Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 48,144 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Section Guidelines -- READ THIS FIRST

Tip us?

svetius
Old
(Last edited by svetius; 2nd January 2013 at 06:29 PM.)
User Experience Admin - OP
Thanks Meter 3047
Arrow Section Guidelines -- READ THIS FIRST

This area is currently experimental and was set up by the XDA Administrators for development discussion. The idea in this section is for developers (not only recognized developers, but all developers) to have a place for discussion threads to "talk shop." What kind of talk? Some topics (that I'm making up as I type this) might include (and are certainly not limited to):
  • Overriding the power widget in the notification dropdown
  • Considerations of using gcc versions other than 4.4.3 for compiling the kernel
  • Tegra3: discussion on working around the SOC wake from sleep delay
This isn't a Q&A forum. However, developers might kick off discussions with a question. The difference? This belongs in Q&A: "My phone wakes up slow, will it go faster if I take my sdcard out?" On the other hand, the following might belong in this new section: "Has anyone tried adjusting the mmc detection timeouts to see if there's an impact on the SOC wakeup delays?" The assumption here is that the person asking the latter question actually knows what a mmc detection timeout is, how they'd change it, and has started to play around with it before posting the question.

As well, this section is not for posting finished products or "advertising" of kernels, apps, etc. This section is to discuss the process, not for the end result.

The hope (at least my own hope) is that developers can discuss things here instead of resorting the various other methods of communication we've used. At the same time, newer developers and even non-developers can LEARN from the conversations and eventually participate.

Depending on the reception (and difficulty moderating, probably) this experiment will either be expanded for other device types, completely shut down as a failure, or adjusted. Obviously, if we developers don't use it, it might be considered a waste of time and dissolved.

This section will be very closely moderated by moderators who are also developers and non-development discussion will be harshly dealt with.

Let's do development.
svetius
-----
User Experience Admin
xda-developers
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wilks3y
Old
Thanks Meter 638

DONATE TO ME
So normal users arent to post here?

For example, could this be used for devs to talk about S-off etc?
If I Helped feel free to Thank me

My Websites:

Lloir
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6528

DONATE TO ME
yes it can be. ANY user can post here as long as it's dev related.

theDroidfanatic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5704
Great Thought

One X Developer
Blade | Blade ExTrimmed

Experienced Beta Tester (PM me), Currently for:
CM10 "SE" version - Seadersn & Rawdealer

Check out my homescreens on MyColorScreen
Follow me on Twitter @theDroidfanatic

matt95
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2322

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilks3y View Post
So normal users arent to post here?

For example, could this be used for devs to talk about S-off etc?
Quote:
newer developers and even non-developers can LEARN from the conversations and eventually participate
just don't fill this thread with rubbish i'm not referring to you

Donate and support my studies at the MIT University! Unruu HTC RUUs | Setup Android Development Environment on Ubuntu | Decrypt HTC RUUs