[Firmware] Recovery from a corrupted/missflahed bootloader.

Search This thread

p34c3m4k3r

Jan 20, 2012
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
First of all, ALL THE CREDITS go to CellZealot from TeamBlackHat ! :cowboy:

This was only possible with the files that he provided!

I was just a simple "guinea pig" that killed a Razr testing theories about downgrading it back to Gingerbread ! :angel:

So lets, f.... do it.

<Warning> By continuing to read and deciding to start this procedure, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN! I, CellZealot, TeamBlackHat & XDA-Developers WILL NOT be held responsible for any personal or material damage that might incur from the actions described here! That's your decision to go on, so deal with it! YOU ARE WARNED! <Warning>

Requirements:

- Stock ICS SBF fastboot firmware package. Google is your friend.

- a PC x86 computer with a usb port

- Linux operating system. (Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, Debian, whatever distro you choose...)

- Linux O.S. knowledge. You must be familiar with the command prompt (Bash Shell) and the commands! That's up to you.

- This software package -> http://www.multiupload.nl/VL33M4I4A3

- The "fastboot" program from the Android SDK (latest version that you can find.)

- a software bricked Razr, that only shows itself as a "OMAP4430" device, under Win. "Device Manager", when plugged. Give it a try under a Windows computer, just to make sure.

- MicroUSB to USB cable. The one that came with your Razr.

- The Razr must be charge to the minimum required the bootloader to enable the flashing process. There are other ways to charge your phone without the stock charger. You can search here on XDA for it.
PS: The factory service cable, allows you to bypass the battery check, by allowing the Razr to receive 5v straight from the usb port. As per CellZealot explanation on third post.

Optional but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !

- a Motorola Factory/Service Cable. You can build your own or buy one! I recommend buying from "TeamBlackHat" as they make high quality cables and adapters! If you prefer, you can just buy the adapter and use your own MicroUSB cable with it.

About the expected end result: your Razr in FastBoot mode, ready to be flashed with a stock firmware.

<Procedure>

- download the package "spyder_bl.7z" and unpack to a empty directory to avoid any confusion.

- you will end up with 3 files - "omapflash-lnx", "pbrdl.bin" & "brdl.bin"

- make the "omapflash-lnx" file executable

- plug the phone to pc and press the power button for 2 seconds, till it apears as a "Texas Instruments" device under the usb list (lsusb) or in the kernel log.

Now you must be quick and start typing in this order:

sudo ./omapflash-lnx pbrdl.bin
sudo ./fastboot flash brdl brdl.bin

You should get a "Okay" status on both of them.

Check your Razr screen and it shall be on "FastBoot AP Mode". From here, you can keep flashing on Linux or boot up Windows and use RSD, wich is more user friendly besides being GUI-Oriented.

Some facts about the 3 files: they are all "signed files" by Motorola, that's why it is safe to use. The OMAP4430 cpu on the Razr is factory programmed to only execute signed code, that's why we needed to find an exploit to execute unsigned code. Examples are the KExec, Boot Manager & Safestrat. All of them available here on XDA in their respective threads.

Peace.

:good:

PS: Do not thank me or my posts. This guide was only possible due to CellZealot support. You must thank him, if for some reason it helped you recover your phone. Copy that?

PS: Thanks also XDA-Developers for this amazing community!

EDIT: Corrected the part about the Factory Service Cable. It does not allow you to charge the Razr but rather supply the necessary juice for the phone to work without a minimum charge. Thanks again, CellZealot!!!

Last edited:

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you for the excellent writeup and for the recommendations for TBH Factory Cable/Adapters!

You are very welcome and congratulations on fixing your phone and being in a very exclusive club of users who have brought their devices back from the brink of the abyss...the truly bricked phone. Also big kudos for going to great lengths to research and attempt many complex means to fix a device you had broken yourself rather than returning it to your carrier under warranty. Your ultimate success is richly deserved. :)

A couple of points I wanted to clarify.

The Factory Cable/Adapter does not charge the device at all, but bypasses the battery and smart charging circuit altogether and powers the device directly by supplying +5v on pins 1 and 4. It will always power on the device no matter what state the battery is in or without a battery at all.

The other thing is that depending what the circumstances are that lead to the corrupt boot loader, restoring the device can be even easier and not require flashing the firmware.
In my case, I had specifically overwritten the mbmloader and as soon as I repaired that successfully the phone booted up perfectly fine and fully rooted with everything exactly as I had left it the night I hosed it! :D

p34c3m4k3r

Jan 20, 2012
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
Thank you for the excellent writeup and for the recommendations for TBH Factory Cable/Adapters!

You are very welcome and congratulations on fixing your phone and being in a very exclusive club of users who have brought their devices back from the brink of the abyss...the truly bricked phone. Also big kudos for going to great lengths to research and attempt many complex means to fix a device you had broken yourself rather than returning it to your carrier under warranty. Your ultimate success is richly deserved. :)

The Factory Cable/Adapter does not charge the device at all, but bypasses the battery and smart charging circuit altogether and powers the device directly by supplying +5v on pins 1 and 4. It will always power on the device no matter what state the battery is in or without a battery at all.

The other thing is that depending what the circumstances are that lead to the corrupt boot loader, restoring the device can be even easier and not require flashing the firmware.
In my case, I had specifically overwritten the mbmloader and as soon as I repaired that successfully the phone booted up perfectly fine and fully rooted with everything exactly as I had left it the night I hosed it! :D

Thanks once again, my friend. Corrected as per your definition, the section about the FS Cable.

Peace.

prue

Mar 17, 2009
Bekasi
Sorry my english so bad
My droid razr can't to flash brdl.bin
Just show waiting device
How to fix it?
I'm has do all procedure...
Tq b4...

dtrail1

Oct 7, 2011
Frankfurt
Sorry my english so bad
My droid razr can't to flash brdl.bin
Just show waiting device
How to fix it?
I'm has do all procedure...
Tq b4...

Ehm...Why did you try this??? Have you read careful enough what this is about?? I'm pretty sure your problem can be solved much easier than this way. Depending on your problem you have with your device I suggest you to open up a new thread in general section (or Q&A Section) and ask for help. BUT:

Don't flash anything to your phone if you don't know exactly what you're doing!.

prue

Mar 17, 2009
Bekasi
Ehm...Why did you try this??? Have you read careful enough what this is about?? I'm pretty sure your problem can be solved much easier than this way. Depending on your problem you have with your device I suggest you to open up a new thread in general section (or Q&A Section) and ask for help. BUT:

Don't flash anything to your phone if you don't know exactly what you're doing!.

problem solved master
i'm forget to use latest version of fastboot
now mw droid razr has startup normaly
tq all...

but now get new problem device always on fastboot n show "recipe failed"

maybe you can help me 4 this case...

poshat

Jul 10, 2014
quits.ru
Have same problem with other omap device Huawei U9500 (OMAP4440), but your advice not working unfortunately.

After the message about sending a file, nothing happens, the phone to mode fastboot not pass.

Any advice?

ммм

Sep 23, 2013
Hi all! XT926 is here)
Tell me please can I restore bootloader on my xt926 through this method? Right now when i connect common usb cable to moto and type "lsusb" i see:
ID: 05c6:f006 Qualcomm, Inc.
But when I connect the cable on Windows, the device appears and disappears in the system (I can hear the sound) infinite time, until I remove the cable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, ALL THE CREDITS go to CellZealot from TeamBlackHat ! :cowboy:

This was only possible with the files that he provided!

I was just a simple "guinea pig" that killed a Razr testing theories about downgrading it back to Gingerbread ! :angel:

So lets, f.... do it.

<Warning> By continuing to read and deciding to start this procedure, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN! I, CellZealot, TeamBlackHat & XDA-Developers WILL NOT be held responsible for any personal or material damage that might incur from the actions described here! That's your decision to go on, so deal with it! YOU ARE WARNED! <Warning>

Requirements:

- Stock ICS SBF fastboot firmware package. Google is your friend.

- a PC x86 computer with a usb port

- Linux operating system. (Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, Debian, whatever distro you choose...)

- Linux O.S. knowledge. You must be familiar with the command prompt (Bash Shell) and the commands! That's up to you.

- This software package -> http://www.multiupload.nl/VL33M4I4A3

- The "fastboot" program from the Android SDK (latest version that you can find.)

- a software bricked Razr, that only shows itself as a "OMAP4430" device, under Win. "Device Manager", when plugged. Give it a try under a Windows computer, just to make sure.

- MicroUSB to USB cable. The one that came with your Razr.

- The Razr must be charge to the minimum required the bootloader to enable the flashing process. There are other ways to charge your phone without the stock charger. You can search here on XDA for it.
    PS: The factory service cable, allows you to bypass the battery check, by allowing the Razr to receive 5v straight from the usb port. As per CellZealot explanation on third post.

Optional but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !

- a Motorola Factory/Service Cable. You can build your own or buy one! I recommend buying from "TeamBlackHat" as they make high quality cables and adapters! If you prefer, you can just buy the adapter and use your own MicroUSB cable with it.

About the expected end result: your Razr in FastBoot mode, ready to be flashed with a stock firmware.

<Procedure>

- download the package "spyder_bl.7z" and unpack to a empty directory to avoid any confusion.

- you will end up with 3 files - "omapflash-lnx", "pbrdl.bin" & "brdl.bin"

- make the "omapflash-lnx" file executable

- plug the phone to pc and press the power button for 2 seconds, till it apears as a "Texas Instruments" device under the usb list (lsusb) or in the kernel log.

Now you must be quick and start typing in this order:

sudo ./omapflash-lnx pbrdl.bin
    sudo ./fastboot flash brdl brdl.bin

You should get a "Okay" status on both of them.

Check your Razr screen and it shall be on "FastBoot AP Mode". From here, you can keep flashing on Linux or boot up Windows and use RSD, wich is more user friendly besides being GUI-Oriented.

Some facts about the 3 files: they are all "signed files" by Motorola, that's why it is safe to use. The OMAP4430 cpu on the Razr is factory programmed to only execute signed code, that's why we needed to find an exploit to execute unsigned code. Examples are the KExec, Boot Manager & Safestrat. All of them available here on XDA in their respective threads.

Peace.

PS: Do not thank me or my posts. This guide was only possible due to CellZealot support. You must thank him, if for some reason it helped you recover your phone. Copy that?

PS: Thanks also XDA-Developers for this amazing community!

EDIT: Corrected the part about the Factory Service Cable. It does not allow you to charge the Razr but rather supply the necessary juice for the phone to work without a minimum charge. Thanks again, CellZealot!!!

I've tried & failed to brick my phone~ It's now nearly impossible to brick this phone :good:

Just some notes from my journey,
    pbrdl.bin only accept few commands... so no oem unlock

pbrdl.bin is 1st-loader for USB boot (mbmloader.bin is for NAND boot)
    brdl.bin is just mbm.bin (motorola boot manager)
    Thank you for this valuable guide, it is a true unbricking solution for the RAZR. Some mirrors of the spyder_bl.7z file. Just in case :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?z5gp1ztvwj81qr4
    http://www.4shared.com/archive/BtfH6ML8/spyder_bl.html