5,598,779 Members 34,201 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Developers

Tip us?

iytrix
Old
(Last edited by iytrix; 8th January 2013 at 03:30 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Default Developers

Is there anyone developing for the Kindle Fire 2?

As far as I can see, the answer is no but I'm not sure if you're all just been busy and work and don't have much to post yet.

If there is no dev team(s), or devs at all working towards getting this thing with a working Recovery and ROM, I will most likely put together a team this weekend.

Also, assuming there are devs, may you share any findings you have? Why or why not the recovery is being a difficult process and whatnot.

I will probably put together a team just in case, I just can't make promises until I meet this weekend and see if they want to work on this.

If/when i get a team I will make a thread for it and post any news updates as they happen. I really hope we can all get this thing cracked open soon!

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE!:

I hit reply instead of save, so I lost my post sadly, so bullet points!

-I could not contact the main dev.
-I do not plan on making a full dev team anytime soon.
-Powerpoint45 and Hashcode are making progress, moreso Powerpoint, although eventually it seems Hashcode plans to have a workaround, just no ETA or promises from him, but there is more hope than before!
-I will still help and try and offer advice to any newer people, I am not a dev, but I have a decent amount of experience that would be enough to help new people.

Good luck to all!

LegendaryCatalyst
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I too would like to know this. I don't have much but I would donate what I can to the first dev or team to get us past this locked bootloader.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

iytrix
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryCatalyst View Post
I too would like to know this. I don't have much but I would donate what I can to the first dev or team to get us past this locked bootloader.

Thanks I'll let you all know what gets decided this weekend. One coder agreed so far but their experience with Android is limited. The main person I have yet to talk to but he is the one that constantly messes with his android devices since android first came out. The issue is that he does not have a kindle fire, so I may have to buy them ones or lend mine to them to get the coding started.

LegendaryCatalyst
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have been flashing ROMs and whatnot for a couple years, done my vibrant, galaxy s2, and a few others, but have no coding or developing skills whatsoever. I imagine everyone starts somewhere but I don't have the slightest idea where to begin. I would love to learn though. A locked bootloader seems like a steep challenge compared to obtaining root or developing a ROM. I might be wrong in that regard too.

Antoine.WG
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Depends on how the bootloader is signed. The Motorola Droid and Droid X were relatively easy to crack but other devices may never be cracked without help from the manufacturer.

Redwolf379
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryCatalyst View Post
I have been flashing ROMs and whatnot for a couple years, done my vibrant, galaxy s2, and a few others, but have no coding or developing skills whatsoever. I imagine everyone starts somewhere but I don't have the slightest idea where to begin. I would love to learn though. A locked bootloader seems like a steep challenge compared to obtaining root or developing a ROM. I might be wrong in that regard too.

Since this device already has Root, I don't know that the bootloader will be an issue. The Gen 1 Kindle Fire has JellyBean running on it already so it may be a (somewhat) simple task to port that to the Gen 2. I'll have to pull it and see what may be device specific to get things running on the Gen 2, but it can be done. We'll need to first get a custom recovery going to allow the ROM to install.

This looks promising from the Gen 1 forum. Perhaps someone can reach out to the dev and see 1) if he's ok with us using it and 2) if he can help get it going on the Gen 2.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1399889

LaserChicken
Old
Thanks Meter 93
A locked bootloader generally means no custom kernels. Kexec is the only workaround (that I know of) other than unlocking, to start a new kernel . Root simply gives su access, it can't, in and of itself provide kernel customization.

Antoine.WG
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Didn't the recovery for the KFHD's get put on hold? The stock recoveries won't usually let you flash anything that's not signed.

I'm not a dev but it seems like porting the KF1 ROM over to the KF2 should be pretty easy. Other than the bootloader, the hardware changes were minor, just bumping the CPU/GPU up one model and doubling the RAM. Again, it all hinges on unlocking the bootloader or reverse engineering the key it's signed with. Anybody have access to Amazon's EC2 system?

iytrix
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine.WG View Post
Didn't the recovery for the KFHD's get put on hold? The stock recoveries won't usually let you flash anything that's not signed.

I'm not a dev but it seems like porting the KF1 ROM over to the KF2 should be pretty easy. Other than the bootloader, the hardware changes were minor, just bumping the CPU/GPU up one model and doubling the RAM. Again, it all hinges on unlocking the bootloader or reverse engineering the key it's signed with. Anybody have access to Amazon's EC2 system?
I just toured google today and made a new friend. He doesn't work on the android side, and that building is the most secure on the campus (That and the google+ are the only buildings regular employees can't enter fully without special permissions)

I am hoping he can introduce me to people on the android side of things and see if they would be willing to offer any insight that wouldn't involve an NDA heh.

Redwolf379
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserChicken View Post
A locked bootloader generally means no custom kernels. Kexec is the only workaround (that I know of) other than unlocking, to start a new kernel . Root simply gives su access, it can't, in and of itself provide kernel customization.
This is true, however the question was around custom ROMS, not kernels. You do not need a custom kernel to run a custom ROM, it's just nice to have the flexability.