XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Enable AWS band (3g/4g Tmobile) on ATT Note 2 stock baseband

Tip us?

ruinkhan
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKHD View Post
I will do this tonight with my I317, can anyone post a more clear set of instructions? I already have the T-Mobile ROM posted on the AT&T dev section as well as the AT&T ROM on T-Mobile's dev section... This is a huge discovery... I mean huge... Please, anyone care to elaborate on this... Better instructions... I have both the T889 and the I317... And I will test this as soon as there is a better guide... Thank you

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium HD app
Indeed this a huge plus for our At&t Note. I wasnt expecting this to be done this early, but the man did it. My hands are now itching to try this and save $50 a month by switching to AWS network. I would really love to see easier instructions [not all of us hackers ]
Hit Thanks if my post was useful (most of them are not )
Noob's Paradise - I know you have a question, this should answer it
The Following User Says Thank You to ruinkhan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sjravi
Old
(Last edited by sjravi; 27th December 2012 at 09:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbqfly View Post
the options i see are
mtp
mto+adb
ptp
ptp+adb
rndis+dm+modem
dm+modem+adb

just found out i can select any mode with DM

thanx
select rndis+dm+modem, sorry but that is the option on my ATT note 2 also
Yes you can select any mode with DM (Diag mode) which enables the diagnostic port to the baseband.
The Following User Says Thank You to sjravi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bestplayer55
Old
(Last edited by Bestplayer55; 27th December 2012 at 10:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 16
What is the use of this? I dont get it yet lol. Btw i seem when my note display 3g the internet dosnt work i need wait seconds to display h or h+ and then works. Is that normal?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

TEKHD
Old
Thanks Meter 904

DONATE TO ME
Okay I got home... any good instructions yet? ready to do this...

ruinkhan
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestplayer55 View Post
What is the use of this? I dont get it yet lol. Btw i seem when my note display 3g the internet dosnt work i need wait seconds to display h or h+ and then works. Is that normal?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

It allows people that have At&t Note 2 to use their device with T-Mobile's 1700 frequency band (or 2100 if there is).
In Canada its a big big plus as it allows people like me to be:

1.Free from 3 year contract
2.Have a GSM phone that can be used with AWS network as well.
3.Get a $40 Unlimited Voice/Text/Unlimited Data (10 data cap lol) plan. Of course No LTE or 42mbps speeds.
Hit Thanks if my post was useful (most of them are not )
Noob's Paradise - I know you have a question, this should answer it
The Following User Says Thank You to ruinkhan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Darkshado
Old
Thanks Meter 318
sjravi, perhaps these NV backups would be of interest for comparison purposes. I got these in the course of trying to flash back the stock modem on my T889V, which it currently bootloops with.

My phone is currently stuck with the I317M modem, has 850, 1900 and AWS HSPA in addition to LTE. Barring any inaccuracies in the Ookla Speedtest app, it also has DC-HSPA. (The phone clocked at 26 Mbps on HSPA during one of my tests.)

There's a stock T-Mobile T889, stock Videotron T889V and my post-repair, I317M modem-running T889V backup in there.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z NV_items.7z - [Click for QR Code] (111.5 KB, 387 views)
My phones: Galaxy Note II SGH-T889V (with LTE enabled / ext4 SD card support on TouchWiz ROMs)
Previous phones: Nexus S GT-I9020A, Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M (Arpeggiomod ROM / Discussion, stock rooted ROM).
Phones for which I play "tech support" for family and friends: Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, Galaxy Q SGH-T589R, Galaxy 551 GT-I5510M, LG C-800G Eclypse, Motorola XT-1032 Moto G
Ingress Resistance - Level 8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkshado For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Manni.k
Old
Thanks Meter 3
is there list? as in what lines to change?

TEKHD
Old
Thanks Meter 904

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjravi View Post
Things needed:
1> NV back up tool from this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1804117
2> NV backup from my note 2 attached in this post (without IMEI: nv item 550)
3> NV backup of your device

Its also good to take NV backup using QPST tool before changing anything on the device.

First take a NV backup of your device using the tool mentioned above. NV parameters from 0 to 7225 are needed.
Compare NV param file in this post with your device's to find the needed NV parameters for AWS.( I do not have original NV backup of my device else I would have posted the list. If someone is interested to make a list, it can be added to the post.)

[B]Before restoring nv backup, the AWS NV parameters should to be enabled/B]

The additional NV's that are needed, to enable AWS band are disable/not present and the nv tool does not write these even if the restore file has them. This is what I noticed when I tried to restore. So had to enable all the required parameters using NV browser in QXDM.

Once the NV's are enabled, it cannot be disabled so be careful.
To enable just select the NV item and click write in NV browser and this has to be done for all the needed nv parameters.
Does anybody know a work around to avoid this manual work?

Once all the parameters are enabled the NV file in this post can be restored on to your device to enable AWS.

Messing with NV parameters can brick your device.
Okay, From this point on... I am lost...

"So had to enable all the required parameters using NV browser in QXDM"

The Following User Says Thank You to TEKHD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sjravi
Old
(Last edited by sjravi; 28th December 2012 at 07:47 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKHD View Post
Okay, From this point on... I am lost...

"So had to enable all the required parameters using NV browser in QXDM"

NV manager is very old tool and not supported by note 2, so you cannot use it.

Use NV browser in QXDM (last version found online 3.12.724), which you can google to get it.
Once you have installed it. Run QXDM professional
Go to Options > Communications: Here you should see 2 ports for the phone one is modem port and the other diagnostic port.
Select diagnostic port. Check out the attached screenshots

After you have the NV browser open. Select the NV item that needs to be enabled and click "write" this will write the value "0". Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip qxdm.zip - [Click for QR Code] (231.0 KB, 562 views)

TEKHD
Old
(Last edited by TEKHD; 28th December 2012 at 08:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 904

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjravi View Post
NV manager is very old tool and not supported by note 2, so you cannot use it.

Use NV browser in QXDM (last version found online 3.12.724), which you can google to get it.
Once you have installed it. Run QXDM professional
Go to Options > Communications: Here you should see 2 ports for the phone one is modem port and the other diagnostic port.
Select diagnostic port. Check out the attached screenshots

After you have the NV browser open. Select the NV item that needs to be enabled and click "write" this will write the value "0". Hope this helps.
Man, don't make us suffer... post the tool and the whatever that needs to be enabled... lol

EDIT... got the tool... Attaching it here...

EDIT AGAIN... no, is not working on windows 7/8 ... is for xp... damn... any version for windows 7 or windows 8?

XP Version here:

http://tekhd.com/downloads/QXDM_3.12.714_winxp.rar

When installing it says requires Internet Explorer 6 or higher... lol...I have version 10

let me see if I can bypass that message... by extracting .msi file via command promp...

-> Update... Extracted the damn .msi... but the exe files don't run... So... I have to install XP now?

-> Update 2... got it running in compatibility XP mode... see picture... now what? lol

-> Select the NV item that needs to be enabled and click "write" this will write the value "0" ??????????????????????????????????????????