[GUIDE]-Updated 17March - Unlock/Root - Return to Stock/Unbrick - Nexus7 3G - 4.2.2

Search This thread
[GUIDE] UNLOCK - ROOT - RETURN TO STOCK and/ or UNBRICK your Nexus 7 3G “Nakasig- Tilapia” v4.2.2:cool:

- Disclaimer: I don't take any responsibility for anything you do to your tablet, which is to transform it into brick, break, or transform it into coffee machine -

Requirements:
1. You must have the sdk (ADT Bundle for Win) installed on your Pc and you are able to access, and use adb and fastboot.
NOTE: Notice the install location. This defaults to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk the platform tools (adb, fastboot) and usb drivers will be downloaded to this location. This will be referred to from here on as your sdk directory

But in case you haven't install all SDK, you can use only fastboot by the easy way.(Go here if you want to use the easy way to fastboot)

2. You must have ticked USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 3G

3 You must download and install - USB DRIVERS r_06 for Windows 7 & 8

4. Download one of both root-tool
CF- Auto-Root by Chainfire - Download link for Version Tilapia - Nakasig

or the Superboot r4 by Paul O’Brien - Actually I'm not sure if Superboot is functionnal for version 4.2.2 - I tested with my Grouper v4.2.2 and I stayed in Google screen with bootloop.

5. Download your recovery special for your Tilapia - Nakasig
CWM (Touch version or not)
TWRP - latest versions
ClockworkMod - Google Nexus 7 (GSM) - Superuser (fixed) for Android 4.2.
and rename your select with the name of the recovery image you chose to download.

6. The factory image for the Nexus 7 3G => 4.2.2 (JDQ39) - nakasig-jdq39-factory-0798439d.tgz - md5: ee8db1ed6ff1c007fe12136d4bc65cd8- size: 279.9MB - The Version Zip if you prefer

AND DON'T FORGET THAN IT'S BETTER FOR YOUR SPECIAL N7 3G+
TO USE THE SPECIAL RECOVERIES "TILAPIA - NAKASIG"
and NOT "GROUPER" WHICH ARE DIFFERENTS

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Pre-Steps
To make this easier,
1 - you should put the root-tool.zip selected on the folder “fastboot” (if you use the easy way - Goto post #2)
2 – You should put the recovery.img selected on the folder “fastboot”

UNLOCK YOUR NEXUS 7 3G+
To unlock your device, you must go to your bootloader. To do that, you have possibilities;
1. Turn your device on while pressing volume down
or
1. Connect your device and go to cmd terminal
Code:
> cd \Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools  (it's common localization for an auto install)
> adb devices
# the following output should be returned
List of devices attached
<device serial number>       device
2. Boot to the bootloader by use adb
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
or
2 Bis. Boot to the bootloader by use fastboot
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

3. Unlock your device* by
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
*You will have to accept and erase all of your data on the tablet.
You are unlocked :good:

By Fastboot only easy way - Unlock you device
Code:
C:\Users\Username>cd c:\fastboot
Code:
c:\fastboot>fastboot oem unlock

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

You can choose one of both recoveries - CWM or TWRP

Flash ClockworkMod Recovery as Permanent recovery
(You're still inside the bootloader and connected through the usb cable)

1. Flash CWM especially for your N7 3G
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-name of your recovery.img

To make CWM Permanent recovery
2. Boot into recovery by pressing “volume up” and when the menu says ‘recovery mode’ press the power button
3. Go to “Mounts and Storage” menu
4. select “mount system”
5. Type in cmd terminal
Code:
adb shell
cd /system
mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak
exit

If you having trouble gaining shell, try
Code:
adb kill-server
then
Code:
adb start-server
. And restart the lines command above
* For some people, it has been reported that you don't have to replace recovery-from-boot.bak. The flash is enough to make the recovery stick.

Flash TWRP as Permanent recovery

1. Flash TWRP especially for your N7 3G
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.4.4.0.img

To make TWRP Permanent recovery
2. Boot into recovery by pressing “volume up” and when the menu says ‘recovery mode’ press the power button
4. select “mount system”
5. Type in cmd terminal
Code:
adb shell
cd /system
exit

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage
- Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
- Extract the ZIP file (you will see - 2 folders=> images & tools and 3 files: root-windows // root-mac // root-linux)
- Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.
- Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
Code:
Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
Code:
chmod +x root-linux.sh
Code:
Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
Code:
chmod +x root-mac.sh
Code:
 Run root-mac.sh

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files,
and type
Code:
chmod +x superboot-mac.sh
followed by
Code:
./superboot-mac.sh

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files,
and type
Code:
chmod +x superboot-linux.sh
followed by
Code:
./superboot-linux.sh

RETURN TO STOCK and/or UNBRICK your N7 3G+
Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1. Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 3G=> 4.2.2 (JDQ39) - nakasig-jdq39-factory-0798439d.tgz - md5: ee8db1ed6ff1c007fe12136d4bc65cd8- size: 279.9MB - The Version Zip if you prefer

2. Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executables (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3. Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4. Type:
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-tilapia-4.18.img

5. Type:
Code:

6. Now type:
Code:
fastboot -w update image-nakasig-jdq39.zip

7. Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purposes, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type:
Code:
fastboot oem lock

8. If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, you can type
Code:
fastboot reboot

Well done. You should now be back on stock Android 4.2.2 :cool: ;)

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
These root tools are actually the easy way for rooting your device, so you can use them without problems.

For my part I’ve used
the easy way by my fastboot guide for unlock my device,
Adb lines command for flash TWRP as permanent recovery,

Thanks for @mateorod, @Chainfire, @paulobrien and all members who helps for the development about the Nexus 7 3G+

Last edited:
The EASY WAY TO USE FASTBOOT LINES COMMAND

HELP FOR FLASH MORE FASTER WHEN YOU USE FASTBOOT LINE COMMAND

If you have got a problem with your adb or fastboot or recovery....it's very simply and faster ;)
use this:
Download this file "fastboot.zip"
Install this file somewhere in one folder which is named "fastboot" on your PC
=> disk C: root
Unzipped this file on the folder "fastboot" and you will find 3 files:
- adb.exe
- AdbWinApi.dll
- fastboot.exe

and when you need to push something by the bootloader, you can use it.
Don't forget to push on this folder the file that you need. For exemple: boot.img or a recovery.img, etc...

The line command is :
Code:
c:\fastboot>
Enter
Code:
c:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Enter
If you want to flash the "recovery.img" file

If you want to know all lines of command
Code:
c:\fastboot>fastboot
Code:
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  continue                                 continue with autoboot
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
  help                                     show this help message

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
  -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default: 2048

piski93

Mar 13, 2011
Hello, this is my first post on xda.
When i tried use "adb fastboot bootloader" cmd say to me : no device. Where is problem?

Hello, this is my first post on xda.
When i tried use "adb fastboot bootloader" cmd say to me : no device. Where is problem?

Try the easy way on first
Use the post 2.
You can use it for all the install, except for for the permanent recovery where you will have to use ADB line command.
The best you can do, it's to use fastboot easy way and when you have finished, you learn and install correctly your sdk and check all your parameters. And when you will be ready you will be able to use adb lines command easily to install your recovery in a permanent way.

It's too long for a course about sdk, the best you can do it's to to search and read. Go to my index, and read the General guides ;)

znejk

Mar 31, 2011
Dalby
Gonna try this later today. Though something is a bit fishy. :) When I use adb from the fastboot.zip it can't find my device but from the platform-tools dir it seems to work fine. Are they different versions? How big risk is it to brick the device while unlocking/rooting and installing recovery? Pls tell me its unbrickable. ;) cheers

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2

Gonna try this later today. Though something is a bit fishy. :) When I use adb from the fastboot.zip it can't find my device but from the platform-tools dir it seems to work fine. Are they different versions? How big risk is it to brick the device while unlocking/rooting and installing recovery? Pls tell me its unbrickable. ;) cheers
I can't says it's unbrickable !!!
The differences between these versions is:
If you use sdk/platform tools it's the more complete install and the easy way for fastboot, that just if you need to use fastboot line command, but it's not more complete for using with adb lines command.
If you go to the post 2, you will see all the lines command for fastboot.

If your sdk install is correct, you can use it without problems.
The easy way by fastboot is just a shotcut ;)

znejk

Mar 31, 2011
Dalby
I can't says it's unbrickable !!!
The differences between these versions is:
If you use sdk/platform tools it's the more complete install and the easy way for fastboot, that just if you need to use fastboot line command, but it's not more complete for using with adb lines command.
If you go to the post 2, you will see all the lines command for fastboot.

If your sdk install is correct, you can use it without problems.
The easy way by fastboot is just a shotcut ;)

I tried and everything seemed to work fine ... i Unlocked/flashed twrp then "mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak" didnt work cause it couldnt find the file... :/ i continued and flashed superboot and it seemed to work fine. Downloaded latest cm and gapps rebooted inte recovery and flashed them. Now I only have bootloop with cm10.1...

I know it aint bricked cause I think I can get into bootloader. :)

Edit: After a factory reset it worked! :>

Last edited:

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
How big risk is it to brick the device while unlocking/rooting and installing recovery? Pls tell me its unbrickable. ;) cheers

The Nexus7 is very difficult to brick. It still is possible, but as far as I know there is only one way to do it - remove or destroy the bootloader.

Under normal circumstances, the only time you do anything with the bootloader is unlocking/locking it, which simply does a minor modification. That's perfectly fine. And the normal custom-recovery/root process doesn't touch it, so that's fine too. Doing system updates (even legit OTA ones) might upgrade the bootloader, as might flashing custom roms. But as long as you don't interrupt the process during that critical step, it should be OK.

So outside of erasing the bootloader or flashing a completely incompatible bootloader and rebooting, your N7 should be safe.

Reactions: PVL_93_RU
Oct 15, 2012
Mysore
adb command line Linux support

Hi All,

Am new to this forum and also to my newly bought N73G. So I am unsure about the complete process though explained step by step. One thing that i wanted to confirm was Does ADT Bundle for linux work the same as that of windows? Cause I run the same on my PC; these command line instructions would they work the same way on Linux terminal?

foxstam

Oct 31, 2007
Athens
Is there any solution for unlock and root Nexus 7 3G only with Apple Mac assistance? Thank you in advance!!!

elelab

Jan 20, 2013
I'm not sure which recovery images should be downloaded.

Is this one correct? - recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.3.2.1.img

what does this mean? "rename your select with the name of the recovery image you chose to download."

quote:

Requirements:
4. Download:
CWM (Touch version or not) or TWRP and rename your select with the name of the recovery image you chose to download.

thanks

I'm not sure which recovery images should be downloaded.
Is this one correct? - recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.3.2.1.img
what does this mean? "rename your select with the name of the recovery image you chose to download."

Requirements:
4. Download:
CWM (Touch version or not) or TWRP and rename your select with the name of the recovery image you chose to download.

Yes, you can use the recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.3.2.1.img without problem

and when I writes "rename your select with the name of the recovery image you chose to download", I mean that you can rename the IMG file by "recovery" simply. It's more faster.

elelab

Jan 20, 2013
minimum steps to root Nexus7(3G) - for beginners

confused by too much info. on how to root Nexus 7

can this be as simple as:
1 unlock
2 root

question:
1. unlock step - erase all of your data on the tablet
If I don't care my data (I just bought it), after unlocking, can Nexus start as normal?

2. Why do we need flash the recovery?

"Pre-Steps
To make this easier,
1 - ...
2 – You should put the recovery.img selected on the folder “fastboot” (if you use the easy way - Goto post #2)

" fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.3.2.1.img"

does "recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.3.2.1.img" mean the "recovery.img"?

thanks

Last edited:
confused by too much info. on how to root Nexus 7
can this be as simple as:
1 unlock
2 root
question:
1. unlock step - erase all of your data on the tablet
If I don't care my data (I just bought it), after unlocking, can Nexus start as normal?
2. Why do we need flash the recovery?
Answers:
1 - Yes, the advert is clear, all of your data will be erased !
2 - If you want to flash a rom custom, you need a recovery

"Pre-Steps
To make this easier,
1 - ...
2 – You should put the recovery.img selected on the folder “fastboot” (if you use the easy way - Goto post #2)
" fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.3.2.1.img"
does "recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.3.2.1.img" mean the "recovery.img"?
Yes, it's correct. it's more faster to write: "recovery.img" than "recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.3.2.1.img".
It's the same file, just rename.
This has no effect on the recovery flash

Nov 6, 2011
Re: [GUIDE] - Updated 08 Feb - Unlock and Root a Nexus7 3G “Nakasig- Tilapia”

I received 4.2.2 update today. I haven't installed it for fear of losing root. Should i repeat the procedure to root again after updating my n7. Will i again loose my data? Or the bootloader will remain unlocked? Please help

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

psafx

Sep 9, 2008
I received 4.2.2 update today. I haven't installed it for fear of losing root. Should i repeat the procedure to root again after updating my n7. Will i again loose my data? Or the bootloader will remain unlocked? Please help

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

I can flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip in CWM/TWRP recovery to get root after update from 4.2.1
You will not loose any data.
Your bootloader will upgrade to 4.18 and still unlocked.

Reactions: sukhjit_bhullar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] UNLOCK - ROOT - RETURN TO STOCK and/ or UNBRICK your Nexus 7 3G “Nakasig- Tilapia” v4.2.2:cool:

- Disclaimer: I don't take any responsibility for anything you do to your tablet, which is to transform it into brick, break, or transform it into coffee machine -

Requirements:
    1. You must have the sdk (ADT Bundle for Win) installed on your Pc and you are able to access, and use adb and fastboot.
    NOTE: Notice the install location. This defaults to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk the platform tools (adb, fastboot) and usb drivers will be downloaded to this location. This will be referred to from here on as your sdk directory

But in case you haven't install all SDK, you can use only fastboot by the easy way.(Go here if you want to use the easy way to fastboot)

2. You must have ticked USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 3G

3 You must download and install - USB DRIVERS r_06 for Windows 7 & 8

4. Download one of both root-tool
    CF- Auto-Root by Chainfire - Download link for Version Tilapia - Nakasig

or the Superboot r4 by Paul O’Brien - Actually I'm not sure if Superboot is functionnal for version 4.2.2 - I tested with my Grouper v4.2.2 and I stayed in Google screen with bootloop.

5. Download your recovery special for your Tilapia - Nakasig
    CWM (Touch version or not)
    TWRP - latest versions
    ClockworkMod - Google Nexus 7 (GSM) - Superuser (fixed) for Android 4.2.
    and rename your select with the name of the recovery image you chose to download.

6. The factory image for the Nexus 7 3G => 4.2.2 (JDQ39) - nakasig-jdq39-factory-0798439d.tgz - md5: ee8db1ed6ff1c007fe12136d4bc65cd8- size: 279.9MB - The Version Zip if you prefer

AND DON'T FORGET THAN IT'S BETTER FOR YOUR SPECIAL N7 3G+
    TO USE THE SPECIAL RECOVERIES "TILAPIA - NAKASIG"
    and NOT "GROUPER" WHICH ARE DIFFERENTS

Pre-Steps
    To make this easier,
    1 - you should put the root-tool.zip selected on the folder “fastboot” (if you use the easy way - Goto post #2)
    2 – You should put the recovery.img selected on the folder “fastboot”

UNLOCK YOUR NEXUS 7 3G+
    To unlock your device, you must go to your bootloader. To do that, you have possibilities;
    1. Turn your device on while pressing volume down
    or
    1. Connect your device and go to cmd terminal
    Code:
    > cd \Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools  (it's common localization for an auto install)
    > adb devices
    # the following output should be returned
    List of devices attached
    <device serial number>       device
    2. Boot to the bootloader by use adb
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    or
    2 Bis. Boot to the bootloader by use fastboot
    Code:

3. Unlock your device* by
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    *You will have to accept and erase all of your data on the tablet.
    You are unlocked :good:

By Fastboot only easy way - Unlock you device
    Code:
    C:\Users\Username>cd c:\fastboot
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot oem unlock

You can choose one of both recoveries - CWM or TWRP

Flash ClockworkMod Recovery as Permanent recovery

1. Flash CWM especially for your N7 3G
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-name of your recovery.img

To make CWM Permanent recovery
    4. select “mount system”
    5. Type in cmd terminal
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd /system
    exit

If you having trouble gaining shell, try
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    then
    Code:
    adb start-server
    . And restart the lines command above
    * For some people, it has been reported that you don't have to replace recovery-from-boot.bak. The flash is enough to make the recovery stick.

Flash TWRP as Permanent recovery

1. Flash TWRP especially for your N7 3G
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.4.4.0.img

To make TWRP Permanent recovery
    4. select “mount system”
    5. Type in cmd terminal
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd /system
    exit

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage
    - Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
    - Extract the ZIP file (you will see - 2 folders=> images & tools and 3 files: root-windows // root-mac // root-linux)
    - Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.
    - Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
    Code:
    Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
    Code:
    chmod +x root-linux.sh
    Code:
    Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
    Code:
    chmod +x root-mac.sh
    Code:
     Run root-mac.sh

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files,
    and type
    Code:
    chmod +x superboot-mac.sh
    followed by
    Code:
    ./superboot-mac.sh

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files,
    and type
    Code:
    chmod +x superboot-linux.sh
    followed by
    Code:
    ./superboot-linux.sh

RETURN TO STOCK and/or UNBRICK your N7 3G+
    Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1. Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 3G=> 4.2.2 (JDQ39) - nakasig-jdq39-factory-0798439d.tgz - md5: ee8db1ed6ff1c007fe12136d4bc65cd8- size: 279.9MB - The Version Zip if you prefer

2. Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executables (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3. Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4. Type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-tilapia-4.18.img

5. Type:
    Code:

6. Now type:
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasig-jdq39.zip

7. Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purposes, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8. If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, you can type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Well done. You should now be back on stock Android 4.2.2 :cool: ;)

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    These root tools are actually the easy way for rooting your device, so you can use them without problems.

For my part I’ve used
    the easy way by my fastboot guide for unlock my device,
    Adb lines command for flash TWRP as permanent recovery,

Thanks for @mateorod, @Chainfire, @paulobrien and all members who helps for the development about the Nexus 7 3G+
    The EASY WAY TO USE FASTBOOT LINES COMMAND

HELP FOR FLASH MORE FASTER WHEN YOU USE FASTBOOT LINE COMMAND

If you have got a problem with your adb or fastboot or recovery....it's very simply and faster ;)
    use this:
    Download this file "fastboot.zip"
    Install this file somewhere in one folder which is named "fastboot" on your PC
    => disk C: root
    Unzipped this file on the folder "fastboot" and you will find 3 files:
    - adb.exe
    - AdbWinApi.dll
    - fastboot.exe

and when you need to push something by the bootloader, you can use it.
    Don't forget to push on this folder the file that you need. For exemple: boot.img or a recovery.img, etc...

The line command is :
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>
    Enter
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Enter
    If you want to flash the "recovery.img" file

If you want to know all lines of command
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot
    Code:
    usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
      update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
      flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
      flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
      erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
      getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
      boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
      flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
      devices                                  list all connected devices
      continue                                 continue with autoboot
      reboot                                   reboot device normally
      reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
      help                                     show this help message

options:
      -w                                       erase userdata and cache
      -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
      -p <product>                             specify product name
      -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
      -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
      -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
      -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default: 2048
    Hi i am new here , sorry but cant seem to find anywhere how to flash the binaries N7 3g 4.2.2 , they are tgz files not zip or img files , so how do we flash tgz files ,could someone tell please ?
    Go to the index for the N7 3G and search a little, you will find the zip version ;)
    and go to the second post, you will find the instructions for install

If you search and read a little bit, it will be better for all ;)
    Reserved in case ;)
    How big risk is it to brick the device while unlocking/rooting and installing recovery? Pls tell me its unbrickable. ;) cheers

The Nexus7 is very difficult to brick. It still is possible, but as far as I know there is only one way to do it - remove or destroy the bootloader.

Under normal circumstances, the only time you do anything with the bootloader is unlocking/locking it, which simply does a minor modification. That's perfectly fine. And the normal custom-recovery/root process doesn't touch it, so that's fine too. Doing system updates (even legit OTA ones) might upgrade the bootloader, as might flashing custom roms. But as long as you don't interrupt the process during that critical step, it should be OK.

So outside of erasing the bootloader or flashing a completely incompatible bootloader and rebooting, your N7 should be safe.