[APP][UPDATE 8/31/13] KeepScreen v4.0 keep your device awake per active app

OP elesbb

19th December 2012, 05:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,412

6,854 posts
Donate to Me
More
First and foremost i want to give ALL CREDIT to the original developer of this amazing app. KeepScreen is developed by AxDroid LLC and hosted for free on the play store.

It has been forever since they last updated it and they were not responding to my emails. Their website also returns with an error so i am not sure if the company is no longer in business or if they just abandoned the app. (Its ashame honestly i love this app)

But there were a few quirks with the app. For instance, the app had to be manually started every single time you rebooted your phone.

Secondly i read people experienced the app would just stop working.. (I havent experienced this at all yet) But im guessing its due to android cleaning things up to free RAM.

Well i took it on myself and i was able to fix the first issue. After first launching the app and selecting the applications you wish to always have the screen stay on, and then launching the service, after a reboot the app will start again and you dont have to manually start the service.

The second issue i am currently trying to solve by placing a constant notification in the status bar. That is the only way to keep android from cleaning and killing processes.

The app is truly amazing, i have the Galaxy S3 and it has that "Smart stay" thinger where if you are looking at the screen the phone will stay on, well when im watching TV and i look up from my phone for a single second, they screen shuts off. I hate that, so i actually just use KeepScreen, set what apps i wish to always stay on, and then they stay on so long as that app is open and displayed on the screen.

UPDATE: 1/9/13

Updated to include a notification that is ongoing and "invisible" in the status bar. This ENSURES 100% that the service WILL NOT be closed by android or anything else. I have been using this version for awhile and love it cause it just simply works.

A little note: The "on going notification" is hard coded. Meaning, there is NO way for the user to disable it. If you dont want an ongoing notification, install the previous version. I made it obvious as to which version has the notification.....

UPDATE: 5/6/13

VERSION 3.0.0

- New auto restart. If the app dies, it will auto restart itself. If you are in an app which you have set to "Lock" the screen on, and the app dies, it MAY still shut off. I am working on a way to detect if the app died while locked and then restart holding a lock as well.

- New notification method. If you are running JB 4.1 or higher, you will NOT have an icon on the status bar all the time. However, if you are on ICS or lower, you will. This is probably the best version to ensure the app never dies.

However, if using the auto restart app. It shouldnt die so long as its holding a lock. Though, there is always the possibility of it dying.

If i had source code i could make this flawless. So i am trying my best! Thanks guys!

UPDATE: 5/24/13
BETA v1

COMPLETELY REDONE!!!! I COMPLETELY REWROTE THE SERVICE!!! IT IS PRETTY MUCH FLAWLESS NOW! Please donate
I still have some code optimizing and cleaning up to do, so thats why its "beta"
Also, cannot "stop" service. Cannot use notification method YET will be corrected.

UPDATE: 8/31/13
KeepScreen v4.0

- Optimized keep awake method. No longer using wake lock (should be more reliable)
- Re-enabled notification icon for when the lock is active
- Removed luminosity as it does nothing
- Thanks guys prolly will be the last update

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DONATE THANKS!

A BIG THANKS TO theos0o
for finding my derp mistakes. He is an amazing smali editor and taught me something new about smali code and found my mistake of just not paying attention. So thank you theos0o I greatly appreciate it!

Just download and install using a file browser.
Last edited by elesbb; 1st September 2013 at 03:37 AM.
The Following 71 Users Say Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2012, 04:00 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 628

1,236 posts
More
Very Cool ..
Thanks for the update
The Following User Says Thank You to WarlockW For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2012, 07:57 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 716

1,167 posts
Donate to Me
Cool, thanx for updating this little gem!
I used it but it wasn´t working more for me with ICS 4.0.3, so i switched to another app, but always liked the option to have the screen go a bit darker and not stay with full brightness.

Havent looked at your improved app but could you make the constant notification tick/untickable? I never experienced that the app stopped working, so i wouldn´t need this and i hate to have any icons in the notification bar
The autostart option is VERY nice to have!

EDIT:
Just installed and saw there is already an option for the notification icon, great!
Working very nice so far, will monitor it and give you some feedback during the next days.

Thanx again, really nice to see this app is liked by other people as well.
Last edited by adl; 20th December 2012 at 08:12 PM.
21st December 2012, 04:51 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

111 posts
Just wanted to say thanks for sharing that app....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
21st December 2012, 06:04 AM   |  #5  
Flag Broooooooooklyn
Thanks Meter: 66

448 posts
More
Terrific job, screen on was good, but very laggy, now I have a nice clean interface and it works great

Low on mb as well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
23rd December 2012, 06:29 PM   |  #6  
Flag Birtley, Tyne and Wear
Thanks Meter: 52

237 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ah god, I missed this app soooo much!

I shall donate in a few weeks for a beer for you.
23rd December 2012, 06:41 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,412

6,854 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu|

Ah god, I missed this app soooo much!

I shall donate in a few weeks for a beer for you.

It's not my work! I just updated it! Just slap me a thanks! that's well enough! Also, I don't drink :P

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd December 2012, 07:44 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

25 posts
More
Thanx for updating.
23rd December 2012, 08:05 PM   |  #9  
Orlando
Thanks Meter: 16

76 posts
Good stuff

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G...Go Canes []_[]
The Following User Says Thank You to Moon83 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd December 2012, 08:29 PM   |  #10  
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 5

46 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon83

Good stuff

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G...Go Canes []_[]

This sounds like a great app that could be well used on certain apps that you want the screen to stay on, well done to both developers, now I am wondering as a noob and still on a learning curve, will this app work on a Galaxy GT-S5830i rooted device and what would be the best way to install.
It would be great to get some advice on this.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread