Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,977 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle Fire HD 7 stuck on 'application stop'

Tip us?

twhitehead1081
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Kindle Fire HD 7 stuck on 'application stop'

I am so confused . . .

I have a kindle fire hd 7. I rooted it today using the one/two step method and it worked beautifully. I tried a couple of different launchers (go launcher hd, adw launcher and apex launcher) and all worked fine. I decided to go back to using go launcher hd since I liked it the best. No problem. Switching and uninstalling worked great. Before I could finish reinstalling the go launcher hd and moving to the system app folder, I stupidly saw the new Next Launcher and tried that. Now my kindle is stuck on an endless "Next Launcher has stopped" cycle and I can't get it to stop. I have tried resetting to factory default and that didn't work.

The odd part is, even though I get the same error message every second (literally) the kindle will still work if I'm fast enough pushing the ok button on the error. I have taken 4 hours and navigated to the menu where I force it to close (didn't work), tried to find the es file explorer (didn't work) and no matter what I do, I can't get it to stop.

I hope that was thorough enough. Any tips?

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME
Prompt Kindle 7" HD Safe Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhitehead1081 View Post
I am so confused . . .

I have a kindle fire hd 7. I rooted it today using the one/two step method and it worked beautifully. I tried a couple of different launchers (go launcher hd, adw launcher and apex launcher) and all worked fine. I decided to go back to using go launcher hd since I liked it the best. No problem. Switching and uninstalling worked great. Before I could finish reinstalling the go launcher hd and moving to the system app folder, I stupidly saw the new Next Launcher and tried that. Now my kindle is stuck on an endless "Next Launcher has stopped" cycle and I can't get it to stop. I have tried resetting to factory default and that didn't work.

The odd part is, even though I get the same error message every second (literally) the kindle will still work if I'm fast enough pushing the ok button on the error. I have taken 4 hours and navigated to the menu where I force it to close (didn't work), tried to find the es file explorer (didn't work) and no matter what I do, I can't get it to stop.

I hope that was thorough enough. Any tips?
This is a shot in the dark but try a few things:

1) Hard Reset. While the Kindle is turned on Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds, ignoring any Shutdown Message. The Kindle will power off on a hard reset.

2) Safe Mode. Power the Kindle in Safe Mode. When the Kindle is OFF press the Volume Up and Down together. While pressing the Volume keys, press the Power Button button to turn on the Kindle, release the Power button within 3 seconds. Just don't let go of the Volume keys until the Kindle is fully powered up. You will see "Safe Mode" in the left hand corner of your screen.

What is the error?
The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

twhitehead1081
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
This is a shot in the dark but try a few things:

1) Hard Reset. While the Kindle is turned on Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds, ignoring any Shutdown Message. The Kindle will power off on a hard reset.

2) Safe Mode. Power the Kindle in Safe Mode. When the Kindle is OFF press the Volume Up and Down together. While pressing the Volume keys, press the Power Button button to turn on the Kindle, release the Power button within 3 seconds. Just don't let go of the Volume keys until the Kindle is fully powered up. You will see "Safe Mode" in the left hand corner of your screen.

What is the error?

Tried the Hard Reset and the Safe Mode, neither worked. The message continues to pop up repeatedly.

The error itself is that after I tried to use the Next Launcher by putting it into the system/app folder like you would any other launcher to get it to do its things, it didn't work and now I get a continuous "Next Launcher Has Stopped" message that no matter how many times you press "OK" it keeps coming up, literally every second. The odd part is, I have been able to re-root the kindle and navigate it so I know I'm not bricked and I am 95% sure I am not soft bricked, though I could be wrong. I have managed to get ES Explorer back onto the Kindle and can navigate my way over time to the system/app folder. I have tried deleting the file and I get the "Error Deleting File" message and it continues. From what I can see, all I need to do is get this file deleted (and not try random untested things of course ) and if I can do that, it will be fixed. I just can't seem to get it deleted. I have tried both ES File Explorer and Astro File Explorer which are both still on my kindle. I have tried deleting it with the multi-select option in both but get that previously mentioned "Error Deleting File." I have tried moving it back to the sdcard/download folder with the same error. I have tried killing the task with Astro and ignoring it as well and that doesn't work. I am still working on this. I do realize as well that when this first happened I should have cleared out some files before I did the factory reset which also didn't work. However I was unable to get that file (Next Launcher) deleted which is why I went to the factory reset. After I managed to get the Kindle re-rooted, the only I haven't been able to do is get Superuser root access to the system/app folder to change permissions, again because of the repeated error.

It all comes down to the Next Launcher.apk file in the system/app folder that I can't get out. Long pressing anything doesn't work because of the repeated pop-up "Next Launcher has stopped." error mentioned above. The only way I can show you what it is exactly is to screw up your Kindle Fire HD 7 by downloading and putting the Next Launcher.apk file in the system app folder. That's literally all I did and now I can't get it to stop. I've even tried adding a second and third launcher to see if I could pick one on start up but that didn't work either. I even got ADW Launcher running and the error still came up. I'm running out of ideas. I'm open to any ideas at this point. Thanks for your time with this btw. I really appreciate it.

onemeila
Old
Thanks Meter 239

DONATE TO ME
Since you have root access you can use adb to remove a system apk,
Use these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system 
rm -r /system/app/[AppName].apk
mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system
If you need to look up a list of apk names on the device:
Code:
cd /system/app
ls *.apk
Hope this works for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onemeila For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME
Default adb shell

Quote:
Tried the Hard Reset and the Safe Mode, neither worked. The message continues to pop up repeatedly.

The error itself is that after I tried to use the Next Launcher by putting it into the system/app folder like you would any other launcher to get it to do its things, it didn't work and now I get a continuous "Next Launcher Has Stopped" message that no matter how many times you press "OK" it keeps coming up, literally every second. The odd part is, I have been able to re-root the kindle and navigate it so I know I'm not bricked and I am 95% sure I am not soft bricked, though I could be wrong. I have managed to get ES Explorer back onto the Kindle and can navigate my way over time to the system/app folder. I have tried deleting the file and I get the "Error Deleting File" message and it continues. From what I can see, all I need to do is get this file deleted (and not try random untested things of course ) and if I can do that, it will be fixed. I just can't seem to get it deleted. I have tried both ES File Explorer and Astro File Explorer which are both still on my kindle. I have tried deleting it with the multi-select option in both but get that previously mentioned "Error Deleting File." I have tried moving it back to the sdcard/download folder with the same error. I have tried killing the task with Astro and ignoring it as well and that doesn't work. I am still working on this. I do realize as well that when this first happened I should have cleared out some files before I did the factory reset which also didn't work. However I was unable to get that file (Next Launcher) deleted which is why I went to the factory reset. After I managed to get the Kindle re-rooted, the only I haven't been able to do is get Superuser root access to the system/app folder to change permissions, again because of the repeated error.

It all comes down to the Next Launcher.apk file in the system/app folder that I can't get out. Long pressing anything doesn't work because of the repeated pop-up "Next Launcher has stopped." error mentioned above. The only way I can show you what it is exactly is to screw up your Kindle Fire HD 7 by downloading and putting the Next Launcher.apk file in the system app folder. That's literally all I did and now I can't get it to stop. I've even tried adding a second and third launcher to see if I could pick one on start up but that didn't work either. I even got ADW Launcher running and the error still came up. I'm running out of ideas. I'm open to any ideas at this point. Thanks for your time with this btw. I really appreciate it.
What about using ADB to communicate to your Kindle? That is, using "adb shell" thus allowing you shell access to your Kindle. Then using the shell to first kill the Next Launcher service and then finally rename it to Next Launcher.bak - Maybe?
The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME
Prompt Follow Up

Quote:

How did this work out? Were you able to fix the issue? If yes, post the resolution just in case one of us has the same problem.

I hope adb shell worked.

twhitehead1081
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
How did this work out? Were you able to fix the issue? If yes, post the resolution just in case one of us has the same problem.

I hope adb shell worked.

Hi Guys,

I tried your method and it kept giving me an error saying the file doesn't exist. I went through some of the forums and somehow managed to get the kindle stuck in System Recovery mode. After a few more hours of playing with it, I called Amazon Customer Service and they are sending me a new one. Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry the directions above didn't work. I know now for future reference what not to do.

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Application Stop

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I tried your method and it kept giving me an error saying the file doesn't exist. I went through some of the forums and somehow managed to get the kindle stuck in System Recovery mode. After a few more hours of playing with it, I called Amazon Customer Service and they are sending me a new one. Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry the directions above didn't work. I know now for future reference what not to do.
Well I am glad you are getting a new Kindle! Follow our Noob instruction series when you get the new Kindle.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)

The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!

Krsmqn
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Bummer, because that Next launcher looks nice. I hope someone can figure out how to make it work.
Do you own a ZTE Source? If so, visit the ZTE Source thread!

Is your Kindle bricked? Visit the Kindle Fire First Aide thread. Get a SkOrPn Factory Cable.

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME
Smile Next Launcher and Apex Launcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krsmqn View Post
Bummer, because that Next launcher looks nice. I hope someone can figure out how to make it work.
We will be working with Go Launcher team to get this done.

We will create a How to: once we have cleaned out the bugs.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)

The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!