5,595,570 Members 46,092 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Tip us?
 
prokennexusa
Old
#11  
prokennexusa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937
Posts: 2,637
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Petaluma

 
DONATE TO ME
Question Follow Up - Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwil View Post
Thanks for posting this. I'm stuck at this step:

shell@android:/ $ echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied

I did the earlier step of removing /data/local/tmp and symlinking /data/.

The data directory is owned by the system user:

130|shell@android:/ $ ll
drwxr-xr-x root root 2012-12-31 22:59 acct
drwxrwx--- system cache 2012-12-22 01:17 cache
dr-x------ root root 2012-12-31 22:59 config
lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-12-31 22:59 d -> /sys/kernel/debug
drwxrwx--x system system 2012-09-28 11:57 data

I tried chown and chmod, but apparently those commands aren't available in the android shell.

Any suggestions?
rwil,

Did the new steps allow you to successfully Root the Kindle? We do offer free phone support

if you have not been able to achieve Root. Let me know what happened and how we can

improve this How to:
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)


The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Skype: prokennexusa (Online 10am to 2am PST)
Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!
 
rwil
Old
#12  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Yes, I was able to finally get it rooted. One thing I had to do was use the adb executable you posted instead of the one from Bin4ry. That one stalled at the intial stage saying it was waiting for the device.
 
Drewski35
Old
#13  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default binary file issue

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 4: Open up a Terminal, at the Terminal window ($ command prompt) type:

Code:
su -
Enter your Root Password if requested to do so. You should now see a # at the command prompt.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Download Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 6: Unzip Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7: Copy the entire contents of Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed to /Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ (Step 1 install path).

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7.1: Next go back to the open command prompt, at the /Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17/# enter:

Code:
chmod 777 RunMe.sh
sh RunMe.sh
Choose option 1, Run Normal Method and ignore errors. Pay attention, you will need to answer "Restore" a dialogue box on the Kindle. Click on Restore. When the program has completed, the Kindle will Reboot.

The forum notes can be found here: Root MANY ANDROID! Forum.


OK... I am having trouble running the above code "chmod 777 RunMe.sh" and "sh RunMe.sh". The terminal file begins, I select option 1, and nothing happens on my Kindle Fire HD 7. I do not get a "restore" option on the KFHD7. In the terminal window I get many errors stating "cannot execute binary file" the script runs to the end with several cannot execute binary file errors. Also, while in su (root#) in terminal, I ran ./adb devices and the device does show. I am obviously missing something....

Thanks for any assistance....
 
prokennexusa
Old
#14  
prokennexusa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937
Posts: 2,637
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Petaluma

 
DONATE TO ME
Prompt ADB Communication Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski35 View Post
Root Kindle Fire HD Step 4: Open up a Terminal, at the Terminal window ($ command prompt) type:

Code:
su -
Enter your Root Password if requested to do so. You should now see a # at the command prompt.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Download Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 6: Unzip Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7: Copy the entire contents of Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed to /Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ (Step 1 install path).

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7.1: Next go back to the open command prompt, at the /Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17/# enter:

Code:
chmod 777 RunMe.sh
sh RunMe.sh
Choose option 1, Run Normal Method and ignore errors. Pay attention, you will need to answer "Restore" a dialogue box on the Kindle. Click on Restore. When the program has completed, the Kindle will Reboot.

The forum notes can be found here: Root MANY ANDROID! Forum.


OK... I am having trouble running the above code "chmod 777 RunMe.sh" and "sh RunMe.sh". The terminal file begins, I select option 1, and nothing happens on my Kindle Fire HD 7. I do not get a "restore" option on the KFHD7. In the terminal window I get many errors stating "cannot execute binary file" the script runs to the end with several cannot execute binary file errors. Also, while in su (root#) in terminal, I ran ./adb devices and the device does show. I am obviously missing something....

Thanks for any assistance....

Drewski35,

You did obtain the software from us, correct? We found a bug in the older version of the adb binary. The new

download includes updates that may solve your problem. Please go back and download Root MANY ANDROID!

The date and time on the new Binary is 01/02/2013 1:33 PM.

The problem with a Linux tutorial is there are many variables between platforms. An example is

to obtain Superuser on SuSe Linux, it is a simple su -, then you will be at the # (Root) command

prompt. In Ubuntu Linux you need to type sudo before every command that requires Superuser

Permissions. Having said this, these utilities need to run at Root or Superuser. Have you tried

sudo before every command? First update, then try again.



Update.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)


The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Skype: prokennexusa (Online 10am to 2am PST)
Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!
 
dannyben
Old
#15  
dannyben's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1541
Posts: 1,475
Join Date: May 2011
This work on a Mac? & 7.2.3?
Ive been unsuccessful until now with either Mac or Win.
Thanks
 
prokennexusa
Old
#16  
prokennexusa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937
Posts: 2,637
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Petaluma

 
DONATE TO ME
Prompt ADB Communication Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyben View Post
This work on a Mac? & 7.2.3?
Ive been unsuccessful until now with either Mac or Win.
Thanks
dannyben,

Have you tried out tutorial? We just posted new ADB Drivers with the tutorial, the links

are below. Try our steps again with the new driver, if you continue to have trouble, send

us a PM, we will call you and give you free phone support. We are usually able to resolve

the problem in less than a 30 minute call. Yes, this will work on MAC. Just make

sure you download the latest Android SDK included in the tutorial.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)


The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Skype: prokennexusa (Online 10am to 2am PST)
Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!
 
almosthalfwaythere
Old
#17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jan 2013
Would this work for the kindle fire hd 8.9?
 
prokennexusa
Old
#18  
prokennexusa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937
Posts: 2,637
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Petaluma

 
DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Root and Google Play for Amazon 8.9" Kindle Fire HD Software Version 7.2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by almosthalfwaythere View Post
Would this work for the kindle fire hd 8.9?
almosthalfwaythere,

Sorry for the delay, we have been busy today.

Yes, this works for the 8.9". If you get stuck, let us know.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)


The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Skype: prokennexusa (Online 10am to 2am PST)
Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!
 
josephcagle
Old
#19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jan 2013
I'm having this same exact error. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. I downloaded the latest version of everything and followed the latest instructions. It's Jan 4, 2013 now. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

I am using the sudo command each time.

But I get to this and get stuck...

shell@android:/ $ echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied

I noticed the other person who had this problem finally got it working. It's a failure for me.

Would like some help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
What version of Linux are you using? This is normally a permissions issue on the workstation.

Sometimes Ubuntu requires sudo before the adb statement. I am a bit concerned with the $ prompt

the prompt should be # but if you are on Ubuntu, sudo will solve your issue.
 
prokennexusa
Old
#20  
prokennexusa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937
Posts: 2,637
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Petaluma

 
DONATE TO ME
Prompt Root and Google Play for Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD Software Version 7.2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephcagle View Post
I'm having this same exact error. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. I downloaded the latest version of everything and followed the latest instructions. It's Jan 4, 2013 now. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

I am using the sudo command each time.

But I get to this and get stuck...

shell@android:/ $ echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied

I noticed the other person who had this problem finally got it working. It's a failure for me.

Would like some help here.
josephcagle,

When you run Root MANY ANDROID! Does the Kindle ask to be Restored? Do you click on

restore and let the software reboot the Kindle? I am turning in for the night, I have been working

for over 16 hours now. Let's connect tomorrow AM, will you be around about 11am PST GMT -8?

If yes, let's connect then, if that time does not work, what time works?
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)


The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Skype: prokennexusa (Online 10am to 2am PST)
Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!

Tags
how to root the kindle fire hd, root kindle fire hd, root kindle fire hd with a mac, root kindle fire hd with linux, root the kindle fire
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes