Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

WiFi Direct Android device (Note 10.1) + Windows 7 computer.

OP nasedo73

19th December 2012, 01:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag London (UK)
Thanks Meter: 3

33 posts
More
I was searching for a quite long time, but I haven't found any satisfying answer. I want to send files between any device with WiFi Direct and computer. What I'm expecting?

For example - if I have two Note 10.1 - I can send / receive files without any wireless network - just between those devices.

I want to be able to send files between tablet and computer without using any network, any router. I don't want those devices to be connected into the same network. I want to send those files directly from device to device.

If I will need special WiFi card - please give me some hint.

If my expectation haven't been clearly explained - I will try once more.
The Following User Says Thank You to nasedo73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2012, 02:01 PM   |  #2  
In a Galaxy far, far away!
Thanks Meter: 317

934 posts
More
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you should check out 'WiFi File Explorer' in the Play Store. It sets up an IP address that you can access with any browser (Windows 7 computer or another tablet) and access your files. I do believe you have to have root, but I've used it with my GSIII and my computer and it works great for transfering files, managing files and deleting or renaming files/folders. fwiw

NVM, I just tried this with my note and you do have to be on a wireless network for this to work, sorry, not what you were looking for I guess.
Last edited by RTBee; 19th December 2012 at 02:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RTBee For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2012, 02:28 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 103

725 posts
WIDI has not been properly implemented yet in both android and hardware yet, some devices are certified but some are on older versions and there is no software out there yet to take advantage of it. (that I am aware of ).

Samsung have partially implemented it using allshare and allshare cast, neither will do what you want. I dont think this will be working properly until the Galaxy S4 or even 5.
19th December 2012, 04:04 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Currently Reverse Engineering 42
Thanks Meter: 834

5,680 posts
Donate to Me
More
hmm in theory its supported in android 4.x

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...y/wifip2p.html

have you tried this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fidirect&hl=en
The Following User Says Thank You to fards For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2012, 06:49 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag London (UK)

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fards

have you tried this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fidirect&hl=en

It's not exactly what I meant. I would like to know, if is there any possibility using WiFi Direct connect android device (with WiFi Direct Support) and Windows PC. If it's possible - what are the requirements?
20th December 2012, 11:10 AM   |  #6  

725 posts
i'm confused now, why would you want widi on a pc, surely you are always going to have a router to connect to and thus defeating the object.
20th December 2012, 12:04 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag London (UK)

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by da.trute

i'm confused now, why would you want widi on a pc, surely you are always going to have a router to connect to and thus defeating the object.

Let's try imagine something. I have WiFi / Router in my house. But, not everywhere I have an access to WiFi network, and maybe someone don't want to give me an access to network, or I don't need this as it's not really necessary. Sometimes I could meet someone with computer and I would like to send something faster than via Bluetooth, faster than removing memory card and trying to put into someone's computer. Will you notice how complicated it could be?

Now I have decided to buy device with WiFi Direct and I would like to use it with different devices. I don't want to use WiFi / Wireless netowrks / using router, because I could do this years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to nasedo73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2012, 03:36 PM   |  #8  

725 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasedo73

Let's try imagine something. I have WiFi / Router in my house. But, not everywhere I have an access to WiFi network, and maybe someone don't want to give me an access to network, or I don't need this as it's not really necessary. Sometimes I could meet someone with computer and I would like to send something faster than via Bluetooth, faster than removing memory card and trying to put into someone's computer. Will you notice how complicated it could be?

Now I have decided to buy device with WiFi Direct and I would like to use it with different devices. I don't want to use WiFi / Wireless netowrks / using router, because I could do this years ago.

If you want to send files from device (a) to Device (b), either both need to be WIDI compatible or both need to be connected to the same wifi network, I cant see your problem really, this isn't rocket science mate.
20th December 2012, 08:54 PM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag London (UK)

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by da.trute

(...) both need to be WIDI compatible or both need to be connected to the same wifi network

It suppose to be simple. Not same WiFi network, just WiFi Direct compatibility. Question is, what to do, what to use, to make computer with Windows 7 make compatible with WiFi Direct.
20th December 2012, 08:59 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Currently Reverse Engineering 42
Thanks Meter: 834

5,680 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasedo73

It's not exactly what I meant. I would like to know, if is there any possibility using WiFi Direct connect android device (with WiFi Direct Support) and Windows PC. If it's possible - what are the requirements?

From what you described it's exactly what you said, using wifip2p to transfer files between 2 adhoc devices.
The libraries do just that on the android side of things,

If you want something else then I'm sorry but you need to be a bit clearer.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
file transfer, note 10.1, wifi direct, windows 7
Previous Thread Next Thread