5,600,664 Members 37,503 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Tip us?

CoyoteKeith
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
unfoldyourwings,

We overshot ADB, please do:

Code:
cd //
cd /Users/gamzez/Downloads
cd Apple64
Then do:

Code:
./stuff/adb kill-server
./stuff/adb start-server
./stuff/adb devices
If you see a serial number (if you do see a serial number after "./stuff/adb devices" then reboot the Kindle and the Apple, wait 3 minutes and start this process over) proceed:

Code:
./stuff/adb install suchecker.apk
./stuff/adb reboot
IT WORKED

Thank you guys so much for your hard work and dedication to getting these scripts working for us Mac users. YOU'RE AWESOME!

Keith

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937

DONATE TO ME
Default How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteKeith View Post
IT WORKED

Thank you guys so much for your hard work and dedication to getting these scripts working for us Mac users. YOU'RE AWESOME!

Keith
CoyoteKeith,

We have to say, this was a challenging one, since the process worked flawlessly for a couple of months. Sometimes you have to change the software to make it work. In your case, it took a number of changes to the software and to the actual method used but through your perseverance we finally got it done together.

Thank you very much for your hard work and efforts, this will make it much smoother for people in the future.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)

The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!

prokennexusa
Old
Thanks Meter 937

DONATE TO ME
Default Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
Chris,
First off, thankyou for this post, I have been struggling with rooting my kindle for quite a while now.
I am on ubuntu/linux, messing with a kindle 2...
So this is my problem;

Im hoping this isnt because of something I had previously done. Any ideas?
Dawson,

Have you downloaded the latest copy of our software released today 02/10/2013? If no, go to the main page and check the reduced steps - be sure to refresh your browser so you see the latest information, OK? You will see some changes to the software, so download the correct package for your platform. Also, be sure you update Java per the new instructions. Once you do this the Root process is really smooth.

unfoldyourwings
Old
(Last edited by unfoldyourwings; 14th February 2013 at 12:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
unfoldyourwings,

We overshot ADB, please do:

Code:
cd //
cd /Users/gamzez/Downloads
cd Apple64
Then do:

Code:
./stuff/adb kill-server
./stuff/adb start-server
./stuff/adb devices
If you see a serial number (if you do see a serial number after "./stuff/adb devices" then reboot the Kindle and the Apple, wait 3 minutes and start this process over) proceed:

Code:
./stuff/adb install suchecker.apk
./stuff/adb reboot
Code:
Last login: Thu Feb 14 13:27:49 on ttys000
localhost:~ gamzez$ cd //
localhost:// gamzez$ cd /Users/gamzez/Downloads
localhost:Downloads gamzez$ cd Apple64
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$ ./stuff/adb kill-server
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$ ./stuff/adb start-server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$ ./stuff/adb devices./stuff/adb install suchecker.apk
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

-d                            - directs command to the only connected USB device
                                 returns an error if more than one USB device is present.
 -e                            - directs command to the only running emulator.
                                 returns an error if more than one emulator is running.
 -s <specific device>          - directs command to the device or emulator with the given
                                 serial number or qualifier. Overrides ANDROID_SERIAL
                                 environment variable.
 -p <product name or path>     - simple product name like 'sooner', or
                                 a relative/absolute path to a product
                                 out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.
                                 If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT
                                 environment variable is used, which must
                                 be an absolute path.
 devices [-l]                  - list all connected devices
                                 ('-l' will also list device qualifiers)
 connect <host>[:<port>]       - connect to a device via TCP/IP
                                 Port 5555 is used by default if no port number is specified.
 disconnect [<host>[:<port>]]  - disconnect from a TCP/IP device.
                                 Port 5555 is used by default if no port number is specified.
                                 Using this command with no additional arguments
                                 will disconnect from all connected TCP/IP devices.

device commands:
  adb push <local> <remote>    - copy file/dir to device
  adb pull <remote> [<local>]  - copy file/dir from device
  adb sync [ <directory> ]     - copy host->device only if changed
                                 (-l means list but don't copy)
                                 (see 'adb help all')
  adb shell                    - run remote shell interactively
  adb shell <command>          - run remote shell command
  adb emu <command>            - run emulator console command
  adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
  adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
                                 forward specs are one of: 
                                   tcp:<port>
                                   localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
                                   localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
                                   localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
                                   dev:<character device name>
                                   jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
  adb jdwp                     - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport
  adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] [--algo <algorithm name> --key <hex-encoded key> --iv <hex-encoded iv>] <file>
                               - push this package file to the device and install it
                                 ('-l' means forward-lock the app)
                                 ('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data)
                                 ('-s' means install on SD card instead of internal storage)
                                 ('--algo', '--key', and '--iv' mean the file is encrypted already)
  adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
                                 ('-k' means keep the data and cache directories)
  adb bugreport                - return all information from the device
                                 that should be included in a bug report.

adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-shared|-noshared] [-all] [-system|-nosystem] [<packages...>]
                               - write an archive of the device's data to <file>.
                                 If no -f option is supplied then the data is written
                                 to "backup.ab" in the current directory.
                                 (-apk|-noapk enable/disable backup of the .apks themselves
                                    in the archive; the default is noapk.)
                                 (-shared|-noshared enable/disable backup of the device's
                                    shared storage / SD card contents; the default is noshared.)
                                 (-all means to back up all installed applications)
                                 (-system|-nosystem toggles whether -all automatically includes
                                    system applications; the default is to include system apps)
                                 (<packages...> is the list of applications to be backed up.  If
                                    the -all or -shared flags are passed, then the package
                                    list is optional.  Applications explicitly given on the
                                    command line will be included even if -nosystem would
                                    ordinarily cause them to be omitted.)

adb restore <file>           - restore device contents from the <file> backup archive

adb help                     - show this help message
  adb version                  - show version num

scripting:
  adb wait-for-device          - block until device is online
  adb start-server             - ensure that there is a server running
  adb kill-server              - kill the server if it is running
  adb get-state                - prints: offline | bootloader | device
  adb get-serialno             - prints: <serial-number>
  adb get-devpath              - prints: <device-path>
  adb status-window            - continuously print device status for a specified device
  adb remount                  - remounts the /system partition on the device read-write
  adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the bootloader or recovery program
  adb reboot-bootloader        - reboots the device into the bootloader
  adb root                     - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
  adb usb                      - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
  adb tcpip <port>             - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on the specified port
networking:
  adb ppp <tty> [parameters]   - Run PPP over USB.
 Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
 <tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
 [parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
  <localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be updated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
    is updated.

environmental variables:
  ADB_TRACE                    - Print debug information. A comma separated list of the following values
                                 1 or all, adb, sockets, packets, rwx, usb, sync, sysdeps, transport, jdwp
  ANDROID_SERIAL               - The serial number to connect to. -s takes priority over this if given.
  ANDROID_LOG_TAGS             - When used with the logcat option, only these debug tags are printed.
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$ ./stuff/adb reboot
localhost:Apple64 gamzez$

prokennexusa
Old
Thanks Meter 937

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide MAJOR UPDATE 02/14/2013 at 21:48 Rev4.2.22

We have 26 functions at the moment in our software, the software is growing at a rate of 1 to 2 options a day.

OK, now to the new release: Official Major Release Dated 02/14/2013 at 21:48 Rev 4.2.22-

Kindle Fire First Aide Universal Package: KFFirstAide.zip

Kindle Fire First Aide 32-bit Optimized Version: KFFirstAide32.zip

Kindle Fire First Aide 64-bit Optimized Version: KFFirstAide64.zip

Kindle Fire First Aide RunMe Update (Included With The Above Packages): RunMe.zip

Make sure the PC has the latest version of Java SE: Java SE Development Kit 7u13

Our software has an option to wipe the Dalvik Cache and user data. Let us know if there are any errors during the installation

baif_fr
Old
(Last edited by baif_fr; 16th February 2013 at 06:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Root, but Google market does not work ...

Kindle Fire HD 7" v7.2.3 / Ubuntu '12 .04 Linux 32

First of all, thank you for your extraordinary work and the availability and accuracy of your support. Naturally I hope that you will give a little indulgence and availability to a poor frenchie through google to translate, if not understand
Thanks to your instructions, after several trial and error because my English fails, simply run "Linux 32-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux32.zip 'I got to the stage where I could launch' Root Check Basic 'on my KHDF7 that seemed happy to meet me 'Congratulations! Has This device root access! "
Effectively by ES File Explorer, I can go back to the root of my system and see the files, etc. mnt root system ... '

But when I try to load an application on Google market it closes without warning and loading remains stop;

Where did I miss a step?

I confess that all happy with my 'root' I am not yet passed the stage 'B) Finally, let's disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Updates so your hard work is not destroyed, I'm stuck on what because I do not see a tutorial for Ubuntu Linux.
Thank you for your help.

unfoldyourwings
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
OTA Step 1: [HOW TO] Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version
Quote:
Next, move onto our How to: Install Google Play Step-by-Step Thread.
Both of them are for Windows. How can I do it via Mac? I want the Google Play Store and Jelly Bean ( I hate the Amazon Display + I can't download every Apps I would like to). How do I get them after rooting my Kindle? I'm now at Step B).

baif_fr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Red face Génial

Quote:
Originally Posted by baif_fr View Post
Kindle Fire HD 7" v7.2.3 / Ubuntu '12 .04 Linux 32

First of all, thank you for your extraordinary work and the availability and accuracy of your support. Naturally I hope that you will give a little indulgence and availability to a poor frenchie through google to translate, if not understand
Thanks to your instructions, after several trial and error because my English fails, simply run "Linux 32-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux32.zip 'I got to the stage where I could launch' Root Check Basic 'on my KHDF7 that seemed happy to meet me 'Congratulations! Has This device root access! "
Effectively by ES File Explorer, I can go back to the root of my system and see the files, etc. mnt root system ... '

But when I try to load an application on Google market it closes without warning and loading remains stop;

Where did I miss a step?

I confess that all happy with my 'root' I am not yet passed the stage 'B) Finally, let's disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Updates so your hard work is not destroyed, I'm stuck on what because I do not see a tutorial for Ubuntu Linux.
Thank you for your help.
Finally,
I put everything in place according to your specifications by the manual method. I must say that the result is great especially considering the price of the Kindle Fire HD bought in France by Amazon.
But a question I have been able to avoid paying Amazon to remove the advertising?
That does not stop me from giving you a gift but I would gladly rose that I have to pay Amazon.

mindmajick
Old
Thanks Meter 2723

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Ver

Ubuntu Touch dev preview is coming out Thursday February 21st.

Does that mean we will get some love soon?

--
Sent from my Kindle Fire 2, CM 10.1

MrGrieves09
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello,

Thanks for all your great job ! I've been watching this thread for a couple of days and I'm quite interested in rooting my girlfriend's Kindle Fire (not the HD one).

As a newbie, I'm a bit scared with this work. What worst can happen to the kindle ? Is there a chance it get locked if I do something wrong (except switching it off at the bad moment, of course) ? Or it just won't work.

Thank you for your replies !

Cédric

Tags
how to root the kindle fire hd, root kindle fire hd, root kindle fire hd with a mac, root kindle fire hd with linux, root the kindle fire