Optimus G car home .apk?

21st December 2012, 01:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 5

53 posts
More
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could post there car home .apk as Google has stopped development and support for it, and there original version does not run properly on Ice Cream Sandwich and above. But, I was noticing at Best Buy today that Optimus G owners have an updated version included with there factory rom. If someone could post that for the rest of us perhaps we can get it to run properly on other newer android devices?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
21st December 2012, 01:44 AM   |  #2  
Flag Conception Bay South
Thanks Meter: 49

316 posts
More
I can't find any car home or dock home apk. I also used nova launcher to search for anything that looked like a dock activity but could find nothing.

Edit: I have a bell optimus g.
21st December 2012, 02:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 5

53 posts
More
Perhaps it is just on the At&t version? Thanks for looking!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
12th January 2013, 02:45 AM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1

24 posts
More
What does this Car home .apk actually do?
(sorry another newb question).
12th January 2013, 05:59 AM   |  #5  
Flag Astana

3 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa_Fly

What does this Car home .apk actually do?
(sorry another newb question).

App lets you to use phone easily while driving by showing big buttons you cannot miss for navigation, maps, contacs, call, music, voice search, emergency call.
The Following User Says Thank You to SalamatiQus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2013, 03:58 AM   |  #6  
Flag Seoul
Thanks Meter: 95

999 posts
More
Here we go:
Attached Files
File Type: zip CarHome.zip - [Click for QR Code] (973.7 KB, 366 views)
15th January 2013, 01:04 PM   |  #7  

316 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim4

Here we go:

I tried these files (in /system/app) but it seems like the app's dock intent isn't registering.
I tried to force the device into car dock mode using the magnet method, and I get the car dock icon in the status bar but the app doesn't launch.
I also can't seem to find any activity that I could use to launch it manually.
I don't really have time to troubleshoot but if someone else figures it out could you post it here?

edit: meh, <uses-sdk minSdkVersion="16" targetSdkVersion="16"/>
Android 4.0.4 is SDK v15.
Last edited by xxbeanxx; 15th January 2013 at 01:26 PM.
22nd January 2013, 11:57 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 17

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbeanxx

I tried these files (in /system/app) but it seems like the app's dock intent isn't registering.
I tried to force the device into car dock mode using the magnet method, and I get the car dock icon in the status bar but the app doesn't launch.
I also can't seem to find any activity that I could use to launch it manually.
I don't really have time to troubleshoot but if someone else figures it out could you post it here?

edit: meh, <uses-sdk minSdkVersion="16" targetSdkVersion="16"/>
Android 4.0.4 is SDK v15.

Huh, TIL.

Tried it on my E970 with a little NeoD magnet right under Volume Down. Mine launches and foregrounds CarHome (and I'm running 4.0.4). First time I had to remove and replace the magnet, but after that, it came up each time.

Now, to find a dock for this....
Attached Files
File Type: zip CarHome.zip - [Click for QR Code] (531.2 KB, 109 views)
23rd January 2013, 02:38 AM   |  #9  

316 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nericus

Huh, TIL.

Tried it on my E970 with a little NeoD magnet right under Volume Down. Mine launches and foregrounds CarHome (and I'm running 4.0.4). First time I had to remove and replace the magnet, but after that, it came up each time.

Now, to find a dock for this....

I tried again with the attached APK and this time had a computer close by to troubleshoot.
Am noticing this in the logcat after boot:

Code:
W/PackageManager(  389): StaleDexCacheError when reading apk: /system/app/CarHome.apk
W/PackageManager(  389): dalvik.system.StaleDexCacheError: /system/app/CarHome.apk
I haven't seen this error before so I'll have to google a bit to figure out what's going on here.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Figured it out. I deodexed the CarHome apk from the AT&T rom posted in their Optimus G forum.
If you're interested in doing it yourself, grab the rom from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2067871.

Next, extract system/framework to a folder somewhere and the system/app/CarHome.apk and system/app/CarHome.odex files somewhere else.

Use baksmali to decompile the odex file:
Code:
java -jar baksmali.jar -d frameworkDir -x CarHome.odex
It will produce an out folder with the smali files; use smali to recompile these:
Code:
java -jar smali.jar out
Rename the resulting out.dex file to classes.dex and inject it into CarHome.apk (I used 7zip to do this).
Put the resulting apk in /system/app and reboot.

The apk I created is here, in case anyone doesn't want to go through the mess of manually deodexing: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/454322/CarHome.apk
Last edited by xxbeanxx; 23rd January 2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Fixed dropbox link
2nd July 2013, 12:41 PM   |  #10  

8 posts
Hello,

I have bought the Optimus G (French version - E975) and I don't find how to launch the car dock using magnet. I used to have this option on my old Motorola Defy with official car dock but before buying a new car dock for the Optimus G, I want to be sure that it exists a car dock that allow automatic car mode using magnet option but It seams that on E975 there is no magnet detection inside...

Someone can help me please?

Kind regards,
Guillaume.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread