5,600,335 Members 35,354 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Note 2 Overheating Problem

Tip us?
 
Ookami999
Old
#21  
Ookami999's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 139
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdo9119 View Post
Does your upper half of the screen became hot also when you play NFS?
Yes. And the back around camera also. This is where CPU is located.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ookami999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
4e6a
Old
(Last edited by 4e6a; 28th January 2013 at 08:40 AM.)
#22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Nov 2010
What temperature have your note2 CPU after 15-30min playing "heavy" games (like NFS, N.O.V.A, etc)?
I looked at the CPU temperature (in "System Tuner Pro v2.5.9") after 15min playing "NFS: MW" - it was 62C. Upper half of the screen became very hot
And also after a four-minute HD-video recording the temperature rises to 51C.
In standby mode (display is turned off) the CPU temperature is about 40C.

It is normal or it would be better if I return my phone?
Confuse that after playing it is uncomfortable (for the ear) to make a call...
 
matzone
Old
#23  
Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 52
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4e6a View Post
What temperature have your note2 CPU after 15-30min playing "heavy" games (like NFS, N.O.V.A, etc)?
I looked at the CPU temperature (in "System Tuner Pro v2.5.9") after 15min playing "NFS: MW" - it was 62C. Upper half of the screen became very hot
And also after a four-minute HD-video recording the temperature rises to 51C.
In standby mode (display is turned off) the CPU temperature is about 40C.

It is normal or it would be better if I return my phone?
Confuse that after playing it is uncomfortable (for the ear) to make a call...
It is normal! No matter what ppl will say, you have a bad ass passive cooled QUAD processor in your phone and this behavior is to be expected from it. I have many phones in my life and indeed Samsungs tend to get hotter than other ones.
But to make your life easier... I also play the games you do and indeed it gets "very hot" and by that I mean imagine making a hot cup of tea and let it cool for 7-8 minutes...which is still hot. I left my phone playing by itself NFS from full charge till it batter emtpy. Never ever had an issue with it.
The basic principle remains. If the proc gets overheated (unless you are living on hawaii/mexico, playing NFS on the naked sun) overcooking the phone, it should still shut down by itself.

About the recoding part that might be correct as well. I am not sure which algorythm note 2 uses, but capturing the video and encoding it into .mp4 requires some serious processing power. (just try to encode some .mp4 on your desktop pc and see your i7 crank up to 100% and fans try to fly out your pc)
The Following User Says Thank You to matzone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
xartic12
Old
#24  
xartic12's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 263
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default Re: [Q] Note 2 Overheating Problem

Games tax your phone hard, even harder the better graphically it was made. The thing you should be worried about, is if your phone turns off while playing a game. That is overheating.

This reminds me of anyone who purchases a mac book pro with a dedicated GPU and complains when the laptop is scorching hot when they play games.
The Following User Says Thank You to xartic12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bushako
Old
#25  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 236
Posts: 974
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai
Default Re: [Q] Note 2 Overheating Problem

You could try under volting the processor and over clocking it at the same time so it takes less time to execute. Although to be honest this is very normal with quad core powered phones. With everything cramped up in a tight space and little to no air circulation it's bound to heat up.

Sent from the Rabbit Hole
Nexus 5 32GB, Mahdi Rom 2.5, Franco Kernel and FKU.
The Following User Says Thank You to bushako For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
4e6a
Old
#26  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Nov 2010
Thank you all for your answers!
 
takumibunta
Old
#27  
takumibunta's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 87
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default Re: [Q] Note 2 Overheating Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
You could try under volting the processor and over clocking it at the same time so it takes less time to execute. Although to be honest this is very normal with quad core powered phones. With everything cramped up in a tight space and little to no air circulation it's bound to heat up.

Sent from the Rabbit Hole
I also recommend to Undervolt your device... It will help...
And of course, if you using it to play games / do do some heavy CPU usage stuffs for a long time non stop, of course it will become hot again

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
 
abdo9119
Old
#28  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 29
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzone View Post
It is normal! No matter what ppl will say, you have a bad ass passive cooled QUAD processor in your phone and this behavior is to be expected from it. I have many phones in my life and indeed Samsungs tend to get hotter than other ones.
But to make your life easier... I also play the games you do and indeed it gets "very hot" and by that I mean imagine making a hot cup of tea and let it cool for 7-8 minutes...which is still hot. I left my phone playing by itself NFS from full charge till it batter emtpy. Never ever had an issue with it.
The basic principle remains. If the proc gets overheated (unless you are living on hawaii/mexico, playing NFS on the naked sun) overcooking the phone, it should still shut down by itself.

About the recoding part that might be correct as well. I am not sure which algorythm note 2 uses, but capturing the video and encoding it into .mp4 requires some serious processing power. (just try to encode some .mp4 on your desktop pc and see your i7 crank up to 100% and fans try to fly out your pc)
I have this weird issue the upper part of screen get really hooooooooot after playing only 10-15 mi I'm afraid that will damage my screen
 
karlada
Old
#29  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 88
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Beirut
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosieus View Post
hey guys, i have a similar heating problem with my note 2 but it occurred after i rooted my phone with the toolkit. the overheating happens while just using the internet browser. has anyone had this problem after root?

thanks in advance.
i have the same problem....
i use stock firmware... but just after rooting the phone i started experiencing the overheating... while chatting and messaging!! :/ i also rooted via toolkit
 
EarlZ
Old
#30  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 271
Posts: 5,658
Join Date: Jun 2010
The only thing that worries me about this heat is that a lot of it is getting dumped into the MicroSD.
Nexus 5 32GB D820
Stock ROM, Franco Kernel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes