Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 44,042 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Who actually likes their nexus 10

Tip us?

dale_cooper
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Default Who actually likes their nexus 10

I'm on the hunt for a nexus 10 at a local staples - the majority of posts I see in here are people bitching about performance issues and light bleed or other build quality problems. Meanwhile I do see posts about people absolutely in love with the N10 (rightfully so)

The light bleed thread seems like a nightmare - although people who RMA a device 6 times should really get a life and move on to a different product. Is the light bleed really a major issue or should I go ahead and buy one?

Sorry for the junk thread but I didn't see very many threads in here where people are actually giving credit to the N10 and singing praises. hard to guage the "fringe" vs "the average person's experience"

SteveRiley
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Alrighty...my Nexus 10 is fantastic. Staples followed through on their promised two-day delivery, I have no light bleed, and the thing hasn't crashed or rebooted once. I immediately installed Paranoid Android on the thing, didn't even once boot the stock JB it came with. Couldn't be happier.

raerae28
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I love mine, i have not had any issues. My battery life is really great, works awesome and i am on stock, with multiple users running.

EDNYLaw
Old
Thanks Meter 195
I love my Nexus. I had a Xoom WIFI (that is now the girlfriend's) that I loved and my Nexus blows it out of the water. I have Task650 and KToonsez's AOKP on there with KToonsez's KT Manta kernel and it's a beast. Combined with ES File Explorer, Netflix and Hulu the tablet is the ultimate portable media device as well as great for browsing and e-reading.
Like the fact that Verizon was fined $1.25 million for blocking tethering apps? That was due in part to my FCC Complaint. Join my website and participate in further discussions of legal topics concerning mobile technology and more!

Follow me on Twitter and Google+

Current Devices
Galaxy Nexus - AOKP PUB Builds and Franco's latest and greatest
Nexus 10 - AOKP PUB Builds and KToonsez KT Manta Kernel

Previous Devices
Droid, Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr
Xoom
The Following User Says Thank You to EDNYLaw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kleffman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Love it. I have a little light bleed and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't get why it matters I guess.

MrGrimace
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I love mine. It is flawless. 16GB from Google directly

Hiro11
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I really like mine (32gb, stock rom). The screen is amazing, especially with pages that have good text renderers. The tablet also has state-of-the-art performance in day-to-day use. No light bleed at all in mine. Native resolution apps are scarce on the ground, which is a bit of an issue but one that should be resolved shortly (I hope) as Android tablets seem primed to explode in popularity.

One annoying problem I've run into is Chrome's instability. Chrome has crashed at least once per day since I got it. When I say "crash", I mean full system lock-up, requiring a hard reboot. I've resorted to using Dolphin and Firefox with no problems. Google needs to fix tablet Chrome, though.

espionage724
Old
Thanks Meter 506

DONATE TO ME
I'm not too impressed with the (inevitable) thermal throttling that basically makes the advertised 1.7GHz dual-core speed, a lie :/ But, to be fair, most of what I do on the N10 works fine and performs just fine

But still... essentially not being able to run a demanding game for too long isn't impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
One annoying problem I've run into is Chrome's instability. Chrome has crashed at least once per day since I got it. When I say "crash", I mean full system lock-up, requiring a hard reboot. I've resorted to using Dolphin and Firefox with no problems. Google needs to fix tablet Chrome, though.
I've used Chrome for a while now on my tablet, with 0 crashes or system lockups, but have heard many stories of people mentioning Chrome crashing and etc. Not really too sure what I might be doing different though...

Device Ownership:

Current Devices:
None
Side Devices:
Nexus 7 (grouper) (franco.Kernel + Rasbeanjelly)
Galaxy Rush (SPH-M830) (Stock)

Ex Devices:
Galaxy Tab 7.0 (SGH-T849)
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113)
Galaxy Prevail (SPH-M820) (KoumaKernel + CTMod)
Nexus 4 (LGE960/mako) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber)
Nexus 10 (GT-P8110/manta) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber
The Following User Says Thank You to espionage724 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

digitalrelic
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Best tablet I've ever used. Screen quality is astounding, everything about it as as smooth as butter, web browsing with Ocean works like a dream, gaming on it is great, no lightbleed, and it's been stable as a rock. I literally couldn't be any happier with this tablet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digitalrelic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jotokun
Old
(Last edited by Jotokun; 2nd January 2013 at 06:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 229
I have to admit I"m only on day 2 of ownership so that may skew some things, but I absolutely adore mine. Its fast, the screen is amazing, and the build quality is quite good. Its easily the best tablet I've ever owned in every single category except battery life, and even there its not bad at all.

Do I have light bleed? Yes. However, I've gone through absolute hell with warranty repairs trying to get my previous HP Touchpad's light bleed fixed which eventually resulted in them cracking the screen and my successfully suing them in small claims court (For the crack which they claimed was my fault and warranty voiding, not the light bleed). Following that, I went through four Transformer Infinities, of which three had light bleed. Its just a defect common in IPS/PLS displays, through the three tablets I've owned (all of different manufactures) I've learned its completely unrealistic to expect a perfect one. If its not an absolutely horrible amount, live with it. If you cant, get an iPad or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the creaking back plastic? Yes. Every tablet made of plastic is going to have some problems. The speakers on the touchpad are notorious for cracking spontaneously. The Note 10.1 is so thin you can actually see it flex. With devices this big made of plastic, its unrealistic to not expect some sort of cheap feel. The Nexus 10 has it pretty good compared to some of the other tablets, so live with it if you can. If you cant, get a metal tablet or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the thermal throttling? I dont know yet. But realize you're running a 1.7Ghz processor in something slightly thicker than a ball point pen. Look in ANY desktop or laptop computer of equivalent speed (yes, I know x86 and ARM are not directly comparable, but go with it for this) and you'll find a massive heatsink and fan. The Nexus 10 does not have a fan because nobody would buy a tablet with such, and the heatsink is quite thin to keep the dimensions down. You still have one of the fastest tablets on the market. Think of the 1.7Ghz not as a top sustainable speed, but like the "Turboboost" mode on modern Intel i3/5/7 CPUs where it'll ramp up to that speed to complete a task as quickly as possible and then dial back to something more easily sustainable. I'll admit that Google should add something to Android where if it knows a game is running it limits its top speed to prevent this very throttling, but that's on Android and not the device itself. Throttle the CPU back yourself, live with it, or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

TL;DR: This is a good tablet computer. Like all tablet computers, or like anything really, you shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.
Current phone - Nexus 4 16GB (CM10.1 RC2)
Current Tablet - Nexus 10 32GB (CM10.1 Nightly)
Previous devices - Motofail Backflip (CM7.2 Stable), Motofail Atrix 4G (CM10), HP Touchpad (CM9), Asus Transformer TF700 + dock (rooted stock ICS), Nook Color (CM7.1), Samsung Blackjack II (WinMo 6.1)

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jotokun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]