(MOD) How to install Windows Stores apps on sd card

OP tamarasu

3rd January 2013, 05:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 43

23 posts
hey guys and gals,

We all know that the Surface has limited storage. I was messing around and found a quick change to a registry key that lets you change where windows store apps are stored when installed. Tested and working on my Surface 32gb. see below for the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Appx

change the key labeled PackageRoot to whatever directory you want, and all new apps will install in that directory.

Note: this does require that you change owner and permissions on the Appx registry folder so that you can edit the key. I have tested this will no ill effects.

You can also change the app repository to another directory by changing the PackageRepository key.

Test on a class 10 32gb card. Hope this helps!
Last edited by tamarasu; 7th January 2013 at 03:11 AM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to tamarasu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2013, 05:46 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,708

5,731 posts
More
Ahh, good find. I just used a symbolic link (which has the advantage of moving existing apps without breaking anything) but your approach is probably easier on clean installs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2013, 02:24 PM   |  #3  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 5

82 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

Ahh, good find. I just used a symbolic link (which has the advantage of moving existing apps without breaking anything) but your approach is probably easier on clean installs.

Did you have to do anything funny with permissions to make the change? What was the command to make the link and move the files?

Last time I used a symbolic link (Windows "Installer" folder *sigh*), I don't remember Windows automatically moving anything. I was probably doing it wrong, but manually set up everything so it wouldn't be lost.
4th January 2013, 01:36 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,708

5,731 posts
More
Used robocopy, with the switches to maintain ACLs and all, to copy the directory tree. Deleted the old one, and then used mklink /d to create the symbolic link.
4th January 2013, 04:17 AM   |  #5  
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 20

823 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarasu

hey guys and gals,

We all know that the Surface has limited storage. I was messing around and found a quick change to a registry key that lets you change where windows store apps are stored when installed. Tested and working on my Surface 32gb. see below for the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Appx

change the key labeled PackageRoot to whatever directory you want, and all new apps will install in that directory.

Note: this does require that you change owner and permissions on the Appx registry folder so that you can edit the key. I have tested this will no ill effects.

You can also change the app repository to another directory by changing the PackageRepository key.

Test on a class 10 32gb card. Hope this helps!

where do I change the owner and permission? I opened the reg edit as adminirtator but could not change the folder... do I have to uninstall all the apps before changing...??
4th January 2013, 06:15 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Youll need to change owner and permissions on the registry key. you can also change both on the windowsapps folder, though it isn't necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffle1234

where do I change the owner and permission? I opened the reg edit as adminirtator but could not change the folder... do I have to uninstall all the apps before changing...??

The Following User Says Thank You to tamarasu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th January 2013, 08:37 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 12

71 posts
I have not been able to get this too work. I have made the registry changes with no problems but once I do that I get an error when trying to install any item from the app store. Once I change the registry back it functions correctly. Any thoughts? I did create a directory on the SD card first and mapped the registry setting to it.

Thanks
6th January 2013, 01:13 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
No nothing special. the only difference on my system is that the sd card is formatted as ntfs instead of the default fat32 that it came as. zero issues installing apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishman

I have not been able to get this too work. I have made the registry changes with no problems but once I do that I get an error when trying to install any item from the app store. Once I change the registry back it functions correctly. Any thoughts? I did create a directory on the SD card first and mapped the registry setting to it.

Thanks

6th January 2013, 05:18 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 12

71 posts
Wonder if it is because I am using a 64 gb exfat card. I will try with another card tomorrow.
7th January 2013, 05:24 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 41

263 posts
Damn - so you have to have the SD Card formatted as NTFS? I'll have to pull a boat load of content off of the card before I reformat it, then.

Has anyone determined in the NTFS requirement is technically driven or reg setting enforced? Would be nice if there were a modification that would allow exFAT to work without going through the hassle of reformatting. I did a cursory look in the registry and didn't see anything.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread