This hack is due full credit to GitNick on irc.freenode.net #galaxy-note-2.. I packaged it into CASUAL format because I found it useful and needed it repeatedly. I've had it sitting on my desktop and rather than simply clean up and delete it, i figured I'd post it.
1. A windows, Linux, or Mac computer.
2. Ensure your Java is up-to-date
3. Your device must be rooted.
- Click Settings>Developer Options>Usb Debugging
- Plug your device into the computer
- click the Do It! button in CASUAL
- On your device, enable the Hidden Menus from the screen that pops up
- Click the Do It! button again
- Enjoy the hidden menus features
Download CASUAL GNote2 Hidden Menus
Thanks to AndrewZorn for this image:
For a full restore on Galaxy devices... say you wiped it somehow, which is totally possible with an unlocked IROM and I've done it. you need the EFS, mk9efs1, mk9efs2, and mk9efs3 partitions. The mk9efs partitions are used by the modem in order to authenticate it for the device. These partitions are required to prevent boot-looping after you enter Android. If someone decides to ditch their device, please post these files to help out others. I'm not enitrely sure if the mk9 files contain device specific information.
You will need to get a "stock" version of these files on a rooted device, "dd'd" over and then perform the IMEI change procedure below to have a fully operational device.
To restore your IMEI, follow the directions from <:GeeK:> adapted to work on this device.
1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.
Dial *#7284# Run the CASUAL above and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".
*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE
3) Create backup.
a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup
*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
*To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.
Dial *#7284# Run the CASUAL above and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".
Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.
IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?
Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!
1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.
2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.
This is a really simple CASUAL script:
shell "su -c am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://HIDDENMENUENABLE" shell "su -c am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://IOTHIDDENMENU"