Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,663 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Direct Android device (Note 10.1) + Windows 7 computer.

Tip us?
 
nasedo73
Old
#1  
nasedo73's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London (UK)
Default WiFi Direct Android device (Note 10.1) + Windows 7 computer.

I was searching for a quite long time, but I haven't found any satisfying answer. I want to send files between any device with WiFi Direct and computer. What I'm expecting?

For example - if I have two Note 10.1 - I can send / receive files without any wireless network - just between those devices.

I want to be able to send files between tablet and computer without using any network, any router. I don't want those devices to be connected into the same network. I want to send those files directly from device to device.

If I will need special WiFi card - please give me some hint.

If my expectation haven't been clearly explained - I will try once more.
Phones: Nexus 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire, Nokia Omnia 710, Samsung Wave II
Tablets: iPad (oldest one), Acer ICONIA Tab W500, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-8010
The Following User Says Thank You to nasedo73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RTBee
Old
(Last edited by RTBee; 19th December 2012 at 01:06 PM.)
#2  
RTBee's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 317
Posts: 933
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a Galaxy far, far away!
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you should check out 'WiFi File Explorer' in the Play Store. It sets up an IP address that you can access with any browser (Windows 7 computer or another tablet) and access your files. I do believe you have to have root, but I've used it with my GSIII and my computer and it works great for transfering files, managing files and deleting or renaming files/folders. fwiw

NVM, I just tried this with my note and you do have to be on a wireless network for this to work, sorry, not what you were looking for I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to RTBee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
da.trute
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 99
Posts: 711
Join Date: Jul 2011
WIDI has not been properly implemented yet in both android and hardware yet, some devices are certified but some are on older versions and there is no software out there yet to take advantage of it. (that I am aware of ).

Samsung have partially implemented it using allshare and allshare cast, neither will do what you want. I dont think this will be working properly until the Galaxy S4 or even 5.
 
fards
Old
#4  
fards's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 754
Posts: 5,526
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Currently Reverse Engineering 42

 
DONATE TO ME
hmm in theory its supported in android 4.x

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...y/wifip2p.html

have you tried this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fidirect&hl=en
Quote:
That phones too big!
why?
have you never held anything bigger than 4" in your hand?



Racing and building Human Powered Vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to fards For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nasedo73
Old
#5  
nasedo73's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fards View Post
It's not exactly what I meant. I would like to know, if is there any possibility using WiFi Direct connect android device (with WiFi Direct Support) and Windows PC. If it's possible - what are the requirements?
Phones: Nexus 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire, Nokia Omnia 710, Samsung Wave II
Tablets: iPad (oldest one), Acer ICONIA Tab W500, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-8010
 
da.trute
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 99
Posts: 711
Join Date: Jul 2011
i'm confused now, why would you want widi on a pc, surely you are always going to have a router to connect to and thus defeating the object.
 
nasedo73
Old
#7  
nasedo73's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da.trute View Post
i'm confused now, why would you want widi on a pc, surely you are always going to have a router to connect to and thus defeating the object.
Let's try imagine something. I have WiFi / Router in my house. But, not everywhere I have an access to WiFi network, and maybe someone don't want to give me an access to network, or I don't need this as it's not really necessary. Sometimes I could meet someone with computer and I would like to send something faster than via Bluetooth, faster than removing memory card and trying to put into someone's computer. Will you notice how complicated it could be?

Now I have decided to buy device with WiFi Direct and I would like to use it with different devices. I don't want to use WiFi / Wireless netowrks / using router, because I could do this years ago.
Phones: Nexus 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire, Nokia Omnia 710, Samsung Wave II
Tablets: iPad (oldest one), Acer ICONIA Tab W500, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-8010
The Following User Says Thank You to nasedo73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
da.trute
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 99
Posts: 711
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasedo73 View Post
Let's try imagine something. I have WiFi / Router in my house. But, not everywhere I have an access to WiFi network, and maybe someone don't want to give me an access to network, or I don't need this as it's not really necessary. Sometimes I could meet someone with computer and I would like to send something faster than via Bluetooth, faster than removing memory card and trying to put into someone's computer. Will you notice how complicated it could be?

Now I have decided to buy device with WiFi Direct and I would like to use it with different devices. I don't want to use WiFi / Wireless netowrks / using router, because I could do this years ago.
If you want to send files from device (a) to Device (b), either both need to be WIDI compatible or both need to be connected to the same wifi network, I cant see your problem really, this isn't rocket science mate.
 
nasedo73
Old
#9  
nasedo73's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da.trute View Post
(...) both need to be WIDI compatible or both need to be connected to the same wifi network
It suppose to be simple. Not same WiFi network, just WiFi Direct compatibility. Question is, what to do, what to use, to make computer with Windows 7 make compatible with WiFi Direct.
Phones: Nexus 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire, Nokia Omnia 710, Samsung Wave II
Tablets: iPad (oldest one), Acer ICONIA Tab W500, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-8010
 
fards
Old
#10  
fards's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 754
Posts: 5,526
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Currently Reverse Engineering 42

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasedo73 View Post
It's not exactly what I meant. I would like to know, if is there any possibility using WiFi Direct connect android device (with WiFi Direct Support) and Windows PC. If it's possible - what are the requirements?
From what you described it's exactly what you said, using wifip2p to transfer files between 2 adhoc devices.
The libraries do just that on the android side of things,

If you want something else then I'm sorry but you need to be a bit clearer.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
That phones too big!
why?
have you never held anything bigger than 4" in your hand?



Racing and building Human Powered Vehicles.

Tags
file transfer, note 10.1, wifi direct, windows 7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes