For any of the below procedures, read the instructions several times before attempting. Also, please copy/paste any commands in the code boxes so you avoid making typing mistakes.
You can find me on IRC, irc.andirc.net #HTCJButterfly - but it's not a dedicated channel and I'm usually only on in the evenings, JST.
To do this, I assume you have the proper tools set up, are familiar with doing ADB commands, are aware that I (or the other posters) are NOT liable for any damage that you might do to your phone. Proceed at your own risk.
Unlock: Yes (日本語で from fnoji111 / simplified English explanation from samusx)
Here, we will get temproot, change the CID, then unlock the phone through the htcdev website.
- goroh_kun's root tools
- You are able to issue ADB/Fastboot commands to your phone
- USB Debugging is ON (Settings -> Developer Options -> check USB Debugging)
Further note, you may want to back up everything on your external SD card, or just use a spare external SD card to do this process.
- From goroh_kun's root tools, you'll find two files inside: diaggetroot.apk and getroot. Put these two files in a folder where you can run ADB commands.
- In a command prompt, run Code:
adb install diaggetroot.apk
- Next, run Code:
adb push getroot /data/local/tmp/getroot adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/getroot
- On your phone, run the diaggetroot application, the name might be BreakSuidDiag, wait for the Hello World! message to appear
- In the command prompt, run Code:
adb shell /dev/sh
(Thank you, beaups, for the easier method to change the CID!)
- You should have # in the command prompt
- run Code:
echo -ne "11111111" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=20
- back into the command prompt, with #, run Code:
- With your phone now in the bootloader, run Code:
fastboot oem readcid
It's probably a good idea to backup any data because this will essentially factory reset your phone.
- If you have 11111111, go to htcdev.com
- Choose to unlock the bootloader, from the devices pull-down menu, select ALL OTHER SUPPORTED MODELS
- Follow all of the directions until you are unlocked
- Keep your unlock token somewhere safe!
Custom Recovery and Root: YES
Phone unlocked? Good. Thanks to drewx2, we now have a working custom recovery, and we can get root as well. We'll do this in one go. We will flash the custom recovery, change the theme so that the recovery fits on the screen, then flash SuperSU. Oh, let's flash Busybox as well.
- drewx2's twrp-htc-dlxj.img
- SU_Busybox_Package.zip (optional, if you don't want to install a custom ROM but need root)
Flash TWRP and change the theme
- In the command prompt Code:
adb reboot bootloader
- When the phone enters bootloader mode, in the command prompt Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-htc-dlxj.img
- Check to make sure that the recovery works. If it does, great!
- Follow this guide to change the theme to fit the screen
From here, you can flash a ROM through the custom recovery, like AUrora, and it will already be rooted with SuperSU included. If you don't want to install a custom ROM, you can follow the below instructions to get root/SuperSU on your stock system.
Flash SuperSU and Busybox from TWRP (optional)
- Put the SU_Busybox_Package.zip file on your sdcard
- From TWRP, tap Install
- Find the file and select it
- Swipe the white arrow from left to right to install
- Tap Reboot System and check to see if SuperSU and Busybox work
Custom ROMs: Yes
J Butterfly Stock Rooted ROM 1.15.970.1 (odex)
J Butterfly Stock Rooted ROM 1.15.970.1 (deodex) - Camera will crash if you try and record a video, seeing what can be done to resolve this. Please use the odex'd rom instead if you need to video record.
AUrora v1.0.2 - See Post #2
Please go to http://unlimited.io/ - The DirtyRacun S-OFF method has been released for this phone. You can find this method under the S-OFF Exploits menu.
(Please note that support for S-OFF will not be available on this thread, please ask the developers at the unlimited.io website if you have any troubles or issues with the S-OFF method)
SIM Unlock: Yes
There is a guide written by fnoji111. Because I have not tested this myself, I cannot provide any assistance if you find yourself in trouble. DO THIS PROCEDURE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Custom Kernels: N/A
fnoji111, for providing the unlock process
samusx, writing up an explanation of the unlock process
jcase, Dr_Drache, dsb, for their time and advice on random things
beaups, his time, alternative methods, and simpler CID method
drewx2, for providing a working custom recovery (TWRP)
dsb, for helping me get my custom rom working
lyapota for the camera mod
nitsuj17, stat bar mods
UKB (nitsuj17) and CODIS (chingy51o, newtoroot) ROM creators
zeppelinrox, SuperCharger V6 tweaks