Developers

OP iytrix

4th January 2013, 12:08 AM   |  #11  
Flag 12149
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
More
Has anyone tried a Kindle fire HD rom? I think the specs are identical except for the screen. I'll do a little research and see what I can do. I would like to see otg working on my son's 2nd generation fire. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by tjmack3rd; 4th January 2013 at 12:13 AM.
4th January 2013, 03:54 AM   |  #12  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 1,897

2,065 posts
Donate to Me
More
I might make a kf2 root app
The Following User Says Thank You to powerpoint45 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th January 2013, 04:14 AM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 45

228 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmack3rd

Has anyone tried a Kindle fire HD rom? I think the specs are identical except for the screen. I'll do a little research and see what I can do. I would like to see otg working on my son's 2nd generation fire. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

That's not quite how it works. I would also recommend to NOT TRY ANYTHING ON THE OTHER KINDLE FORUMS. If you check here, people have posted what works. I believe there is one guide for the basic rooting, and another for the steps on using root to make your Kindle do some decent stuff (new launchers, lockscreens, marketplace, all the good stuff!)

However, the issue with the KF2 is not really getting ROMs on, it's the step before it which is getting a working recovery so we can safely flash ROMs onto the device. Once that's done it shouldn't be hard to get a ROM, and it may be even possible to just use a KFHD ROM without any issues, BUT we need the recovery on here first, and getting around the locked bootloader.

To my all caps warning, just check the Q & A forums to see all the people who tried the recovery, rom, and rooting methods for their KF2. Most end up bricked.

If you are experienced in the sort of thing, go ahead and try at your own risk, just be careful. As you may notice, yes, most if not all (can't remember off the top of my head) of the methods we use to root ARE from the KFHD, so yes, some things do work, but way too many times I read about people that tried to put software that wasn't for the KF2 on it and it ends up bricked. Thankfully people seem to be fixing the bricked Kindles, but it's a very unfortunate experience people shouldn't have to go through.
The Following User Says Thank You to iytrix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th January 2013, 04:16 AM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 45

228 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpoint45

I might make a kf2 root app

Forgot to multi quote :\

This would be great I think! We have the tools so far, it's just that none have been made specifically for the KF2.

Good luck on the app as I'm sure many new KF2 users will appreciate it!
4th January 2013, 06:54 AM   |  #15  
Flag Mount Vernon, IA,USA
Thanks Meter: 188

288 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iytrix

That's not quite how it works. I would also recommend to NOT TRY ANYTHING ON THE OTHER KINDLE FORUMS. If you check here, people have posted what works. I believe there is one guide for the basic rooting, and another for the steps on using root to make your Kindle do some decent stuff (new launchers, lockscreens, marketplace, all the good stuff!)

However, the issue with the KF2 is not really getting ROMs on, it's the step before it which is getting a working recovery so we can safely flash ROMs onto the device. Once that's done it shouldn't be hard to get a ROM, and it may be even possible to just use a KFHD ROM without any issues, BUT we need the recovery on here first, and getting around the locked bootloader.

To my all caps warning, just check the Q & A forums to see all the people who tried the recovery, rom, and rooting methods for their KF2. Most end up bricked.

If you are experienced in the sort of thing, go ahead and try at your own risk, just be careful. As you may notice, yes, most if not all (can't remember off the top of my head) of the methods we use to root ARE from the KFHD, so yes, some things do work, but way too many times I read about people that tried to put software that wasn't for the KF2 on it and it ends up bricked. Thankfully people seem to be fixing the bricked Kindles, but it's a very unfortunate experience people shouldn't have to go through.

I burnt out my usb port trying to make a fastboot cable. I tied the wrong pin in... I'm waiting on my replacement. I'm going to try to use the revrom to get the cwm on my kf2 if that works, I'm sure we could get someone to make a touch cwm or twrp for the kfhd. If the kfhd cwm works, we could use the touch cwm/twrp. Perhaps it will need to be modified... perhaps not. I suspect that the cwm won't work perfectly and we need to modify it to use the correct partition table.

I should mention that using my current factory cable, I can get to fastboot. I just burnt out the data pin. I tried to use dd to flash the revboot stuff, but I forgot to do the part where you get past the locked bootloader... instabrick
Last edited by fmkilo; 4th January 2013 at 07:22 AM.
4th January 2013, 07:49 AM   |  #16  
Flag Dallas

2,065 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkilo

I burnt out my usb port trying to make a fastboot cable. I tied the wrong pin in... I'm waiting on my replacement. I'm going to try to use the revrom to get the cwm on my kf2 if that works, I'm sure we could get someone to make a touch cwm or twrp for the kfhd. If the kfhd cwm works, we could use the touch cwm/twrp. Perhaps it will need to be modified... perhaps not. I suspect that the cwm won't work perfectly and we need to modify it to use the correct partition table.

I should mention that using my current factory cable, I can get to fastboot. I just burnt out the data pin. I tried to use dd to flash the revboot stuff, but I forgot to do the part where you get past the locked bootloader... instabrick

I was trying to make a fb cable earlier today but the connectors were too hard to solder so I need a new cable to work with. I had same idea as u. Trying to boot into a recovery like cwm

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app
4th January 2013, 11:59 PM   |  #17  
Flag Dallas

2,065 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nvm
Last edited by powerpoint45; 5th January 2013 at 06:07 AM.
5th January 2013, 07:00 AM   |  #18  
Flag Mount Vernon, IA,USA
Thanks Meter: 188

288 posts
Donate to Me
More
you should be able to delete a post...
Last edited by fmkilo; 5th January 2013 at 09:03 AM.
5th January 2013, 04:50 PM   |  #19  
Flag Sleaford, Lincs
Thanks Meter: 169

613 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpoint45

I was trying to make a fb cable earlier today but the connectors were too hard to solder so I need a new cable to work with. I had same idea as u. Trying to boot into a recovery like cwm

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app

I bought one on eBay for 3 including free next day delivery. I'll try to find the link as he was selling lots and it was delivered fast (in UK).

EDIT :
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=140893291002

Sent using my Jelly fingers.
Last edited by chronicfathead; 5th January 2013 at 04:52 PM.
8th January 2013, 09:57 PM   |  #20  
Flag Cape Coral, FL
Thanks Meter: 2,935

3,630 posts
Donate to Me
More
Not devving yet, but as soon as we have our own recovery...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread