Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,529 Members 40,254 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][MortScript][Alpha] OSLoader - Android on Windows (Embedded) CE

Tip us?

jwoegerbauer
Old
(Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 24th December 2012 at 05:54 PM.) Reason: Disclaimer added
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 195
Info 2 [APP][MortScript][Alpha] OSLoader - Android on Windows (Embedded) CE

Yes I know there is Gen.Y DualBOOT out since January, 2010, a bootlauncher application for Windows Mobile. It is not designed to be used with landscape oriented touchscreen devices running Windows (Embedded) CE - as this is the case with many SatNav units. Also, for me, it is not generic enough, ex. drive names where an Android installation is searched for, are hardcoded. Hence I decided to 're-code' this bootloader in MortScript, so that each one can modify the code on the fly, if needed. I named the project 'OSLoader'.

Be aware, 'OSLoader' is only a bootlauncher application, so that you still need to provide a suitable Android on your CE device for yourself.
And, as it is with Gen.Y DualBOOT too, actually 'HaRET' is used to boot Android.

Important Note:
Besides the fact you need to provide a suitable Android on your CE device for yourself - the Android distribution that comes with 'OSLoader' only serves demonstration purposes, it doesn't make any sense to try to get Android running on Windows (Embedded) CE via 'HaRET', if you can't obtain a copy of CE's main display driver as named in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers\MainDisplay, (perhaps using tool 'NDumpCE' by ablbd and renaming this 'ddi.dll' to 'ace_ddi.dll' ) this because 'HaRET' (at least all its current available versions I've used) expects library 'ace_ddi.dll' (a Samsung's main display driver) to be present in device's folder \Windows. Of course 'OSLoader' comes with a 'ace_ddi.dll' replacement...

'OSLoader' is still under development. It may be incomplete, may contain bugs. Please feel free to report any bugs, suggest any improvements.

Downloads: see post #2
Installation Instructions: see post #3

Disclaimer:

THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION AND ANY AND ALL UPDATES AND MODIFICATIONS TO THEM ARE LICENSED 'AS IS.' I DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE OR ITS DOCUMENTATION WILL BE CORRECTED OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL RUN ERROR-FREE. THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES COVERING THE SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF DESIGN, MERCHANTABLITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR AGAINST INFRINGEMENT

Credits:

Mirko Schenk (AKA Mort) -> MortScript [ http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?lang=en ]
TroNik -> CE-utilities (esp. RegFlushKey.exe)
Daniel Schumann .-> SystemInformation [ http://www.ultimatelaunch.de/index_en.html ]

PLEASE ALWAYS USE THIS THREAD TO POST ISSUES RELATED TO OSLoader, DO NOT PM ME. THANK YOU.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jwoegerbauer
Old
(Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 7th August 2013 at 03:36 PM.) Reason: link renewed
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 195
Version history:

2013-08-05 Fixed some typos (thanks to bulldozerecske)
Version 0.0.4 Android-on-CE-DualBoot-0.0.4.zip MD5: 1d73ade6ac8cbc102dc603dfa8d4d66d

2012-12-27 Fixed calculation of RAM needed to run supplied Android port
Version 0.0.3

2012-12-24 Script bugs fixed (thanks to Viper The Ripper)
Version 0.0.2

2012-12-20 Initial release
Version 0.0.1

Kindly remark: Please do NOT mirror 'OSLoader' somewhere else. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jwoegerbauer
Old
(Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 21st December 2012 at 06:42 AM.) Reason: signature removed
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 195
Installation Instructions:

Unpack .ZIP to root of SD-card. Run <sd-card>\OSLoader\OSLoader.exe
The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jwoegerbauer
Old
(Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 27th December 2012 at 01:36 PM.) Reason: FAQ startet
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 195
FAQ:

1. How does HaRET work?
As I understand it, the Android port you privide IS NOT A ROM. Hence you copy the Rootfs, Kernel and HaRet to the SD-card and run it. No flashing at all. HaRET unloads Windows (Embedded) CE and starts Android. The internal storage is mounted under Android as a normal partition. After a soft-reset (warm-boot) it returns to Windows (Embedded) CE automatically. So no flashing and no formatting with different filesystem.

2. What is the correct machine type ID for my device?
Honestly I don't know this. AFAIK a generic machine type isn't defined here. If you don't find a valuable identifier please feel free to register your device with http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/ and then use the machine type ID assigned.

sonygoup
Old
Thanks Meter 3
hmm gonna give it a try

Viper The Ripper
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 752
Awesome! this will work on all devices with windows ce 6.0?
I've looking for running Android on my Toshiba Journe Touch with windows ce 6.0 but I've never found anyone who port Android to this device so I will try you work!
I would like to have Android, whichever (donut, froyo...) would be better than windows ce

Dougshell
Old
Thanks Meter 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
Installation Instructions:

Unpack .ZIP to root of SD-card. Run <sd-card>\OSLoader\OSLoader.exe
dont most car infotainment systems run windows CE. Seems interesting
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *
NIGHTLY COMPILED [AOKP] BUILDS [RETIRED] Check out my thread Please help me have room for more AOKP mirrors. Click Here
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *

dewadg
Old
Thanks Meter 271

DONATE TO ME
Wow, nice! Even though I am not a Windows Mobile user, but it's very nice!
Google Nexus 4 16 GB / dewadgKernel / Github

jwoegerbauer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper The Ripper View Post
Awesome! this will work on all devices with windows ce 6.0?
I've looking for running Android on my Toshiba Journe Touch with windows ce 6.0 but I've never found anyone who port Android to this device so I will try you work!
I would like to have Android, whichever (donut, froyo...) would be better than windows ce
If you mean 'OSLoader' itself, then the answer is YES. If you mean the applied Android distribution, then the answer is I DON'T KNOW.
My devices:
GPS: Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Professional
Phablet: Android 4.0.4
Laptop: Windows 8.1.1
Phone: Windows Phone 8.0

Viper The Ripper
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
If you mean 'OSLoader' itself, then the answer is YES. If you mean the applied Android distribution, then the answer is I DON'T KNOW.
Didn' t work but great work!
"Missing ')'
Line 95..."

waarffockrnosjahwbfe!!! I need Android on my device, winCE is useless... I can't use flash player! Do you know any way to port android to this device? lol!