KF2 Fastboot Help

Search This thread

crankyy

Oct 23, 2011
Hi, I'm currently struggling to get kfu to work on my KF2, i've got access to the root thanks to Qemu but kfu keeps saying <waiting for device>.

I've read and read and read post after post and I'm pretty sure I'm confusing myself now,

I have the Android SDK software installed including the Kindle Fire drivers, in Windows 7 Device Manager I have "Kindle Fire > Android Composite ADB Interface" (Amazon 1.2 driver) and Portable Devices > Kindle" ( Microsoft 6.7.7600) after modifying "android_winusb.inf" and "adb_usb.ini"

Nothing I do seems to put it into fastboot mode, is there something i'm missing, do I need to copy something to to the kindle??

Thanks for any help in advance

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Factory USB Cable

Hi, I'm currently struggling to get kfu to work on my KF2, i've got access to the root thanks to Qemu but kfu keeps saying <waiting for device>.

I've read and read and read post after post and I'm pretty sure I'm confusing myself now,

I have the Android SDK software installed including the Kindle Fire drivers, in Windows 7 Device Manager I have "Kindle Fire > Android Composite ADB Interface" (Amazon 1.2 driver) and Portable Devices > Kindle" ( Microsoft 6.7.7600) after modifying "android_winusb.inf" and "adb_usb.ini"

Nothing I do seems to put it into fastboot mode, is there something i'm missing, do I need to copy something to to the kindle??

Thanks for any help in advance

You need a Factory USB Cable: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1392693

There is a link to purchase one.

crankyy

Oct 23, 2011
Well that got it into fastboot but in "Device Manager" it came up as "Otter2-Prod-04" with a yellow exclamation mark.

It couldn't find the correct drivers, what should it be displayed as in device manager?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

crankyy

Oct 23, 2011
I've just reslised fbmode will not run ftom shell it comes up with an error

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Android Composite ADB Interface

Well that got it into fastboot but in "Device Manager" it came up as "Otter2-Prod-04" with a yellow exclamation mark.

It couldn't find the correct drivers, what should it be displayed as in device manager?

If you have installed the correct driver, you will see Android Composite ADB Interface

In the Windows Device Manager. If you need a driver, here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/usb_driver.zip is the latest ADB Composite Driver

Offered by Android SDK Community. This driver is Universal to over 1,000

Android Devices, including the Kindle Fire 2. If you do mind me asking

what are you trying to accomplish exactly?

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

I've just reslised fbmode will not run ftom shell it comes up with an error

Yes, I see. This is due to two problems:

1) Your ADB Composite Driver is not installed: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/usb_driver.zip

2) You do not have Root Permissions Installed on the Kindle Fire 2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117

crankyy

Oct 23, 2011
I will try the drivers you suggested but my KF2 is definatly rooted

crankyy

Oct 23, 2011
I've made a little progress, I tried the drivers above but the only way I could make them install was to edit the android_winusb.inf but they detected the device as a Samsung Android Phone, I tested with KFU and still no joy, so I uninstalled.

I then decided to follow the Amazon step-by-step guide (https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html)

This gave me the newest drivers I've had, I then ran:

Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
adb shell
su
reboot bootloader

My KF2 went into Fastboot and windows installed a driver so I then saw an ADB device in Device Manager.

However KFU still will not run fbmode and I definatly have root access as I have the ability to push files to the root/change permissions in system etc.

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
I've made a little progress, I tried the drivers above but the only way I could make them install was to edit the android_winusb.inf but they detected the device as a Samsung Android Phone, I tested with KFU and still no joy, so I uninstalled.

I then decided to follow the Amazon step-by-step guide (https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html)

Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
adb shell
su
reboot bootloader

My KF2 went into Fastboot and windows installed a driver so I then saw an ADB device in Device Manager.

However KFU still will not run fbmode and I definatly have root access as I have the ability to push files to the root/change permissions in system etc.

When you say "KFU“ I hope you do not mean kindle fire utility. That program/tool is for the original kindle fire, you are lucky you have not gotten it to work. It will definitely brick your device should you successfully run it.

Sent from my KFJWI using xda premium

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Follow Up

Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
adb shell
su
reboot bootloader

crankyy,

This is why I keep asking "what are you trying to accomplish exactly"?

If I know, then we can give you exact step-by-step, thus get you back in

business. Onemeila is correct "I hope you do not mean Kindle Fire Utility....".

This utility will Brick your Kindle Fire 2, it was designed for the Kindle Fire HD 7"

ONLY. Do not attempt to PUSH the system.img from KFU, it will permanently

Brick your Kindle. So, what are you trying to accomplish, exactly?

i'm a noob, please go easy on me. (this is my first post)

i rooted my kindle 2 days ago with qemu and bin4ry root, then installed twrp recovery. being an idiot, i wiped the system before i put the cm10 zip on the kindle, so i had no os. i tried sideloading the cm10 file onto the kindle, but my computer would not recognize the ADB, even though it had drivers installed and was working previously when the kindle was in the normal boot mode.

i read in this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2117224) that you can put your kindle into fastboot mode from the twrp command prompt, so i did that, thinking that the adb drivers would work if it was in fastboot mode. they did not.

i have tried installing the adb drivers through the kfu, the android sdk, and every other way i have seen. when my kindle is plugged in, device manager calls it "otter2-prod-4" i have the fastboot with the blinking green light. i do not have a fastboot cable, though one is on its way. if i could get it to show up in adb, i could at least get it to boot into recovery and start again from there, but none of the methods i've seen are working for adb driver installation. can anyone help?

p.s. i am running windows 8 x64

ktron

Jan 8, 2013
Drivers ok, ADB doesn't show my KF2

Hi, my KF2 is bricked and i'm using a fastboot cable, i think the driver is ok but running the command adb devices i don't see any device connected.

edit

ktron

Jan 8, 2013
Right Driver / no devices attached

You are using a "fastboot" cable, aren't you? You may want to use fastboot commands as well.

I have the right driver but i don't see any device, how can you help me?

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\KFFirstAide100>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\KFFirstAide100>

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

crankyy,

This is why I keep asking "what are you trying to accomplish exactly"?

If I know, then we can give you exact step-by-step, thus get you back in

business. Onemeila is correct "I hope you do not mean Kindle Fire Utility....".

This utility will Brick your Kindle Fire 2, it was designed for the Kindle Fire HD 7"

ONLY. Do not attempt to PUSH the system.img from KFU, it will permanently

Brick your Kindle. So, what are you trying to accomplish, exactly?

Hi, i have the Fastboot cable, right driver but when i run the command Adb Devices i don't see my KF2, how can you help me??

List of devices attached

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
I have the right driver but i don't see any device, how can you help me?
List of devices attached

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Hi, i have the Fastboot cable, right driver but when i run the command Adb Devices i don't see my KF2, how can you help me??

List of devices attached

You quoted my post. Didn't you read it as well?

trikess

Oct 7, 2013
adb reboot bootloader

After I run adb shell su -c "reboot bootloader" it will put KF2 into fastboot mode and try to install usb drivers again and then fastboot can't find the device. The device is visible as a otter2-prod-04 in device manager. I've got windows 7 installed. Any idea appreciate it.

Thanks

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
If it still says otter2 then the drivers arent installed. Try updating the drivers to the ones in my signature, I believe I added kf2 support to them.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

miztaziggy

Mar 29, 2014
If it still says otter2 then the drivers arent installed. Try updating the drivers to the ones in my signature, I believe I added kf2 support to them.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Hi, this issue sounds just like the one I am having.

I have tried your drivers with no luck.

My KF2 shows up in device manager as OTTER2-PROD-04

And:
USB\VID_1949&PID_000A&REV_0100
USB\VID_1949&PID_000A

I took your drivers and copied them over the drivers in the programme files \ amazon \ drivers folder, rebooted and reconnected but still shows up as this OTTER2

:(