[GUIDE][HOWTO] Installing HTC drivers on Win8 for adb/fastboot

OP Hippie459MN

23rd December 2012, 04:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag St. Francis, Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 319

890 posts
More
Well, After doing a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro (64bit) I soon realized that HTC does not support Win8 drivers yet officially but after hours of scouring the internet, I finally got it to work and it works perfect!

I have found that the Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 but the HTC Driver installer will not allow a windows 8 install for some reason. There are 2 ways to do it but this is the easiest as I have already pulled the full driver pack from a Windows 7 driver install to make it easier for everyone.

Instructions to installing HTC Drivers on Windows8 64Bit:
==========================================
1. Download the Windows7 (64 Bit) drivers here - http://d-h.st/OYI
2. Unzip to any location you want. Just remember where you put them.
3. Plug in your phone to your USB cable.
4. Open your Device Manager (Windows Key + X and select Device manager) and locate HTC under Other Devices and right click on it and select Update Driver Software
5. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
6. Click Browse and then select the folder you unzipped with the drivers in it then click next.
7. It should now install your drivers and then in your device manager it will now show up "My HTC" under Android USB Devices.

Hope that helps anyone having troubles getting USB/HTC drivers working on Windows 8 (64bit).

Now you can use adb and fastboot commands. I use Fastboot Commander and I can report it works perfect in Win8.

EDIT: Im sure this will work for any other HTC phone as well as I am pretty sure the drivers are pretty universal for HTC phones, just so happens I have an Evo3D and do not have any other HTC phones to test this on other then my Hero. I will test that as soon as I can to see if that works also and update my findings.

Enjoy!
The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to Hippie459MN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th December 2012, 04:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 65

1,054 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie459MN

Well, After doing a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro (64bit) I soon realized that HTC does not support Win8 drivers yet officially but after hours of scouring the internet, I finally got it to work and it works perfect!

I have found that the Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 but the HTC Driver installer will not allow a windows 8 install for some reason. There are 2 ways to do it but this is the easiest as I have already pulled the full driver pack from a Windows 7 driver install to make it easier for everyone.

Instructions to installing HTC Drivers on Windows8 64Bit:
==========================================
1. Download the Windows7 (64 Bit) drivers here - http://d-h.st/OYI
2. Unzip to any location you want. Just remember where you put them.
3. Plug in your phone to your USB cable.
4. Open your Device Manager (Windows Key + X and select Device manager) and locate HTC under Other Devices and right click on it and select Update Driver Software
5. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
6. Click Browse and then select the folder you unzipped with the drivers in it then click next.
7. It should now install your drivers and then in your device manager it will now show up "My HTC" under Android USB Devices.

Hope that helps anyone having troubles getting USB/HTC drivers working on Windows 8 (64bit).

Now you can use adb and fastboot commands. I use Fastboot Commander and I can report it works perfect in Win8.

EDIT: Im sure this will work for any other HTC phone as well as I am pretty sure the drivers are pretty universal for HTC phones, just so happens I have an Evo3D and do not have any other HTC phones to test this on other then my Hero. I will test that as soon as I can to see if that works also and update my findings.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your instruction.
However I followed every steps and the My HTC driver was renewed ... I still fail to resign the app after I modified it.
The Following User Says Thank You to alhuang69 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th December 2012, 04:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

890 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhuang69

Thanks so much for your instruction.
However I followed every steps and the My HTC driver was renewed ... I still fail to resign the app after I modified it.

I dont understand. Resign what app? All this does is install the drivers in Win8 (64bit version) if you didnt have them installed already so you can use adb and fastboot commands via command prompt on your PC. If you had drivers installed and working in Win8 already there is/was no need for this.
27th December 2012, 02:28 AM   |  #4  

1,054 posts
Quote:

I dont understand. Resign what app? All this does is install the drivers in Win8 (64bit version) if you didnt have them installed already so you can use adb and fastboot commands via command prompt on your PC. If you had drivers installed and working in Win8 already there is/was no need for this.

Thank you very much for your reply. I updated the HTC Sync version 3.3.1.7 --- the sync and the connection between the phone and PC are working very well. The adb never works even followed your instruction but still can't make the adb works. I suspect my adb version is too old.

Would you be kind to share the adb?
27th December 2012, 02:52 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

890 posts
More
Any adb and fastboot app should work. Worked fine for me on a really old version and also on the latest version.

Get it right from Google. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Just click on Downloads for other platforms and then download SDK Tools only.

Install that then launch the SDK Manager and select to download the Android Platform Tools and you will get the latest adb and fastboot

I would install to your c: drive and not in program files. Just a recommendation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hippie459MN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th December 2012, 03:34 AM   |  #6  

1,054 posts
Quote:

Any adb and fastboot app should work. Worked fine for me on a really old version and also on the latest version.

Get it right from Google. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Just click on Downloads for other platforms and then download SDK Tools only.

Install that then launch the SDK Manager and select to download the Android Platform Tools and you will get the latest adb and fastboot

I would install to your c: drive and not in program files. Just a recommendation.

Thank you very much again. I will try it then.
1st January 2013, 09:54 PM   |  #7  
Flag Geelong
Thanks Meter: 494

1,369 posts
Worked for my HTC ONE X on my Win 8 ultrabook, took less than 2 minutes all up from reading your post (well skimming heh). Made it nice and easy. Thanks
3rd February 2013, 03:08 AM   |  #8  
Flag Mother's basement
Thanks Meter: 121

189 posts
More
Thanks man, worked perfectly. Now adb logcat works, while before it would sit on Waiting for Device.
11th February 2013, 07:57 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1,044

818 posts
Don't the 4.x series drivers from HTC natively support Win8? I don't have Win8 myself, but perhaps someone could test and report back? I posted a small collection of Windows drivers in my forum section.
11th February 2013, 08:08 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 9,152

8,817 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmower

Don't the 4.x series drivers from HTC natively support Win8? I don't have Win8 myself, but perhaps someone could test and report back? I posted a small collection of Windows drivers in my forum section.

The requirements for HTC Sync still don't include Windows 8 as a supported environment even though the last update was on December 28th so I'm guessing the drivers included with that won't install properly.

HTC Sync Manager supports Windows 8 but not the Evo 3D. If the 4.x drivers were extracted from that they may work with the Evo 3D but I don't run Windows 8 yet so someone else going to have to test them.

ramjet73

The Following User Says Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread