I clicked the SDK Manager and all I get is a flash on the screen then nothing.
Yes I Enabled ADB and even tried the "Allow installation of applications" under the Device tab. Still nothing. What else should i try?

Do it the other way around, like it says on guide.

First root with restore, and the qemu

# HTC One S S4 with ViperOneS 1.2.1 Rom
# Kindle Fire 2 Rooted + launcher of my choice + no amazon lock screen

Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
Buddha

fastvan67
Old
(Last edited by fastvan67; 22nd December 2012 at 03:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymado View Post
I'm using apex and I use Amazon home icon to load stock launcher. I can also go directly to my ebooks. No need for Amazon kindle app...

By the way blackle works great as default search.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Do it the other way around, like it says on guide.

First root with restore, and the qemu

Sorry, lol.. Trying again

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Ok.. Tried again. Restore and Root. Still no change.. The pic you see is what I have on the screen again.

kaymado
Old
(Last edited by kaymado; 22nd December 2012 at 04:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Sorry, lol.. Trying again

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Ok.. Tried again. Restore and Root. Still no change.. The pic you see is what I have on the screen again.
looks like its your adt installation. have you tried running the sdk as administrator?
if adt (adb) is not working, it will not reboot when using the qemu or root with restore.

You can try kindle fire utility (for kindle HD) - i did that first. The root option there doesnt really work like qemu, but you can try that first.
At least tells you there if your ADB is running.

i'm pretty sure thats what you're missing there... if you are sure its working, then you might need to restart the kindle. sometimes helps!

Buddha

fastvan67
Old
Thanks Meter 2
How do I install adt? I am supposed to click SDK Manager, right? If so, all I got was a flash on the screen then nothing.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Ok.. Got something going on.. Now this is the screen I get with Root with Restore. So far, its just been sitting there for about 20 min doing nothing..

kaymado
Old
(Last edited by kaymado; 22nd December 2012 at 05:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
How do I install adt? I am supposed to click SDK Manager, right? If so, all I got was a flash on the screen then nothing.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Ok.. Got something going on.. Now this is the screen I get with Root with Restore. So far, its just been sitting there for about 20 min doing nothing..

dude, it takes persistence. That program only worked the second time i tried it! always try restarting the app at least 3 times if stuck, or restart kindle and try again.
But it definitely should not take that long. If nothing happens for 2 or 3 mins, retry!

Buddha

fastvan67
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Ok.. After a couple more attempts of rebooting the kindle and rerunning Root with Restore, now I have the following screen.

I have reinstalled the drivers, reboot my computer and rebooted the kindle yet again. Still nothing..
I'm lost.. going to work now.. Back tonight

neutopian
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I have a question..has anyone rooted after 10.2.3 managed to get Gmail working?

It used to work for me when I had 10.2.1 rooted, but now it crashes on start..

dre22era
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
This is weird root should not do that to your kindle....try to factory restore your kindle and try to log in. I will be checking every few hours for your feedback so your brother can have a wonderfull Christmas gift
Thanks for the reply
I did a factory reset and still got the same error. "Your Kindle was not registered due to a server error"
I also did a new registration under a different email address and still received the same error.

Before I rooted it
right when i took it out the box and connected it to my home internet it automatically updated to 10.2.4

Tags
android ui, google apps, hack