Hidden Menu enabler tool + IMEI restore method

2nd January 2013, 03:32 AM   |  #1  
Introduction/Credit
This hack is due full credit to GitNick on irc.freenode.net #galaxy-note-2.. I packaged it into CASUAL format because I found it useful and needed it repeatedly. I've had it sitting on my desktop and rather than simply clean up and delete it, i figured I'd post it.

Prerequisites
1. A windows, Linux, or Mac computer.
2. Ensure your Java is up-to-date
3. Your device must be rooted.

Instructions
  1. Click Settings>Developer Options>Usb Debugging
  2. Plug your device into the computer
  3. click the Do It! button in CASUAL
  4. On your device, enable the Hidden Menus from the screen that pops up
  5. Click the Do It! button again
  6. Enjoy the hidden menus features

Download CASUAL GNote2 Hidden Menus

Thanks to AndrewZorn for this image:

For a full restore on Galaxy devices... say you wiped it somehow, which is totally possible with an unlocked IROM and I've done it. you need the EFS, mk9efs1, mk9efs2, and mk9efs3 partitions. The mk9efs partitions are used by the modem in order to authenticate it for the device. These partitions are required to prevent boot-looping after you enter Android. If someone decides to ditch their device, please post these files to help out others. I'm not enitrely sure if the mk9 files contain device specific information.

You will need to get a "stock" version of these files on a rooted device, "dd'd" over and then perform the IMEI change procedure below to have a fully operational device.

To restore your IMEI, follow the directions from <:GeeK:> adapted to work on this device.
Quote:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.

2) Dial *#7284# Run the CASUAL above and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Create backup.

a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup

*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
*To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.

4) Dial *#7284# Run the CASUAL above and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".

Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!

1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.

2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.

About
This is a really simple CASUAL script:
Code:
shell "su -c am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://HIDDENMENUENABLE"
shell "su -c am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://IOTHIDDENMENU"
I hope someone finds it useful.
Last edited by AdamOutler; 6th January 2013 at 06:52 AM.
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2013, 03:53 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

60 posts
Thank you. What are the menu options?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
2nd January 2013, 03:55 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

49 posts
and do u have to be on stock to get this or will any rom do

Sent from my unlocked and over clocked boss on beans
2nd January 2013, 04:00 AM   |  #4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydkoster

Thank you. What are the menu options?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

There's several. Try it and post a picture. I'll include it in the first post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikebball96

and do u have to be on stock to get this or will any rom do

You must be on a Touchwiz based ROM. Beans should work.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2013, 04:15 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 19

317 posts
It worked (I'm on Jelly 'Beans' Build 4), just don't really know if I need to change anything. Here's a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-01-23-12-53.jpg
Views:	80214
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1609900  
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewZorn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2013, 04:43 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,671

9,620 posts
If anyone wants it, here is an android version I whipped up that will also access the hidden menu. Just sideload, root access is not required. It should work on a factory stock device as well as rooted devices.
Attached Files
File Type: apk HiddenMenu_No_Root.apk - [Click for QR Code] (158.4 KB, 7911 views)
Last edited by adrynalyne; 3rd January 2013 at 06:39 PM.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2013, 04:52 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne

If anyone wants it, here is an android version that will also access the hidden menu. Just sideload--requires root.

wow. that was a lot easier than I thought. I hate casual. it takes forever to open and it doesn't close. I have to close it with task manager and for some reason it took away the X on my task manager and I can't get it back so whenever I use casual I have to restart my computer

3rd January 2013, 08:20 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 19

317 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikebball96

I hate casual. it takes forever to open and it doesn't close. I have to close it with task manager

I thought I was the only one.
3rd January 2013, 03:45 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 62

351 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne

If anyone wants it, here is an android version I whipped up that will also access the hidden menu. Just sideload--requires root.

I tried it I enabled codes click on launch its not doing anything

Sent from my SCH-I605 rooted unlocked running clean rom 3.5 red theme using xda premium
3rd January 2013, 04:21 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,671

9,620 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacedward

I tried it I enabled codes click on launch its not doing anything

Sent from my SCH-I605 rooted unlocked running clean rom 3.5 red theme using xda premium

Casual won't work either then. CleanRom has broken the ability to enable the dialer codes and hidden menu. I saw the same issue on IRC last night with someone else that is on CleanRom. If you are on a proper Verizon TW rom, this apk works.

Talk the CleanRom dev to fix it. In my experience, its a mismatch of apks from different versions and phones that has that effect.

If you want, try it via adb:

Code:
adb shell
su
am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://HIDDENMENUENABLE

It probably won't work for you on CleanRom though and that is the same method the apk is using.
Last edited by adrynalyne; 3rd January 2013 at 04:26 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread